Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 06:31 AM   #21
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
I hope I won't have to give up sex until I poop in my pants.

As long as your wallet is fat enough, even a pant load won't stop the party.

Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #22

I told my self when I get a sports car it would be a manual tranny but my woman can't drive a stick so ended up getting a TIP, no regrets this car kicks ass smoked a 745i last week.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden View Post
Porsche did a great job by installing a performance based transmission in the Boxster. This isn't your grandmother’s automatic in her Ford Granada.
I hate top break this to you, but the Tip trannie is a completely generic, off-the-shelf torque converter box, not a "performance based transmission".

The manual is also essentially bought in and there's nothing special about it, either, but let's get our facts straight from the get go.

My view, and not all agree, is that the Tip spoils the driving experience comprehensively. This is a sports car and it needs a manual transmission. It's that simple.

And yes, I've driven several Tips.

If you're happy with a Tip, buy a different car. These cars are fragile and expensive to run, which is fine if you enjoy the finely honey dynamics. The Tip compromises that thoroughly, so you may as well buy an SLK or Z4 and have a nice auto roadster without the engine worries.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
I hate top break this to you, but the Tip trannie is a completely generic, off-the-shelf torque converter box, not a "performance based transmission".

The manual is also essentially bought in and there's nothing special about it, either, but let's get our facts straight from the get go.

My view, and not all agree, is that the Tip spoils the driving experience comprehensively. This is a sports car and it needs a manual transmission. It's that simple.

And yes, I've driven several Tips.

If you're happy with a Tip, buy a different car. These cars are fragile and expensive to run, which is fine if you enjoy the finely honey dynamics. The Tip compromises that thoroughly, so you may as well buy an SLK or Z4 and have a nice auto roadster without the engine worries.
Pie hole,

Do you have any idea just what the hell your talking about?
Old 04-28-2012, 05:52 AM   #25
recycledsixtie

Garage
Each person makes their own choice. I don't criticize anybody's elses choice of car or transmission. If somebody finds driving in a city with a manual trans. tedious, then tip. is the answer. If you want to drive a tip then it is not my business. Thousands of tip owners can't be wrong.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden View Post
Pie hole,

Do you have any idea just what the hell your talking about?
Yes, but thanks for asking!
Old 05-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #27

Garage
Manual for sure, the driving experience is extremely amplified with a stick in your right hand and a clutch pedal under your left foot
BMP37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #28

Over a number of years I have owned 11 Porsche's. My 2001 base Boxter is the first Boxter, the first liquid cooled engine (well there was a 924), the first convertable and the first that didn't have a clutch. And guess what, I like the Tip just fine. Sure I miss the shifting some times but, but not near as much as I thought I might and it has pushed me in the direction of a PDK on my next P car, assuming I ever get tired of this one. Don't really think there is a one answer fits all to this question. So I guess we should all just enjoy what we have.
sailing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:12 AM   #29

I have both tip & manual cars, manual is much quicker response . Allot more fun to drive.
gilmanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:18 AM   #30

I prefer an automatic in my SUV's and truck, but my sports car has to have a manual. Just isn't as fun to drive for me without one.
Now if I had to commute in stop and go traffic with it, I may consider an automatic as that can really suck in a manual.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #31
Boxster S Bassist

Now there are drivers who can shift for themselves and I guess that makes the others "shiftless"!
John Bergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #32

I think it depends on what type of driving you'll be doing. If it's a lot city and town, shifting gets old quick. I driven several cars with paddlle shifters including my wifes ML350 and they aren't as satisfying to me. I also think it depends on what year car you're looking at. The new PDK double clutch is supposed to be a great trannie.

tanque55 is offline   Reply With Quote