Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
recycledsixtie

Garage
Do Boxsters rust....

I wonder if you have ever seen a rusty Boxster? If rust starts, where is it likely to form? I will check my drainholes this spring. Any special treatment to prevent rust? I have a 2001 Boxster base and wash it frequently.

recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
I wonder if you have ever seen a rusty Boxster? If rust starts, where is it likely to form? I will check my drainholes this spring. Any special treatment to prevent rust? I have a 2001 Boxster base and wash it frequently.

I"ve never noticed rust on any Boxster, and I have no rust on my '02. I also have no spots that look like they will form rust anytime soon. But, it's a good question and I'd be curious to know where the weak spots are.

By comparison, my wife's '02 Honda has some minor rust spots. So in my garage (somewhat limited sample size): Porsche > Honda

Last edited by fatmike; 02-23-2012 at 10:05 AM.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Ex Esso kid

They bubble right under the air intake for some crazy reason
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #4

Not as bad as my '03 F150!
'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
Ex Esso kid

Not fair to the Ford, my Escape has to eat specially designed adhering salts which NY drops like they are flying over Dresden. I know one Spyder that is going to have to be for sitting in only for at least two more months.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #6

Garage
You have not seen rust until you look at British mild steel from the 70s and 80s. Most all examples of this era fell apart faster than British Leyland. I think there might be a relic or two in a special hyperbaric chamber in the British Museum in London but that is about it.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #7

Very good question, something I wonder about too. I have a very early 1997 example in the UK that has very probably spent a good deal of its life living in our ghastly, rust-tastic conditions. And as far as I am aware, there's no rust at all. Moreover, I have never seen a rusty Boxster.

There are plenty of much younger cars that are getting very rusty now. Say what you want about the quality of the water-cooled generation, but it would appear the steel quality and rust proofing of 986s is absolutely top notch.

That said, as the poster mentioned above, I have heard of a few reports of them rusting through just below the side air intake. Never seen this, but like I said, have heard of it.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
You have not seen rust until you look at British mild steel from the 70s and 80s. Most all examples of this era fell apart faster than British Leyland. I think there might be a relic or two in a special hyperbaric chamber in the British Museum in London but that is about it.
You got that right! My 1971 Triumph TR-6 used to rust while sitting in a warm dry garage in LA. Can't imagine that those cars ever lasted more than three years in the UK.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:37 AM   #9

The materials, their applied rust treatments, This information is classified above TOP SECRET and on the need to know basis only, and aren't even known to any GOV bodies nor you, Mr, will ever find out. There are little things that porsche cars have all in common, being 'special' is one of them

Does rusty brake rotors counts?!
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:15 AM   #10

Garage
The key to Boxster (Porsche) longevity is that they hot dip galvanize all modern Porsche chassis in the manufacturing process. It makes a huge difference in the life of a car.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:19 AM   #11

That's it, Landrovered.... the "P" SWAT Team are going to knock your door in exactly 30min. How did you find out... they will take both your PC and your car away mate :/
Old 02-24-2012, 05:02 AM   #12

The screws on the clamps holding the intake tube in my engine bay have rusted. Does that count?
ProjectM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectM96 View Post
The screws on the clamps holding the intake tube in my engine bay have rusted. Does that count?
No. But the damn porsche rusting lug bolts does
Old 02-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #14

The nut behind the steering wheel in my car is a little rusty...
Old 02-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #15
Ex Esso kid

Too bad Porsche cannot hold up to the legendary standards of rust inhibiting properties discovered by the Italians and used here..
Old 02-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #16

My '98 Box does not have one spot of rust on it. However, my '06 Silverado that has never spent a night outdoors has rust on the rear bumper and on the wheels. Today I saw an '02 Buick with the rocker panels totally rusted away. Maybe GM will get it right one of these days.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
You got that right! My 1971 Triumph TR-6 used to rust while sitting in a warm dry garage in LA. Can't imagine that those cars ever lasted more than three years in the UK.
No rust on any of my pcars. They all have the galvinized coating and all are subjected to rust. On the British side of it my 75 tr6 was driven in the winter every year for ten years and no rust either! Here it is and has never been restored.

and my other Brit does has very little rust but it does have problems where the aluminum is reacting with the steel. The key is to keep them clean.

Last edited by amschnellsten; 02-24-2012 at 02:57 PM.
amschnellsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #18

Garage
Yes the beauty of aluminum is it just disappears.

My 93 RRC, the drivers side floor rusted out, the bulkhead on my 72 series III 109 turned to swiss cheese, the undercarriage on my 03 HSE is pitted and the powder coat is flaking off, my 93 NAS 110 had rust issues if I was not constantly vigilant.

Land Rover stole the secret formula for rust from Alfa Romeo
Old 02-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #19
Ex Esso kid

I have ten bucks at Vegas that TR was not driven in winters where road salt is used ubiquitously.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
I have ten bucks at Vegas that TR was not driven in winters where road salt is used ubiquitously.
Bad bet! I live in Cincinnati and the city turns our roads into the Salar de Uyuni every time their is a threat of a dusting. If you look at the pic I still have my ugly brown winter hard top on. There are two sneaky reasons that this car has lasted, it was always washed when returned home and when it was new it was Ziebarted. My Father that gave me the car was a Leyland enthusiast and always had his MGs and TRs ziebarted when he bought them.

Last edited by amschnellsten; 02-24-2012 at 03:42 PM.
amschnellsten is offline   Reply With Quote