Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #1

Unhappy Just got rear-ended - ideas on replacement parts

My 02 986 just got rear ended here in Atlanta by an Econoline driven by a young remorseful girl.

If she can avoid having this on her insurance by paying me directly for repair, that is fine by me as long as the car is put together well.

Bumper pads junk, compression on rt side of the bumper cover, part of the cover is bowed in. Cover needs to be repainted. Car is emerald green.

My guess is the cover will pop back OK, the struts and the bumper insert (the actual bumper) need replacing. The alignment with taillights and the spoiler seem to be fine.

I will take it for repair estimate tomorrow but wanted to ask for any suggestions on what to look out for, any common gizmos/electronics/etc. that might be frail in the case of such a 10 mph "love tap". They of course will want to tear it down to get a proper estimate and then once car is taken apart they will expect to get the work.

Thanks for any suggestions

Last edited by Ancosta; 04-19-2012 at 03:46 PM. Reason: typo error
Ancosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Wow! Sorry to hear that. I've had my box for all of 9 months and have had to avoid being hit at least 10 times(mostly from the rear). Never have that problem in my every day car. Makes me wonder if seeing the Porsche emblem just dazzles other drivers into stupidity.

Sorry that I don't have anything useful to contribute, but I would like to see some pics of the carnage so that I know what I'm in for if I don't get out of the way in time.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #3

Garage
Give the guys at ******************************************** a call in Marrietta, GA.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #4

Hopefully you got a police report filed. Otherwise, she may sound willing to make things right today but will totally forget about her responsibility after the bills come due.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Best of luck on your repairs.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Take a good look at the exhaust system and the exhaust mount to the tranny.

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote