Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #21

On the rear plastic windows...Have your insurance company pay for it. No different than your
winshield getting a crack.

01 986 Boxster S. Arctic Silver. 6 speed manual. IMSR/RMS.
jdiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiba View Post
On the rear plastic windows...Have your insurance company pay for it. No different than your winshield getting a crack.
I only had liability(comprehensive) insurance. They don't pay for squat.
Full Coverage is too pricey for me. $295 premium for comprehensive vs $1100 average premium for full coverage. And I have a clean record too. My zip code is just too expensive.
ProjectM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiba View Post
On the rear plastic windows...Have your insurance company pay for it. No different than your
winshield getting a crack.
First time I've ever heard of this, has anyone had their rear window replaced like this?

"Its Craptacular" - Bart Simpson 1997
joshua6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #24

Even though oil changes at the dealer are pricey unless you get someone that knows what he is doing you can blow the engine out as it happened to a friend of a friend. The prices in NY from the dealers are ridiculous. Nothing against doing work at a reputable Porsche mechanic.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:40 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCanna
Water Pump - $516
mine was $1090!
Old 02-25-2012, 02:42 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2519j View Post
Even though oil changes at the dealer are pricey unless you get someone that knows what he is doing you can blow the engine out as it happened to a friend of a friend. The prices in NY from the dealers are ridiculous. Nothing against doing work at a reputable Porsche mechanic.
oil change is not that much different than on other cars - nothing special as long as they don't underfill it since it needs +/- 9 qts...
Old 02-26-2012, 07:09 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon View Post
mine was $1090!
Ouch!

I can only assume a discrepancy due to the fact that he is doing the other work on my car and there is some sort of labor overlap. I can't say that I am happy about spending close to $3500 after tax on all the work, but it does seem like its a good deal for what I am having done, and its the first real work I've had done since I bought her last summer.

Plus it will be nice to silence those creeping IMS worries that have been in the back of my mind since I got her.
AZCanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #28
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
For those of you that have replaced the plastic window, did you have to remove the top from the frame to have the window replaced?
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectM96 View Post
I paid $25 for Xenon head light bulbs.
You mean those aftermarket jobs on eBay, or genuine Xenon replacement bulbs for your Litronic headlamps?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
You mean those aftermarket jobs on eBay, or genuine Xenon replacement bulbs for your Litronic headlamps?
I got them from Porsche Parts, Spares And Porsche Accessories: Retail And Trade: National; Worldwide Delivery | Design 911 last year and they still work great even after 4 hours of driving at night. No burns in headlight plastic at all.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #31

Gotcha. Looks like what you bought were some upgraded halogen bulbs that are being marketed as "xenon".

Genuine xenon replacement bulbs for the Litronic housings are far more spendy than this. I'm betting they'd cost you something like 60 pounds. They're at least $79 here on this side of the pond.

Do be cautious using those bulbs. Brighter halogen bulbs crank out a lot more heat and just might start yellowing the insides of your lenses before they burn... and this is far more expensive to replace than just buying the 99 pound retrofit kit this same company sells to get genuine HID Xenon bulbs that are even brighter and run much cooler and won't yellow or melt the inside of your lenses.:

http://www.design911.com/HID-H7-Xenon-Light-Bulb-Kit-Porsche-986---996---Cayenne/prod793/

Plus, they'll last a LOT longer. All these aftermarket bluish tinted halogen "xenon" upgrade bulbs burn out in a fraction of the time of the factory-proper bulbs.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 02-27-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Gotcha. Looks like what you bought were some upgraded halogen bulbs that are being marketed as "xenon".

Genuine xenon replacement bulbs for the Litronic housings are far more spendy than this. I'm betting they'd cost you something like 60 pounds. They're at least $79 here on this side of the pond.

Do be cautious using those bulbs. Brighter halogen bulbs crank out a lot more heat and just might start yellowing the insides of your lenses before they burn... and this is far more expensive to replace than just buying the 99 pound retrofit kit this same company sells to get genuine HID Xenon bulbs that are even brighter and run much cooler and won't yellow or melt the inside of your lenses.:

HID H7 Xenon Light Bulb Kit Porsche Boxster 986 / 996 - HIDH7R6K, Porsche | Design 911

Plus, they'll last a LOT longer. All these aftermarket bluish tinted halogen "xenon" upgrade bulbs burn out in a fraction of the time of the factory-proper bulbs.
I am from the U.S. haha. I just bought them from design911 and had them shipped from U.K.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #33

That's crazy. You could have gotten those same bulbs off eBay for a lot cheaper with free shipping.