Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: New or Used?
New, no problems this way and years to enjoy 6 13.33%
New, it was painful but worth it anyways 1 2.22%
Used, do I look like Warren Buffet 21 46.67%
Used, while a good car cannot justify the dollars 17 37.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #21

Agreed. $65k sticker, I paid $25k, 22k miles, CPO. Like-new Porsche for Toyota money? No brainier. Looking forward to finding a nice low mileage Cayman S someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
In the past I've always purchased my vehicles new. However, while contemplating the purchase of a new boxster back in 2004, I can across a pristine '02 with only 6k miles . The original window sticker was $62K, I bought it for $35k . It was a no brainer !

Old 02-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #22

By the way, the poll is missing an option: Used - I got an amazing car and SAVED more money than most people spend on their NEW cars.

I delight in informing the occasional supercilious "must be nice to have a Porsche" tool that I probably paid less for my car than he paid for his new shtbox.

Last edited by sd_boxster; 02-03-2012 at 11:22 PM.
sd_boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:56 PM   #23

I bought used. Most importantly, because I can't afford a new one right now. Secondly, even if I could afford it, I may have only bought a newer used one. I use mine as a daily driver and don't want to have to worry about dings/nicks from leaving it parked outside and/or in public parking lots.

I think later in life, when I settle down, and have a nice enough garage to park it in at night, I may buy a brand new one. But I'll still use it as a daily driver, so maybe not.
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:33 AM   #24

In 2008 I bought a used 2003 seal grey Boxster S for $26K, about 1/2 of what it sold for new. It had 14k miles on it and it was flawless. It was like a brand new car. Why pay over $50k when you can get a great car at 1/2 price. I have bought several new cars and trucks but I prefer to buy used and let someone else take that big depreciation hit in the first few years. It's bad enough that they keep losing value even when you buy them slightly used.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:56 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Good timing. They were practically giving away used Porsches that year.Once in a life time credit crisis was a good time to have cash.
Very far from the truth for the 993 and 993 Turbo market. I started my search in 2007 and finally found my car in 2009. There are less than 500 examples of my car in the USA and during this search period, I was loosing out to a lot of European and Asian buyers.

But you are correct about having cash. It was king, and allowed you to pounce when a great car did hit the market.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #26

Garage
I can afford new but, Haven't purchase a new car for more than 20 years. Something about the 10-25% the value drop as soon as ink is on the title drive me nuts.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #27

Top Gear had a segment on buying used vs new. First, they tried out a brand new 7000 Pound ($15,000 US ?) econobox Toyota, that didn't even have carpets and drove like a dog! Then, they went out and tested used luxury cars that were selling for the same price. One was a Boxster, which they loved, subaru WRX, a Jaguar, even a Bentley turbo.

They eventually bought a BMW 850 series and a top end Mercedes (can't remember the model but it cost 90k+ Pounds new.) Bothelooked flawless in and out and drive like champs. They are going to do a long term test of the cars.

So yes, its a no brainer, buy used.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
I bet that she gets the wooden hangers, and you get the wire ones !
Dude, we've drive a Porsche, even the dog has wooden hangers!
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #29
Matt

New everything - but Porsches. There's too much depreciation on luxury cars to buy new.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:26 AM   #30

Every time I read another post about "driving it the way the Dr. intended" or bragging about how fast they ran on the track, I thank goodness I bought my car new. And half the used cars don't even have proper service records. No way would I buy a used one.
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:40 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G View Post
When it comes to Porsche, how many of you are buying new cars of the show room floor verses buying used?

Was it by choice or did cost keep you away from new?

I have owned several over the years and honestly, while having a good job, I could not justify spending 70K or more on a sports car only to see its value drop.

I find the small cost in restoring a car to "like new" gives me both satisfaction in working with my hands and learning the ins and outs of it at a fraction of the cost.

Your thoughts?
1) My 08 Cayman wasn't a $70K car to begin with, it was $55K to start. I think $55K was too high an asking price for this car, let alone $70K;

2) I bought it new from the snow-covered dealer's lot at the bottom of the car market while the dealer was grossly overstocked and desperate to sell cars. The desperation discount was well into 5 figures and thus the price I paid "new" was less than what I see similar 08 Caymans selling for as used cars today;

3) If you buy the car you want and keep it for 10 years, you don't worry about the drop in value because you bought it new; meanwhile, YOU know your car has had all the proper maintenance and has never been abused;

4) Meanwhile, if something does go wrong, you have the manufacturer to back you up at least for a while. I still have another year that I don't have to worry about my IMS breaking and costing me half or 3/4 the value of the car, and after that I may invest in an extended warranty;

5) Last but not least, due to technology creep, my base Cayman has equivalent power to a Cayman S of just a few years earlier. To try to increase the power of an older Cayman S up to my level, that Cayman S owner would need to invest several thousand in mods that might or might not be successful and might blow up the engine in the process.
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:12 AM   #32
WV Boxster

Garage
I would buy new now that I have the taste. Sincethis was my first Porsche I went low price fun car. I should be able to sell mine for what I have in it this spring. Depending on several factors over next couple of years I will be looking in the snow around Jan. early Feb. for a new Boxster then put mine up for sale in spring.

I would only pay cash since the interest would jack the cost of the car up even more.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
Very far from the truth for the 993 and 993 Turbo market. I started my search in 2007 and finally found my car in 2009. There are less than 500 examples of my car in the USA and during this search period, I was loosing out to a lot of European and Asian buyers.

But you are correct about having cash. It was king, and allowed you to pounce when a great car did hit the market.
The rarer 993's held up well but according to Excellence the more run of the mill 993's were still near - 12% to -15% hit from the top of the credit bubble in 2007 to the bust in 2009. Albeit not as bad as the 996's some of which fell from the $50-60K range by nearly $20-$25k in just those two years. I was surprised to see, contrary to popular belief, that well maintaned 2.7 and 3.2 986's were only in the -18% to - 20% range for that time.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #34

What Used Luxury Car Is The Best Value?
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #35

Someone taught me not to put serious money into depreciating assets. Which may be why I have assets.

I could have afforded to buy new both times I bought Boxsters and I had in fact bought a 914 new in '70 for $3600 but I learned the lesson selling it 2 years later for around $2200. I elected not to buy the Boxsters new and had 95% of the fun for well less than half the price...or maybe it was more fun because I wasn't afraid to work on it and didn't feel I had to visit the dealership for every little thing.

And even in a 10 year old car I was still getting complements.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #36

I've been watching this thread and haven't been sure how to respond to it as I've done both (I didn't vote because none of the choices fit me). Many have made good points about buying used vs new. If you would've asked me 4 1/2 yrs ago if I'd buy a $60K car, I'd have said you were crazy. But I saw Punkin and her 005 serial number and had to have her. It took me almost 2 mo to assure myself I should go for it, but I did. Will I buy another new Porsche? Maybe. I saw an orange Cayman R that got me thinking...

I bought my Cayman used off of ebay. Got it for a good price. Like JohnS said, it's hard to know how it was treated by the prev owner. I'm somewhat less concerned because she had 2 yrs left on her CPO when I bought her. But there are question marks.

The best way I can sum it up: Punkin is my baby, Carmen is my girlfriend.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:15 AM   #37

All high end autos take a huge price drop after being purchased. That's what you pay to own a new auto.:ah:

Me, I like a good pre-owned. Broke in and no luxury tax to be paid.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #38

I would never buy new it just seems to be a waste of money and for what? I love working on cars as a hobby which has given me the opportunity to own cars that would normally be way out of my price range. I am 36 now and have owned 28 cars all German, Italian, and a little sprinkle of Land Rovers. Of those 28, 7 were P-cars. I have been lucky and always made money on every car I ever got rid of. Tearing into a car and rebuilding them is my stress relief so I do not factor in that as time just therapy.

amschnellsten is offline   Reply With Quote