Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #1

new to 03 s boxster.ims replacement question

car has 36k,im worried about ims bearing,should i just replace with ceramic now,or wait till it needs clutch or continue to change oil every 5k and check for metal in filter.

rosenfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #2

Garage
You might try a search, as this has been covered many, many times.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #3

Garage
Regardless of mileage or how often you change your oil (though many believe that it helps), IMS failure can occur at anytime . Whether or not it will happen to your vehicle, can be a roll of the dice . You could be one of the unlucky - who's vehicle falls into the percentage of M96 engines that fail .
Old 02-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

There is no right or wrong in this matter and there's not enough data available to come to a logical decision. You'll have to do some research and then decide which path you feel most comfortabe with.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
recycledsixtie

Garage
I have a 2001 Boxster base and have installed the ims guardian. Within the next year or so I plan on replacing ims, rms and clutch as the there is a minor rms leak. This subject has been beaten to death but I understand your concern. I will do much thinking before I sink significant $$$$ into it. It is the nature of the beast but it is worth it.:dance::dance:
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:09 AM   #6

there is a chance the bearing could go,i budgeted when buying car to replace bearing,i cannot afford to replace an engine,so for me it is the best choice.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #7

here is an update to my ims bearing replacement. old bearing still ok,went ahead and put in new ln bearing,clutch was wearing out and replaced as they were in there,also cv boots one was cracked,it was fairly cheap to do it with trans out(400)includiong boots.so now a bit poorer but feeling secure,car has 36k and should be good for quite a while ,will post some pics,teal green-lblack interior
Old 02-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #8

glad to hear everything went well for you and there was no impending doom on your car
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #9

What helped me decide against the LN bearing last year (38k mile 04 3.2) was simple odds. Namely, the cost for Raby to do it, all in, was about $3500. That is 25% of the cost of a $14,000 engine replacement. I don't think I've ever seen anything approaching a 25% failure rate estimate. So yes, it's rolling the dice, but smart money says "Don't do it unless you at least need to be in there anyway for a clutch." And, the upside of doing the LN bearing is only peace of mind. The upside of replacing the engine is a 3.6!

Of course, if the $3500 is something a person can afford but the $14,000 would cause a real hardship, then the part of wisdom would be to buy the insurance for a $3500 premium.

(There are other shops who will do this job for less, and of course you could not do the clutch while in there and save some money as well, but I would have used Raby and I would have done the clutch, so that's why I used those figures.)
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenfe View Post
here is an update to my ims bearing replacement. old bearing still ok,went ahead and put in new ln bearing,clutch was wearing out and replaced as they were in there,also cv boots one was cracked,it was fairly cheap to do it with trans out(400)includiong boots.so now a bit poorer but feeling secure,car has 36k and should be good for quite a while ,will post some pics,teal green-lblack interior
Teal green? As in ocean jade mettalic or somethign other? There was a member here who had one of those and took lots of pictures.

random cool picture I saw of a lowered Boxster with GT3 aero

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote