Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #61

He's just as bad as those people that tells his friends and relatives he has cancer but in fact he's just looking to scam them for money.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #62

Garage
I feel like a fool for backing him trying to part out the parts...lesson learned.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #63

Garage
Man, this is revolting. While Porsche engineered flawed parts worthy of being trashed, the lack of scruples demonstrated by this poster has shed embarrassment reflecting all owners of Porsche. I am mortified at the audacity of some people...
Old 02-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxeer View Post
Yes I bought it toasted! but I prefer that case scenario than buying it running (almost dead) drive couple miles and then get stuck at a red light because of IMS bearing.
You bought it - the way you preferred it and now you're parting it out while wondering how to get Porsche to replace an engine in a car you are currently dismantling? And you have the poor judgement to trash them?

You need to take that roller you bought and try to get your money out of it since you were clearly advised to stay away from it by members here.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:03 AM   #65

"I think there is 0 (Zero) relationship between the life of the vehicle and if a person just start to own it running or not".

I feel a real idiot even replying to this gonad. He's probably sat there smirking !!

What goes around, comes around mate.......

Last edited by Steve Tinker; 03-01-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:18 AM   #66
Ex Esso kid

Well, I'm going to give him the benefit of one doubt. When I was younger as a lot of you know my dad had a car dealership. I had a lot of HS friends who bought cars that were barely passing inspection many times to have "that" car. Sometimes it was worse than that they bought because it had Cragars or a Pioneer supertuner III. My brother and I got a lot of tang fixing some of those mistakes, seems like every girl brought us orange drink as a thank you for our refined wrenching skills! When I sold my 986 it was yet to be smoked in, pristine inside, I didn't want to sell it as a roller but it turned out to be the blessing everyone said it would. I can see how someone yearning for a Porsche and unaware that trying to get one on the cheap never is, could get snookered into buying one. I wanted to buy an Opel GT that sat nine years through school in a yard rotting, thank god my father vetoed that notion. The distinction with this lad is people with experience and multiple P car ownership tried to keep him from a mistake, in the end we make our own choices. I owned a modded X19 that we had to pound the rusted pistons out of to rebuild, thing is we had a full dealer shop, parts out the yang, three racks, factory manuals, training and plenty of time. Even in perfect health I wouldn't want to fix that Fiat again.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 03-01-2012 at 02:35 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:06 AM   #67

Garage
Yes Ghost but this guy jumped on the bus after the accident and now is saying his neck hurts.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:55 AM   #68

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Well, I'm going to give him the benefit of one doubt. When I was younger as a lot of you know my dad had a car dealership. I had a lot of HS friends who bought cars that were barely passing inspection many times to have "that" car. Sometimes it was worse than that they bought because it had Cragars or a Pioneer supertuner III. My brother and I got a lot of tang fixing some of those mistakes, seems like every girl brought us orange drink as a thank you for our refined wrenching skills! When I sold my 986 it was yet to be smoked in, pristine inside, I didn't want to sell it as a roller but it turned out to be the blessing everyone said it would. I can see how someone yearning for a Porsche and unaware that trying to get one on the cheap never is, could get snookered into buying one. I wanted to buy an Opel GT that sat nine years through school in a yard rotting, thank god my father vetoed that notion. The distinction with this lad is people with experience and multiple P car ownership tried to keep him from a mistake, in the end we make our own choices. I owned a modded X19 that we had to pound the rusted pistons out of to rebuild, thing is we had a full dealer shop, parts out the yang, three racks, factory manuals, training and plenty of time. Even in perfect health I wouldn't want to fix that Fiat again.
The first statement I thought you meant "Poon Tang", the second proved me wrong.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:50 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden View Post
The first statement I thought you meant "Poon Tang", the second proved me wrong.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one lol, what a Ted Nugent moment. Between that and the "gonad" reference above it I felt a surreal '70's trip.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:00 AM   #70
Ex Esso kid

Comon' guys, do you really think we drank that much space orange juice? In our world at that time whatever worked......worked.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:09 AM   #71
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
Yes Ghost but this guy jumped on the bus after the accident and now is saying his neck hurts.

Well he can always sit in it and pretend he's driving it, hey it's the only driving I've done so far. My mileage has been fantastic, I have not cussed on one trip, no door dings and certainly no collisions.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
I'm glad I wasn't the only one lol, what a Ted Nugent moment. Between that and the "gonad" reference above it I felt a surreal '70's trip.
I feel better now. I was like
Old 03-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Comon' guys, do you really think we drank that much space orange juice? In our world at that time whatever worked......worked.
Only Johnny Danger drinks that much "Tang"...
Old 03-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #74

Some people think the deserve something for nothing. It makes it harder for everyone else.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #75

I'm just curious how the OP thought that Porsche or a dealer would miss the fact that he bought a car that wasn't running? That would obviously need to invovle some very drastic ommissions or straight up false statements.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Old 03-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #76

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Pull the IMS bearing and send it to the CEO of Porsche with a letter giving him the details of the vehicle, your situation, and ask him for his recommendation. Keep the letter polite and professional.
Dear Mr. Müller,
I recently purchased a 2005 Boxster with 42,000 miles for $5000 but unfortunately the engine was toast (you know, the IMS bearing thing). I don’t have the $27,000 + labor to replace the motor, what do you recommend I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Signed,
Help Me

300K Mile Club
Old 03-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #77

Although the forum has been somewhat scammed by the OP, he has a point about a low mileage car getting fixed at Porsche's expense. His question is valid weather or not he is the original owner or he purchased it already toasted. I think Porsche needs to stand behind ALL of their cars that have IMS failure provided the car is under 100K miles and they can satisfy themselves the car has not been abused.

Example:Triumph motorcycle has a problem with their Rocket III models. They have been standing behind many of the repairs and subsequent upgrades and rebuilds of the model even for bikes years out of warranty no matter if you are first or second owner. I purchased mine new in 2007 and purchased a 6 year extended warranty just in case. So far mine is OK. The problem is hit or miss just like the IMS.

You would think the new price of a Porsche should easily pay for a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty. If a cheap $15,000 Hyundai can come with it, why can't a $50,000 to $100,000 plus Porsche ????
Old 03-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #78
Forum Sponsor

Garage
The original poster of the thread seems to realize that he made a big mistake and has asked me to close this thread, which seems like a wise thing to do now. There doesn't seem to be any more good tech content to add?

-Wayne

• 101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper

Now Available:
• 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997
Closed Thread