Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #1

Unhappy I have blood on my brand new tires .. squirrel blood ..

Today started out as a good day .. work isn't busy so I figure I'll take some time to scrub in my brand new tires before an AX tomorrow ..

Sun is shining .. throw on the Oakleys .. fill up the tank .. check the tire pressure again and head to a favorite backroad ..

About 3-4 minutes and maybe 10 twists and turns into it .. I was focused looking for the next corner .. I see him shooting across the road .. I tried to brake but it was too late ..

Felt the thuds under my tire and I felt my own heart stop too for a split second .. then the realization set in that after 14 yrs of driving I've killed my first squirrel. Now I know for some that's a weekly occurrence, but I actually like small furry critters.

Totally ruined the mood for me so I called it quit and headed back. Still am a little bit shaken up, but here's a picture of the little guy ( probably NSFW ).

LINK

vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #2

Garage
So much for a family show around here .
Old 03-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #3

What happened to the ears? Did you cut them off as souvenir?
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #4

No, ear still intact .. just bent back ? .. family show is why I only linked to the pic. =T
Old 03-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
Ex Esso kid

Who you kidding Johnny? It was likely a sleeper cell squirrel, couldn't take the pressure anymore, he wanted to die, car seemed like the quick choice over a poison nut.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #6

Squirrel fricasse, potatoes on the side, mmmm.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #7

That poor squirrel had an eye popping experience. Unfortunately he ended up keeping an eye out for you to late.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
Track rat

Garage
Hitting a squirrel is not so bad. This guy almost hit a buffalo. Now that would have made a mess:

Old 03-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Who you kidding Johnny? It was likely a sleeper cell squirrel, couldn't take the pressure anymore, he wanted to die, car seemed like the quick choice over a poison nut.
I knew that squirrels' family ....
Old 03-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
Ex Esso kid

Face it, he was so far under the government itself had lost track of his location until his death. It can be outed now, he was tied to the diamond cartel, trying to put a grab on all the world's nuts, you know like Elton John.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
recycledsixtie

Garage
Let's put this in perspective. Many years back I hit a dog(somebody's pet) and obviously broke his neck as it keeled over dead. I tried to locate the owner. Unable. So put the dead dog on the back seat of my old VW beetle. Buried it near my house. I think that you will get over the death of a squirrel. I understand your concern. Time heals..
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Face it, he was so far under the government itself had lost track of his location until his death. It can be outed now, he was tied to the diamond cartel, trying to put a grab on all the world's nuts, you know like Elton John.

vijen6 could have at least buried him at sea .
Old 03-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
Let's put this in perspective. Many years back I hit a dog(somebody's pet) and obviously broke his neck as it keeled over dead. I tried to locate the owner. Unable. So put the dead dog on the back seat of my old VW beetle. Buried it near my house. I think that you will get over the death of a squirrel. I understand your concern. Time heals..

Sounds like you did the right thing.

/
Old 03-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #14

Garage
Last year my wife unknowingly brought home a squirrel from where she works. The reason I know this is that there are no squirrels in our neighborhood and there are allot of them where she works. In fact there have been multiple cars vandalized by those varmints where she works... California Ground Squirrels chew the electrical wires in any auto they climb into.

One day coming home I saw a squirrel in the neighbor’s yard and thought to myself that was strange. Going into my house I found my wife pouting, I asked what is wrong; she said her car wouldn’t start. So after inspecting, and knowing something major was wrong, I had her car towed to the dealership. The dealership called a couple hours later and said a rodent chewed through and electrical cable to the tune of $450!! That little*%$#^ squirrel got a ride to our house in my wife’s car, then chewed on my wife’s car!

Over the next week I would see that squirrel running around the neighborhood and scampering under neighbor’s parked cars. Well that following weekend I was doing some remodeling work on the house and had the Jägermobile sitting in the driveway (to make room in the garage for the table and tile saws) and guess what I saw run under my car? Yep, and when I looked around and under the car that squirrel was nowhere to be seen. IT HAD CLIMBED UP INTO MY BOXSTER! So I grabbed the key and jumped into the Jägermobile (and being the Jäger that I am) quickly turned the key to hear the sudden thump behind the seat. It took a little work to access the engine compartment to remove that little %&*#$@, but no more wire chewing squirrel!

300K Mile Club

Last edited by Jager; 03-31-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
So I have another story for this thread… Coming home from work I met the UPS driver in front of my house (I live at the end of a cul-de-sac). I stopped and rolled-down the window to ask him if he had a package I was expecting. After completing our conversation I started moving forward and felt the Jägermobile front right wheel then rear right wheel roll over something. I looked into my rear view mirror and in the middle of the street was my neighbor’s, and very good friend’s, Chihuahua. Needless to say it was tough to tell them, and their kids, what happened. They did say that little guy liked to chase UPS trucks, but what I had a hard time with is that I was at a dead stop. I ran over him as I slowly started moving forward from a dead stop.

300K Mile Club
Old 03-31-2012, 03:41 AM   #16
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
So I grabbed the key and jumped into the Jägermobile (and being the Jäger that I am) quickly turned the key to hear the sudden thump behind the seat. It took a little work to access the engine compartment to remove that little %&*#$@, but no more wire chewing squirrel!
And here I thought the little varmint was going to get a ride to some other neighborhood and live happily ever after. Sounds like he wanted some tasty nibbles of your serpentine belt. rip.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:57 AM   #17

Someone should lock this thread. I'm reading it at 6:54 am and it's about to start my day out all wrong with talk of dogs dying...

I runned over a squirrel once. They're just rats with furry tails.... Never forgt that.

Go figure. I have a huge heart of compassion for a dog and no mercy for squirrels!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Someone should lock this thread. I'm reading it at 6:54 am and it's about to start my day out all wrong with talk of dogs dying...

With all good things in life there's also the bad. Just hope the good always outweighs your bad. And as recycledsixtie wrote "Time Heals", I had almost forgotten my terrible experiences until vijen6 started this thread! That's OK, by sharing is therapeutic. Now I have to call my Psychiatrist... Again.

300K Mile Club
Old 03-31-2012, 01:56 PM   #19

Better a squirrel than a pheasant ..... (no it wasn't me)

2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #20

Jeeze .. looking at what happened to the rear wind deflector window .. driver is lucky it didn't smash through the front glass toward him.

And yeah .. its probably time this thread got closed .. just wanted to share my experience for free therapy. =)