Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2006, 10:18 AM   #41

Send a message via AIM to bhduxbury
add me to the bose stereo problem.

cd working fine, park and turn car off, didn't touch the stereo, come back out, start the car, stereo reads "STOP" and no controls work. i ejected the cd but didn't fully remove it to no effect. will fiddle around some more.

just hit 500mi.

bhduxbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:54 AM   #42
KronixSpeed

i'm guessing the car is a 2005

well it is the first year of production, these problems are common. with any car that is in its first year, it will cause you problems.....only from my experience.

seeeu
Old 01-18-2006, 11:02 AM   #43

You didn't check out how old this thread is, did ya? Yes, the car is a 2005.

The stereo problem isn't fixed, my porsche guys keep saying they'll talk to their reps to see if there's a solution but they haven't come back with anything yet.

Porsche stereos are crap in general, from what I'm told. Blah.

If anyone's interested, my car's been pretty happy lately, although there's some creaking/squeaking from the instrument cluster and the top sometimes squiggles over bumps.

I have 12,000 miles already. How did THAT happen??
Old 01-18-2006, 11:33 AM   #44

Send a message via AIM to bhduxbury
mine's a brand new 2006 -- build date nov. 2005
bhduxbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:13 PM   #45

I'm glad i'm not the only one having problems with my '05 987S....not sure if that's a good thing.

I still have that rattling noise from the engine at 2100rpm-3000rpm, but it's not as bad as the original motor. I can live with it.

My window on the passengers side is making noise again....I'll have to mention the 3 nice scratches the dealer made while replacing it the first time.

Got my windstop "fixed" with cushion tape.

Debating whether to replace the stereo now or wait. I noticed when I goto a previous cd track for the first time, it goes to track 1 no matter what track I was on.
mrsparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:57 AM   #46

My own view is that, unfortunately, sports cars are at the same time expensive but a bit unreliable. One cannot think about them like one does about buying a 7 series BMW or a really nice Merc sedan. problems just come with the territory. I used to be into the BMW z4 until the 987 came out (personally hated the 986 headlights). The issues that the Z4 have are countless, including a well documented failure in the steering system when the car spent a few hours under the sun. Compared to the main Z4 online forum, this 986/987 forum is reassuring. It has an order of magnitude of problems reported with the car than those reported by Z4 owners.
joaovc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:14 PM   #47

This is true, although the argument goes that since we paid so much, we should be able to expect SOME level of quality.

So far I'm fine with the mechanical issues, but the little annoyances make me ask, "why?!" It cant' be that hard to get it right--so far the dealer's fixes for the noises have been felt tape (to stop the windstop rattling) and teflon tape around the gauge binnacle contact points, which didn't fix the creaking I'm hearing.