Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
The real question is whether the 981 is the equivalent of the 280Z (the luxury bloated follow-on to the success of the 240Z and 260Z)? Has the Boxster finally jumped the shark?

Based on the reviews, I'd say yes on both counts. The new 981 isn't new enough or better enough to warrant an upgrade from a 986 or a 987 as far as I can see.
I'm not a huge fan of the 981's looks or the fact it's bigger, but I think that comparison is probably unfair.

It's actually lighter and more powerful than the old model and the lightness is thanks to a shift to largely aluminium construction. So it's hard to argue that the engineering integrity isn't there.

Personally, I think it's a natural progression from the 987 and a largely pretty impressive one even if I think the rear end is horrid and the electric steering a step too far.

It's not for me, the 981, but they haven't jumped the sharp.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
Perhaps.

On the other hand, if the one and only thing I knew about the new Boxster was that it was the first to appeal to people who liked 911 cabs, I would definitely consider that to be a very bad thing.
Ah, I gave you credit for knowing more than that about the new Boxster. My bad.
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker View Post
Ah, I gave you credit for knowing more than that about the new Boxster. My bad.
Props for entirely missing my point.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #24

Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of the 981's looks or the fact it's bigger, but I think that comparison is probably unfair.

It's actually lighter and more powerful than the old model and the lightness is thanks to a shift to largely aluminium construction. So it's hard to argue that the engineering integrity isn't there.
I have to agree, on the time sheets zee Germans rarely miss with a new Porsche.

The fact that the 991 S, stock, is quicker right out of the gate than a 997 GT3 tells you some big improvements have been made on the engineering side.

The 981 front end is growing on me. A baby Ferrari California.
Those gimicky doors and Panamera rear end not really.

There was an interesting fan letter to the editor in Excellence from a San Francisco Porsche driver complaining about the lack of physical e-brake lever in the 991 for steep hill traffic light stops.

The editor told him to brush up on his heel and toe.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-14-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Props for entirely missing my point.
And to you for missing my gentle but oh so clever dismantling of it.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker View Post
And to you for missing my gentle but oh so clever dismantling of it.
Oh well, at least you have a fertile imagination.

Anyway, you're flat wrong. If the new Boxster is attractive to buyers who normally like chintzed out, overweight, floppy 911 cabs, that says something about the changes they've made. And it's reasonable to conclude it's possible, perhaps likely, those changes won't be for the better if you like the Boxster because it's a great sports car.

That's a very different rationale from liking a car because of its image.

Pretty obvious, really. Surprised someone with such an imposing intellect, albeit hitherto entirely self-styled, could overlook this.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Oh well, at least you have a fertile imagination.

Anyway, you're flat wrong. If the new Boxster is attractive to buyers who normally like chintzed out, overweight, floppy 911 cabs, that says something about the changes they've made. And it's reasonable to conclude it's possible, perhaps likely, those changes won't be for the better if you like the Boxster because it's a great sports car.

That's a very different rationale from liking a car because of its image.

Pretty obvious, really. Surprised someone with such an imposing intellect, albeit hitherto entirely self-styled, could overlook this.
Self-styled? Don't you mean self-annointed or even self-aggrandized? I've never really thought of intellects as stylish or not.

That said, it sounds as though you've spent exactly as much time driving 99X cabs as you have 981s, so I will attach equal weight to your well-formed opinions of each.

Cheers!