986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   How many folks buy new? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/33658-how-many-folks-buy-new.html)

Eric G 02-03-2012 11:12 AM

How many folks buy new?

When it comes to Porsche, how many of you are buying new cars of the show room floor verses buying used?

Was it by choice or did cost keep you away from new?

I have owned several over the years and honestly, while having a good job, I could not justify spending 70K or more on a sports car only to see its value drop.

I find the small cost in restoring a car to "like new" gives me both satisfaction in working with my hands and learning the ins and outs of it at a fraction of the cost.

Your thoughts?

recycledsixtie 02-03-2012 11:24 AM

I agree absolutely. I bought my first Porsche, a 2001 Boxster last spring. I would not consider new. Being a used car I can afford to fix things slowly. New does not really have advantages except a Porsche warranty. If it is secondhand, minor parking rash does not me bother as much. :cool:

2003S 02-03-2012 11:40 AM

Choice keeps me away -- I suppose I could afford to buy new, I just can personally justify it to myself when "gently used" is good enough for me.

I have never bought a new car. Just doesn't make financial sense to me; I always buy at least 3 years old, let it take a good depreciation ding, and pay cash. Although my Boxster is the oldest car I have ever bought!

Also never had a lemon this way -- PPI is your friend, I've had a few that would have gone bad (including a Boxster I didn't pull the trigger on).

Ghostrider 310 02-03-2012 11:45 AM

PPI? Certification? As my three decades in the business friend says "don't mean nuttin". Reason? Any certification is only as honest and correct as the performing dealer. In other words it's like thinking all the myriad of clean car faux nonsense have all never had a single touch up...riiiiiight. At the moment the used market is short of stock and over priced, toss the tax on and its way over 70 for a used almost new car but for a few exceptions.

Perfectlap 02-03-2012 12:07 PM

Unless you own your own business I can not see a single compelling argument that would justify skipping a CPO luxury car. It has to be one of the more irrational things a person can do with their money next to signing on the dotted line for a credit card. You simply will not enter into a worse agreement where the other party is the winner by a long way.

I thought this view would be less compelling the more money I made but the opposite has been true. Even if I were a multi-millionaire, buying an extotic like a $250K Ferrari requires that my net worth exceed five million. The top 0.01%. Think about how many who aren't worth anywhere near that are driving around in cars costing not much less than the Ferrari.

p.s.
Sorry to call a Porsche a luxury car but when a 991 Carrera S sells for more than house in some parts I'm not sure that's entirely a sports car anymore.

san rensho 02-03-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2003S (Post 276919)
Choice keeps me away -- I suppose I could afford to buy new, I just can personally justify it to myself when "gently used" is good enough for me.

I have never bought a new car. Just doesn't make financial sense to me; I always buy at least 3 years old, let it take a good depreciation ding, and pay cash. Although my Boxster is the oldest car I have ever bought!
Also never had a lemon this way -- PPI is your friend, I've had a few that would have gone bad (including a Boxster I didn't pull the trigger on).

Me neither. Best deal I made on a car was an Opel Manta I bought for $350 when I was in college. Put well over 75000 miles on it. Car would go over 100 mph easily and was fairly fun to drive.

I like cool cars, but I hate paying money for them. They are always wasting assets. Let someone else take the depreciation, I'll take the fun.

Johnny Danger 02-03-2012 12:50 PM

In the past I've always purchased my vehicles new. However, while contemplating the purchase of a new boxster back in 2004, I came across a pristine '02 with only 6k miles . The original window sticker was $62K, I bought it for $35k . It was a no brainer !

fivepointnine 02-03-2012 01:28 PM

I have bought several new cars and have kicked myself for every time, they lose half their value within a year or 2

Highlow 02-03-2012 01:37 PM

With this being a 986 forum, the data is going to be skewed.

Flavor 987S 02-03-2012 01:39 PM

I've done both.

I purchased my 2006 987S new. Custom order. Waited 7 long months for it to arrive.

Purchased my 1997 993TT used in 2009.

Both Porsches cost right about the same money.......only 13 years apart. Now the Boxster is worth less than half of the purchase price, and the Turbo has gone up in value since I purchased it, and received +20,000 smiles/miles in return.

I good with this.

jmatta 02-03-2012 01:55 PM

Bought my '02 S in 2006 for half the sticker and only 7900 gentle miles. Now showing 21,000, it's been very kind to me...only money I've put in are voluntary mods and maintenance.

Perfectlap 02-03-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavor 987S (Post 276932)
Purchased my 1997 993TT used in 2009.

Good timing. They were practically giving away used Porsches that year.
Once in a life time credit crisis was a good time to have cash.

DFW02S 02-03-2012 03:02 PM

I buy new cars ... for my wife because that's what she likes, new.

Used for me though, last new car that I bought for myself was 1984.

linklaw 02-03-2012 03:49 PM

New cars for my wife too. I only ever drive used, including Porsche. I have even bought two jeep wranglers and a pick up truck with reconstructed titles. I wouldn't buy a Porsche or other higher end car with a reconstructed title but with the wranglers, I drove each of them for more than a year and sold them for more than I paid. And yes, the buyers knew about the reconstructed titles.

Paul 02-03-2012 03:55 PM

I've bought 2 new Porsches and dozens of used ones. I refuse to buy another new Porsche until a 100,000 mile 10 year drivetrain warranty is available.

ekam 02-03-2012 03:55 PM

I always remember this quote when talking about new car smell...

"The glue and resin smell in new cars is formaldehyde, the same thing they use to preserve dead bodies. It’s in new houses and new furniture. It’s called off-gassing. You can inhale formaldehyde from new clothes. After you inhale enough, expect stomach cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea."

Johnny Danger 02-03-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFW02S (Post 276940)
I buy new cars ... for my wife because that's what she likes, new.

Used for me though, last new car that I bought for myself was 1984.

I bet that she gets the wooden hangers, and you get the wire ones ! :)

thstone 02-03-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fivepointnine (Post 276929)
I have bought several new cars and have kicked myself for every time, they lose half their value within a year or 2

+1 Same for me.

986_c6 02-03-2012 09:38 PM

:D:D:D

Wifey gets new, but always leases to pay as we drive (did I hear writeoff? :rolleyes:).

I have purchased a few cars new (including Box), but I do it with custom ordering. I think it should be on everyone's bucket list...like I said in the past, if customizing your cars give you the giddy feeling; imagine ordering every little detail the way your heart desires before the thing is born--->Priceless!

Oh...it is also a misconception that ordering a car will not allow any discounts. Sometimes, some dealers will offer even more discounts if they know they already have too much inventory, and you come along to take delivery of a vehicle before they "ready" it for the lot.

986_c6 02-03-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 276945)
I bet that she gets the wooden hangers, and you get the wire ones ! :)

Oops...I put a smiley on Johnny's other quote by mistake. It should be for the "hangers" comment.:D:D:D