Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #1

HELP, locked keys in trunk! Stranded...

hello guys, I lost my keys and have been looking for the past 3-4 days. I'm stuck at my gf's house while I live hours away from here. I have a 2000 porsche boxster S. How can I open up my trunk and front hood without the keys? HELP PLEASE had to skip work.

usna_porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by usna_porsche View Post
hello guys, I lost my keys and have been looking for the past 3-4 days. I'm stuck at my gf's house while I live hours away from here. I have a 2000 porsche boxster S. How can I open up my trunk and front hood without the keys? HELP PLEASE had to skip work.
Sorry to hear that. In this situation, I would break my driver door window to get in. Open the trunk. $300 to replace window.
ProjectM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #3

do you have the valet key in your wallet ? Or coat hanger

Last edited by milliemax; 03-15-2012 at 10:52 AM.
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
1999 base

Garage
remove the wheel cover and search for the emergency release cable under one of the headlights (in my car its on the passenger side)
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #5

ATTENTION EVERYONE There are posts on how to install emergency "rip cords" for front and rear lids. Please read them and GO DO IT !!! NOW !!!. GEEEEEZ you guys are PORSCHE owners, not tricycle owners. This forum is full of outstanding information to help KEEP you OUT of trouble.
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #6

thanks for all the response, i'm looing on the search button at moment. Only got one key sadly when purchased car. Do i have to remove my rear bumper to get to release cable?
usna_porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by usna_porsche View Post
thanks for all the response, i'm looing on the search button at moment. Only got one key sadly when purchased car. Do i have to remove my rear bumper to get to release cable?
No. Remove the driver side front wheel. The release cable should be hidden in the wheel well for the front trunk. Then you must remove a piece of plastic trim to see the front trunk release cable. Judging from the second picture, a bumper may need to be removed to access the rear.

Front Trunk: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads17/IMG_17741272101264.jpg

Rear Trunk: http://i14.tinypic.com/2mwxmgx.jpg

Good luck and godspeed.

Last edited by Kenny Boxster; 03-15-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
.................................................. .................................

Last edited by particlewave; 03-16-2012 at 01:13 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #9

Call AAA or a related company to open your door. My door lock broke and they had me inside in ten minutes. Don't break a window that's ridiculous.
Earn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #10

where are your keys? if they're in the back, why do you need to get the front open? if they're in the front why do you need to get the rear open? why not just open the one that has the key and then unlock the door...

your best bet is to call AAA and have them deal with it. once the cabin is open you'll be able to release the front or rear trunk, whichever one contains your key.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #11

Check your private messages...
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #12

If the immobilizer senses that the car got broken into (and breaking a window or have AAA open the door will do the trick) it goes into "don't steal me" mode and will disable the trunk releases. So getting - by whatever means - into the cabin does not help you at all
Back to the remote cables we go ...
Ask me how I know ....
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
Custom User Title Here

Garage
.................................................. ......................

Last edited by particlewave; 03-16-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #14
Registered Boxster abuser

Am I unaware of something on our 2000s? Once the drivers door is open can't you pull up on the rear release by the driver's seat or is that some how disabled?
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthservices View Post
Am I unaware of something on our 2000s? Once the drivers door is open can't you pull up on the rear release by the driver's seat or is that some how disabled?
I've never tested this (perhaps I WILL!), but...I suspect that the system (mine's no doubt similar...an '01) is sophisticated enough that if someone 'breaks into' the cabin (however that action is defined), the controls for the trunk and the frunk would be disabled. At least I've always assumed as much...
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #16
Custom User Title Here

Garage
.................................................. .............................

Last edited by particlewave; 03-16-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang View Post
If the immobilizer senses that the car got broken into (and breaking a window or have AAA open the door will do the trick) it goes into "don't steal me" mode and will disable the trunk releases. So getting - by whatever means - into the cabin does not help you at all
Back to the remote cables we go ...
Ask me how I know ....
That was a really bad day:
ALMS finale in Laguna Seca a few years ago, parked in"Porscheplatz Parking" and locked EVERYTHING (Cell phone, Wallet, keys, Jacket) in the rear trunk. Before I slammed the trunk shut I checked in my pocket that I had my key there, but what felt like my key was actually the plastic box in which I had my earplugs...
I found that out a few hours later
My wife was our of the country and none of my buddies' whose cell phone numbers I could remember picked up
Called AAA who opened up the main cabin, but no dice
At the end I found a "Samaritian" - another Porsche guy from Santa Barbara (which is in Southern CA) who drove me all the way to San Carlos (which is in Northern CA and where I had my spare keys) and back to Laguna the same night. The only thing he wanted that I pay him for the gas - what a guy
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #18

Sounds like a good excuse for a road trip and free gas to do it. Like I always say when riding the motorcycles or driving the cars. It isn't the destination; it is the journey.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:14 AM   #19

I wonder if Mr usna porsche is going to reply to all this good information of getting into the car, or.......
Old 06-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #20

Smile boxster keys in trunk

I realize this is a 987, but this may also work for other years. My son locked his only key in the rear trunk. Everyone said nothing could be done. Then one of his inexperienced friends reached above the left muffler shield, bent it slightly, found an emergency release cable, pulled it and magically the trunk opened! Hope this helps others.

tsandfor is offline   Reply With Quote