Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #21

Sorry about that man, i know the feeling.

Some guy backed into me in a parking lot, and people whitnessed it, and stopped them and got me (was inside getting coffee). We exchanged information, and he was very nice, and calm about it all. He had insurance, and I didn't have any doubts about it all. I file the claim, and 3 weeks later I call and figure out what is going on, and why it's taking so long - come to find out he "denied" the claim, and said he didn't do it at all. His insurance dropped the case, and I was stuck with the $1600 bill....

and I still haven't paid it.

fedekz986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #22

Garage
Randall,

No matter what, you have a great car and you have to get it fixed !
Old 02-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #23
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
I thought the same thing... but a swift kick would not push in the bottom rail 1.5 inches. It was hit hard and with some serious weight behind it.

You would be surprised what a kick will yield, having kicked probably more than 25 junkers on the way to the dump, I can tell you that could be from a kick, as Jonny said either way you have to get the girl fixed up..
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedekz986 View Post
His insurance dropped the case, and I was stuck with the $1600 bill.... and I still haven't paid it.
Still haven't paid it to whom? His insurance company? The body shop that did the work?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #25

Hi Randall. Sorry to hear about your situation. It sure adds to the frustration that it was at a Porsche event. So make lemonade out of lemons. Do something nice or extra as a present. Do the entire paint job like you suggested.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #26

And therein lies the problem. I don't have an extra $3000 lying around for a total respray to go along with the repair work
Old 02-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #27

That appears to be about 4 inches too low for a bumperette dent. Maybe a kick or baseball or... anything else. It doesn't really matter what caused the dent, you're the unfortunate recipient of it. Sorry for your inconvenience. Since no one has come forward there's no need to speculate that someone from a Porsche event did it. If it was kicked, it could have easily have been someone put off by your (the groups) possessions.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
It really pisses me off that another Porsche owner did this and didn't man-up and tell me he did it and offer to make it right.
This assumption would require information not in evidence. I would prefer to "assume" some gum-ball from the neighborhood or area did this and not another owner/member of your Porsche group.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #29

Actually, Steve, it lined up perfectly with the small, incredibly low bumperettes on a number of older 911's in the general vicinity of my car. Too low for a boxster or cayman, but not one of these older cars.

I wasn't the person to figure this out either. It was a couple of other owners standing around and doing some measuring of their own and reporting it to me.

And I've pinpointed the time of damage to be when I was away from my car and others were leaving the area after dark (and after a number of owners had drained a keg).
Old 02-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #30

Do you think there is surveillance video anywhere nearby?

p.s.
I just had this same part repaired different damage, not as severe. I saw the parts pricing though. $500 for the panel. About another $1,000 in labor and paint could probably negotiated.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #31

No surveillance. I checked.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #32

I was quoted $995 for a new panel from Sunset with $150-200 for shipping.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #33

I think you could find the rear quarter for a lot less from a front end wreck. Heck on some of the wreck sites I saw the entire totaled Boxster selling for $2500.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #34

So sorry to hear Randall. I hope you locate the dumb a$$ who did it and are reimbursed for your repairs. A similar incident happened to us a few years back. Fortunately, I guess, it wasn't on the Boxster, but still very frustrating. Unfortunately we were never able to find the culprit. I wish you better luck.
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #35
Ex Esso kid

You could remove the vent, press out what you can and see what it looks like, might be able to extend till you have enough to fix the entire body the way you want.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:10 AM   #36

I had a hit and run too. Well more like a bump and run. Twice. The first time it was minor damage that second time they wrecked my bike rack.

Someone should invent a little camera that turns on if there is an jarring motion records all cars pulling away. A light would blink red when you come back telling you it caught the bastard on film. Then you could call your insurance so that they can play the "say were you around Starbucks at 11 am?" truth or fail game with the insured driver.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:36 AM   #37
Ex Esso kid

Or we could go back to rewarding and promoting honorable actions so society would be better, people might leave a note. My new kid renter neighbor rattles my windows with his sub woofer. This week his windshield is going to get my sincere plea to stop. The invitation will also carry a photo of my stove clock reading 4AM and a picture of my Bach Stradivarius Trumpet, let's see if public school taught the boy genius to "cipher" as Jethro said.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:51 AM   #38

Bummer for sure...the culprit may have not known he hit you. I backed up one day into UPS truck...I just didn't turn tight enough on my backup, looked thru my mirror and saw I was to close, hit my brakes hard and never felt the impact do to a sudden of stopping. UPS truck bumper, not even a scratch...my Nissan bumper cover showed a nice little scrape. I would always assume a Porsche owner would bone up to a stupid mistake...I would even shiver thinking that jerks like this would be a Porsche owner.

Yes, I told the UPS driver I tapped his front bumper. We agreed no damage, but he had to report it.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:56 AM   #39

Randall, was this a PCA Event/Gathering for your local chapter? Maybe give the PCA President a call, or e-mail, and tell him what you have told us. Maybe he can recommend a course of action, or write a note in your next newsletter, and ask for someone to step forward with information about the H&R.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986 View Post
Bummer for sure...the culprit may have not known he hit you.
Not with that kind of damage to RN's car. The typical Porsche driver is probably
hyper sensitive in parking lot situations. Around these parts I always see a Porsche parked far away from other cars, or parked so that car can only park on one side of the car, etc. Awareness goes up a few notches.

This other driver was either really absent-minded or a weasel. Either way not someone I would want driving around me.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-07-2012 at 08:33 AM.