Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 04:57 AM   #1
WV Boxster

Garage
my seem silly but here goes

Is there anyway to put a switch that turns on and off the shift buttons on steering wheel. For some reason I hit one when i am turning at a low rate of speed and end up in first gear with a high rev and lots of giddy up but no where to go.

I would like to put a switch on dash and turn on when I intend to use them and off when I don't.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #2

Not that silly, I've wondered this myself. I usually hit it with my elbow or something by accident when turning and it shifts...

I thought about only making them "active" when the Tip shifter is in the "M" mode. That'd be neat.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvboxst3r View Post
Is there anyway to put a switch that turns on and off the shift buttons on steering wheel. For some reason I hit one when i am turning at a low rate of speed and end up in first gear with a high rev and lots of giddy up but no where to go.

I would like to put a switch on dash and turn on when I intend to use them and off when I don't.
Tilt the seat's backrest back so your harms are almost straight when you have hands on wheels. Your chest is too close to the steeringwheel. Do yu have a 45 degree angle in both arms when driving?
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #4

6'1" with ridiculously long arms to match. seat's all the way back. still can't seem to avoid it at times. I have to be conscious about it to not hit it.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
WV Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness View Post
6'1" with ridiculously long arms to match. seat's all the way back. still can't seem to avoid it at times. I have to be conscious about it to not hit it.
agreed, I could not believe that I fit in Boxster. I really never thought that I could,I have always had trucks or suv so that I can fit.

In the Boxster the seat all the way back, the wheel all the way forward and up. It just hits my hand when I go to spin the wheel for a big turn low speed.

So any ideas?
Old 02-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #6

Is that your blue Boxster? That picture was taken in my friends studio. That's a beautiful low mile car.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

I'd have to look at the wiring diagram but I'm sure that it would be possible to place a dash switch in line with the tip control switches. The only question is what the controller needs to detect when the tip switches are disengaged so it doesn't think that there is a failure in the circuit.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #8

I'm 6'2" and at the end of the seat settings. Anyone over that don't fit in this car.

Did changed the wheel however. Gave me a good +2" on the arms stretch.... just feels fantastic now!

Check out Design911 . com they have pretty decent quality steering wheels for the Boxster (fits all p cars really). The damage on those quality wheels is less than $1000 so if I were you dearest GIANT, I would just call it a day and install one of those.

http://www.design911.com/pages/productList.aspx?search=steering
** Look at the footer of this link, you can see you can get them in any finish. You would however need to contact Karl (karl@design911.com) for a Tiptronic (special order I'm guessing). Comes with F1 style shift Left(down) Right(up) flaps.

I personally got mine from another source but they are the same manufacturer. A very happy mod.... and bye bye the crooked arm thing!
Old 02-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #9

and if you cross Johny Danger anywhere, show him this pic.

Steering Wheel Cavallo Race - Alcantara - RAID - 710312 | Design 911
Old 02-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #10

I just can't fathom how you hit them....?????

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote