Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #1

Oopps! convertable top trouble

I was lowering the top and was reaching in from the outside to pop the latch and when I hit the console button didn't realize the latch was not fully disengaged. Before I could react I heard a load pop and of course, not the top will not move.

Has anyone had this problem and how can I fix it.

Thanks.:ah:

MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #2

Garage
Assuming the clamshell still operates?

Probably just popped the push rods off, hopefully the plastic cups didn't break. Check out Pelican's top repair project;

Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Convertible Top Repair - 986 / 987

It will get you acquainted with the drive mechanism so you can poke around and see what's not right...
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #3

Thanks, The clam shell works
Old 04-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #4

Garage
Good -- get it into the service position, and you should be able to see the push rods, one on each side -- if the plastic cups on the end aren't broken, you can probably just pop the socket back onto the ball that they attach to, and all will be well.

If they are broken, you'll have to order new push rods (can't just replace the plastic socket part), and replace them -- it's a pretty easy job...

Good luck...
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #5

If your plastic ball cups have broken apart, there's a guy in the Netherlands who has had just the plastic ball cups manufactured, so that you don't have to buy the complete pushrod from Porsche. If you want his info, send me a PM.

BTW, you can see the plastic ball cups with the top completely down if you look into the convertible top well just 2 or 3 inches aft of where the rear of the door meets the rear quarter panel. If your Boxster is an early one (1997-1999) and it has the original ball cups, they are red. The later Boxsters have white OEM plastic ball cups.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #6

Thanks everyone, I just got the pivot rods and successfully installed them. Snapping the cups over the balls was a little more of a trial than was instructed (I eventually used a broom handle instead of a screwdriver) all went well.

I really appreciate the help and wouldn't have known what to do without this board.

Cheers,

Mark