986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Boxster S - tiptronic or manual? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/35062-boxster-s-tiptronic-manual.html)

henwood 04-23-2012 08:57 AM

Boxster S - tiptronic or manual?

Hi all,

I'm new to this site - hello!

Looking for some advice as I'm buying a Boxster S in the next few weeks. People have warned me off getting a tiptronic but aren't ever very specific as to why.

I far prefer manual, so that is my preference, but maybe I need to be less worried about it.

If you have a tiptronic - what is it like to drive in comparison to the manual? I assume it to be less fun in a car like this, but I'm open to persuasion.

Also, are they more likely to go (expensively) wrong?

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers,

Will

violametallic-S- 04-23-2012 09:02 AM

Manual is the way to go. Makes you feel in control and betters the driving experience.

recycledsixtie 04-23-2012 09:10 AM

My 2001 Boxster base is manual. I have never tried tiptronic except in a 911. I do like shifting gears as it is my preference. You should try both kinds of trans. I find living in a large city that I end up using gears 1-3 to keep the revs up. Tiptronic is good if you want to be hands free in a busy stop/go traffic. If you think resale it might be harder to sell a tiptronic. :) Welcome to the forum:)

BlueStar 04-23-2012 09:50 AM

I recently purchased a 2001 base Boxster with Tiptronic. I have to admit I have "second pedal" envy but the automatic transmission is a better suit to me and my driving habits, plus the car was too clean to pass up. Occasionally I will pull the shifter to manual and toggle through the gears. It's not quite the same as clutch shifting, but hey...any driving time in a boxster is great and I have had nothing but fun with my car. The Tip may actually be faster off the line once I master the technique. So the question is, How do you intend to use your car?

ekam 04-23-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henwood (Post 287531)
People have warned me off getting a tiptronic but aren't ever very specific as to why.

People = your wife? :matchup:

Soetekouw 04-23-2012 10:11 AM

I have a 2007 Boxster S with Tiptronics. Wouldn't have it any other way. It's a daily driver. Also, the 'Tip' will allow my wife to drive the car (which may be good, or bad, depending on how you look at it). The 'manual' gives you 'manual' only. The Tiptronics gives you an option; automatic or 'manual' (although not exactly the same as a 'manual'). Carefree driving through all kinds of traffic, get the Tiptronics. You want to work for to where your going, get the 'manual.'

Squozen 04-23-2012 12:20 PM

Manual. And I don't understand why women 'need' an auto.

ekam 04-23-2012 01:15 PM

Just think of it this way...

http://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/...52227551_n.jpg

ekam 04-23-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squozen (Post 287566)
Manual. And I don't understand why women 'need' an auto.

In North America, a lot of women can't drive manual. In fact, lots of guys can't drive manual nowadays because, hey, an iPad is much more cooler than a car!

vath2001 04-24-2012 01:37 AM

I have a Tip and will admit a stick would have been nice. However with my 98, the clearance in the foot well would have been tricky to drive with my size 13 feet. So one consideration would have been there ability to drive the car comfortable. I had a similar issue with a 97 Mustang.

Ghostrider 310 04-24-2012 01:56 AM

Anti theft system or gaurantee that you pray the perps who tear it up total it?

PS Would work better without shift pattern

fivepointnine 04-24-2012 04:23 AM

drove a tip, almost bought a tip-S but to me it STILL feels like you are driving a automatic that is being shifted manually like my BMW steptronic tranny, slow reaction time between the time you press the upshift button and when it actually upshifts, they should have made it more along the line of the BMW SMG (aggressive), then it would have been much better

ekam 04-24-2012 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 (Post 287631)
Anti theft system or gaurantee that you pray the perps who tear it up total it?

PS Would work better without shift pattern

Poster from another forum replied his car was almost stolen... it moved 10 feet and the guy gave up because he couldn't drive stick.

ekam 04-24-2012 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fivepointnine (Post 287638)
drove a tip, almost bought a tip-S but to me it STILL feels like you are driving a automatic that is being shifted manually like my BMW steptronic tranny,

Want to know why it feels like you're driving an automatic? Because it is an automatic. :cheers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by fivepointnine (Post 287638)
they should have made it more along the line of the BMW SMG (aggressive), then it would have been much better

SMGs are horrible in traffic, very jerky shifts at low-rpm/slow speeds.

pecora 04-24-2012 05:40 AM

Pdk

Quote:

Hi all,

Looking for some advice as I'm buying a Boxster S in the next few weeks. People have warned me off getting a tiptronic but aren't ever very specific as to why.

I far prefer manual, so that is my preference, but maybe I need to be less worried about it.

If you have a tiptronic - what is it like to drive in comparison to the manual? I assume it to be less fun in a car like this, but I'm open to persuasion.

If you can swing for a newer model you could get PDK with paddles. Though I prefer the 6sp manuel, the PDK auto/manuel appears to be an improvment over the older tiptronic.

Chers

Will

If you can swing for a newer model you could get PDK with paddles. Though I prefer the 6sp manuel:dance:, the PDK auto/manuel appears to be an improvment over the older tiptronic.

Rick

Jaxonalden 04-24-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Hi all,

Cheers,

Will

Since you asked the question of a Tiptronic owner , I guess I'll answer you with my opinion; Don't knock it till you try it.

Porsche did a great job by installing a performance based transmission in the Boxster. This isn't your grandmother’s automatic in her Ford Granada. A Tip has 5 shifting maps to accommodate different driving environments. You can also set the trans entering a corner to a gear that will net 5400 rpm's by burping the throttle. On hard acceleration the trans shifts at 6400 rpms, the peak hp rpm.

For relaxed driving the trans rolls out in 2nd gear and will be in 5th by 38 mph. Want to get aggressive? Stab the throttle at the light and it'll downshift to 1st and launch you. Don't like the auto mode? Do it all yourself with the shift levers. I've yet to do any better than the auto mode can.

Braking is the same; get aggressive with coming off the throttle and the trans will downshift allowing for engine braking while keeping the rpms up.

I'll run anyone’s manual against my Tip any day, in any situation. I can concentrate on driving the car while leaving the optimum shift points to the Tip. I love it.

thstone 04-24-2012 10:48 AM

I drove a Tip when looking for my car. The tip is good but not equal to the manual. The steering wheel buttons can seem a bit quirky compared to modern day paddles, but then quirky is pretty popular these days. The newer PDK (which I have also driven) is a vast improvement on the tip and is equal to the manual.

jcb986 04-27-2012 05:29 AM

You know, when get older pushing a clutch also gets old. I find my TIP is the best of both worlds. I can drive in auto and relax or put it in manual mode and have a blast.:cheers:

ekam 04-27-2012 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcb986 (Post 288022)
You know, when get older pushing a clutch also gets old.

I hope I won't have to give up sex until I poop in my pants.

recycledsixtie 04-27-2012 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekam (Post 288024)
I hope I won't have to give up sex until I poop in my pants.

You know when u are getting really old when u have pooped in your pants and you don't know it. I will continue driving a manual as long as I can. Now where is the nearest bathroom......:dance: