Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #21
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

if the rotors are made in Germany would they still be using Chinese steel?

tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
I guess you've never heard of Chinese steel.
Well, what matters it how they perform, period.

I've used cheap pattern rotors on track days without issue. Like I said, it's pads and fluid that have delivered by far the biggest benefit in my experience on track days.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #23
Certified Boxster Addict

I've used expensive rotors and less expensive (cheap Chinese) rotors. Less expensive Chinese steel is still the same grade of steel used elsewhere around the world and I've never noticed any performance difference (track or street).

The resulting price difference isn't in the material (steel) anyway, its in the machining - less expensive Chinese rotors have 10x less finish machining done on them. At the end of the day, all of that expensive German machining only makes the rotors look better, not perform better. Pads make all of the difference.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #24
Ex Esso kid

In the material world you get what you pay for. The V8 Merc Mountaineer ate rotors, as such I tried them all. The Chinese rotors don't offer the service life of the other choices. Now if I was going to smoke a set at a track, I'd use them because who cares but I found the Zimmermans to be high quality and super long lasting. It's like a good dress shoe, you can buy a cheap good looking one but if you spring for the Johnston & Murphy's they will only cost more on the front end and become a great value when you see how long you have them.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #25

Well, the key question is the price-to-longevity ratio. If they cost three times as much, they're going to need to last three times longer. I'm far from convinced that's the case.

I always buy proper parts when I think they're worth it - bought a Porsche water pump and proper Behr rads when I did my cooling system overhaul last year. But regards rotors, I'm with thstone: expensive rotors is money blown. That's been my experience on and off track.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #26

Problem with the Chinese is one size fits all. I did the rotors on my Nissan Altama with 100K on the original rotors. The Chinese one's fit no problem, but they were smaller in diameter. My pads actually where kissing the outer edge of the rotor. Ok, they where only about $20 a piece and worked just fine.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote