Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
Frank

To clear bra, or not to clear bra?

I'm in the process of removing my clear bra (:troll, and I'm thinking I should have another re-installed. I think it's worth it to help the paint stay clean, also because I live in an area prone to lots of bugs and rock chips, I think it's a smart decision. Opinions?

I know a lot of people hate it.

1987 Porsche 924S - GT3 rep seats, konis, full leather, late dash swap, etc.
1980 Porsche 924. Tan/White exterior, it matched my sweater.
PoBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #2

I clear bra'd the entire leading edge including bumper, 24 inches up the hood, the windshield frame,headlights and fog lights, side mirrors as well as the inside lip of the wheel wells and a spot behind the rear wheels.
I definitely say go for it.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
WV Boxster

Garage
I would but my local place wants almost $2000 for that. I just can't see that much for a 12 year old paint job.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #4

Mine has been on since day 1. It's the second clear bra on this car as the bras do tend to peel after a while. They are amazing as you know. Don't forget the mirrors
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #5

Garage
If you want to protect your front bumper - definitely !
Old 02-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #6

No reason to hate or dislike it. Clear bra's work great and add value to your car - unlike almost every other modification. Take care of the product and it will last you for many years.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #7

I'm going to have mine done as soon as possible. The same guy that did my tint is going to do it.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #8

I bought mine from a guy called chipguardman on e bay, the chaps name is Steve Gullockson I believe. Fitted the bra myself , though it takes a lot of patience and you need to be quite firm with stretching it into place. The key thing to remember is use the alcohol based solution to lock in the starting point and the soap slip solution to allow the material to be stretched to shape. Avoid getting dirt under the film and fingerprints on the adhesive if you can , the job ends up looking much better as a result. Ended up with mirror backs , front hood ( partial) front fenders, and front bumper (PU) all done . If the car doesnt have original paint then the clear bra is a must , as any resprayed paint wont be a tough as the original factory paint.
berty987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:33 AM   #9
WV Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by berty987 View Post
I bought mine from a guy called chipguardman on e bay, the chaps name is Steve Gullockson I believe. Fitted the bra myself , though it takes a lot of patience and you need to be quite firm with stretching it into place. The key thing to remember is use the alcohol based solution to lock in the starting point and the soap slip solution to allow the material to be stretched to shape. Avoid getting dirt under the film and fingerprints on the adhesive if you can , the job ends up looking much better as a result. Ended up with mirror backs , front hood ( partial) front fenders, and front bumper (PU) all done . If the car doesnt have original paint then the clear bra is a must , as any resprayed paint wont be a tough as the original factory paint.
Price.....please I would love to have this done.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

Definitely worth it. I wish that I had installed one when I got my car. Now, I'm probably going to need to have the front bumper cover re-painted. Live and learn.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #11

Not sure of the current price , but I seem to recall the complete kit was around 400 usd.
berty987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #12
Ex Esso kid

OK so the Spyder has CB even on the mirror backs! At first I didn't like it because my eye was drawn to the places where seams had to be made for contour allowances. All I could think of was the Italians who used to CB the couch, just who are we saving the virgin paint for? Our old age? However, I clay bared the seams to get the dirt and old wax and porter cabled everything including the CB! It looks freakin awesome! You can barely see the CB and you have to be right up on it, I see the logic given the loose stones, car height and cost.

PS I used to detail at a dealership, I used everything, this stuff is the best, period, machine or hand, just get the duo pack and apply your eyes will pop out when you see the result.

http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-car-care.html?gclid=CKbJtNf0w64CFQRN4AodZle6Tg

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 02-29-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #13

if the car is new or your paint is already in good shape, I would always recommend the clear bra option.

A respray might cost just as much down the road, but you would have to live with a chipped and crummy paint until you did get the respray.

$2000 sounds very overpriced for a boxster, I would look for another installer. A front bumper, partial hood, partial fenders, hood, and mirrors on a boxster shouldn't run more than $650 installed.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #14
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by berty987 View Post
Not sure of the current price , but I seem to recall the complete kit was around 400 usd.
If you're talking about a pre-cut "kit", I would definitely stay away from those. They will not fit or protect like a properly installed wrap. That and unless the buyer is a skilled installer you'll likely need two kits to get it done right - and that blows the $200 or so saved by buying a kit. Have someone do it professionally and it will save you more than the installed price in the long run.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S. View Post
I clear bra'd the entire leading edge including bumper, 24 inches up the hood, the windshield frame,headlights and fog lights, side mirrors as well as the inside lip of the wheel wells and a spot behind the rear wheels.
I definitely say go for it.
My local clear bra/window tint guy did my car for $450. He has done my last 4 or 5 cars now. If you have friends with nice cars find out who did theirs and I bet you can find a reasonable deal.