Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #1

Boxster front wheel bearings

Hi All... Having some issues with reinstallation of front wheel bearings on my 2001 S. Have pressed out the hub then bearing (intact) from my carrier without problems. Also pressed in new bearing with out issues. When I went to install hub and was hand seating it it pulled out the inner race from the bearing. Am I able to press that race back in without any issues or is the bearing toast? The balls are all still in place. Thanks for any help or input.

goldenhse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #2

Sure sounds like you got a new, bad bearing! I'd get another one as its too much work to take a chance on versus the price of the part.

I have not done my front bearings but did both the rear bearings last year. There was no issue installing the hub back into the race.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
Ex Esso kid

You need to check out the opposite side to know for sure, some bearings are not in sealed carriers and the inner race sleeve and bearing can separate, that how the old Fiat was not sure about modern Porsche design.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #4

Emailed tech support at Pelican Parts about issue and they replied not uncommon for inner race to separate and should just hand press or tap back in. They said bearing will be fine but I'm not comfortable with that. Tried to re insert inner race but no luck. Agree with comment about replacement so ordered 2 new from my local Porsche dealer. Replaced several other front suspension parts so to much expense and labor to risk iffy bearing. Will see what Pelican will do about bearings. Purchased their SIR tool for the job which works great!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:48 AM   #5
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

you should use the SIR tool to put the hub back in. If done correctly, it will support the bearing on the backside so it doesn't split.

Tommy
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #6

Was preparing to use the SIR for insertion of the hub. Was just lineing the hub up by hand when the race stuck to the hub shaft while re positioning, pulling the split race out. I feel it came apart way to easily? Thought maybe bearing pressed in backwards but no indication of front or rear of bearing. Markings the same both sides and measurements all the same with caliper. Both sides appeared identical.