Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminC View Post
In addition to the e-brake, I also use a "parking mat". That keeps me from going too far forward, and keeps the car from rolling once it's parked.

Vitamin C, I like this solution. Where did you get these? I will stop by and get some. Thanks so much for all the comments and YES its great that nobody was hurt.

97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #22

Just bought some on Amazon.com. Thanks VitC
Old 02-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 Boxster View Post
Just bought some on Amazon.com. Thanks VitC
You're welcome
Old 02-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #24
Ex Esso kid

Someone else with the fine style sense of chromed twists, I salute you sir, they look awesome with the red.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Someone else with the fine style sense of chromed twists, I salute you sir, they look awesome with the red.
Thanks GR. I thought about changing them out but everytime I see a Porsche with the grey wheels I think it looks unfinished. Now thats just my opionion so dont everybody jump on me for that LOL. I will only drive a red car and YES, the twists with the chrome are a nice combo. Thanks
Old 02-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #26
Carnut

Oh man! Sh@t happens.....

Once a guy with a shuttle minivan wanted to pick me up, parked in front of the garage but left it in drive. Crawled in slomo into the garage door and totally busted it! He even tried to stop the minivan by running in front of it...... Well a new garage door was supplied and all were happy except the guy who probably lost his job.

I like this forum for "non-flaming"!

Good luck and let us know the progress.

Later, Andy
Old 02-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #27

Hello. I also have a '97 Guards 986. I scraped the rear passenger side wheel arch and bumper area late year (note it's a UK RHD car). I too was worried about paint match and ending up with a colour contrast and / or an obviously over-shiny area. I had the whole rear passenger wing / fender and rear bumper attended to. The results were way, way better than I expected. The colour match was pretty much perfect. The glossiness matched the rest of the car. The only flaw was on very close inspection in the form of some very tiny flecks of dirt in the paint.

The arch / wing / fender and bumper in question can be seen in the image below taken after the work was done but good enough to make it onto a magazine cover:

I'm afraid I haven't taken any proper images myself since the work was done and I don't have the pictures taken for the mag, but this iPhone snap hints at the colour match - ie it's very, very good.

This work was done by a pretty unassuming local paint shop. Nothing high falutin'. Before the work he said he intended to keep the blowing in / colour painting to a minimum, but he intend lacquer the entire wing / fender. Whether he did this or not, I don't know - the work looked good, I didn't ask whether he stuck to the plan.

Now, the big question is whether the paint was lacquered from the factory. I tried some polish compound on a few panels and found it went pink, suggesting the paint is not lacquered. I think the paint probably did lacquer their work.

Moral of the story - it can be done. Hope this helps a little.

Last edited by pothole; 02-09-2012 at 04:10 PM.
pothole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #28

Don't be too hard on yourself 97, we all know someone (in my case, several people) who have done the same thing. Just last year, my wife was on the phone with one of her ladyfriends who during their conversation said "Hmmmmmm... there's a car across the street down in the woods that looks just like mine".
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #29

Garage
Back in '99, my then roommate managed this:

That was at the bottom of our (steep) driveway. And yes, it did leave a mark
Old 02-10-2012, 06:08 AM   #30

Drivers Tailight

I have a drivers (left) tailight (amber) in excellent condition I can let you have for $50 shipped.

John
jrj3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #31

I could use that one. Let me see what the insurance company is willing to do. Thanks
Old 02-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #32

Just an update. Took my car to a few shops today for some estimates and decided to go with Modena Autowerks. I will keep everybody posted and update you on the process with Modena. Jaime Garza - Owner , was great to work with and really knew his stuff. Car should be back in a few weeks when I return from a business trip.

If anybody is interested in having work done Modena Autowerks is in Houston, Tx. I will give feedback good or bad once the work is completed. Stay tuned.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #33

Garage
I have a set of OEM tail lights you can have, just come by and pick up since you are in Houston. Cost will be two....maybe three beers
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:19 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster6354 View Post
I have a set of OEM tail lights you can have, just come by and pick up since you are in Houston. Cost will be two....maybe three beers
Man, I will take you up on that. And I will be happy to pay you for them. Thanks for the offer. Let me get with the repair shop and make sure they dont order some first. Thanks again.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #35

Garage
Quote:
Man, I will take you up on that. And I will be happy to pay you for them. Thanks for the offer. Let me get with the repair shop and make sure they dont order some first. Thanks again.
No cost to you as they are just sitting in the garage after I upgraded mine last year.

I will PM you with my contact details, if you still need them just ring me.

-T
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster6354 View Post
No cost to you as they are just sitting in the garage after I upgraded mine last year.

I will PM you with my contact details, if you still need them just ring me.

-T
Thanks. I will let you know early next week. I appreciate it and hopefully I can find a way to pay it forward. Again, thanks.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #37

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
I will get the bumper this weekend and take pictures then post them here for you.
And here they are...

This bumper is in real good shape, it was in a Porsche parts store that is going out of business so I got a good deal. New paint (dark blue), has not been on the road since painted. No road rash on it at all. Make me an offer I can't refuse (if you need it).

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #38
Carnut

You guys rock! How nice of a forum is this???? The best!
Old 02-12-2012, 03:51 AM   #39

Jäger. That bumper is perfect. I agree with andya6. This place is awesome. Thanks to everybody for your willingness to help a brother struggling with this very minor problem. It could have been much worse. Can't wait to get my "Betty" back.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #40

Garage
Quote:
Jäger. That bumper is perfect. I agree with andya6. This place is awesome. Thanks to everybody for your willingness to help a brother struggling with this very minor problem. It could have been much worse. Can't wait to get my "Betty" back.
Can you believe I paid only $50 for this bumper? I couldn't pass it up... You never know when someone will need one.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote