Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: Should I replace my black top with space grey?
Stick with the black top 16 61.54%
Pull the trigger on the space grey top 9 34.62%
You must be color blind 1 3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #1

Garage
Replace 2001 Black Convertible Top with Space Grey?

I am thinking about replacing the stock black convertible top on my 2001 S with an aftermarket with a glass window. At the same time, I'm toying with maybe Space Grey instead of black. My 2001 S is Arctic Silver, 18" BBS Porsche wheels with chrome embossed crest center caps, Black leather with crested headrests, exclusive e-brake and shift knob and surround, de-ambered, DEPO smoked tail lights LEDs, all emblems and logos chromed (hood, steering wheel, Boxster S on rear lid), body matched bumperettes, speedster humps (not relevant to the question). I don't drive the car in the rain and mostly often the top is down with the speedster humps on about 50% of the time. Would appreciate this forum's opinions on the change to a space grey top.

Last edited by AndrewG; 01-29-2012 at 07:21 PM.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:06 AM   #2

I have seen a newer model Boxster, maybe 05 model, with the Grey top top on silver, glass window and it looked pretty good. Except it shows dirt and wear much more than a black top. I just replaced mine on my 2000S Seal Grey with a GAAH glass window, black of course.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:18 AM   #3
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
AndrewG,

I didn't vote because I'm not sure what the combination would look like. I've seen many Seal Grey cars with Grey tops, and I like the look. I don't believe I've seen an AS car with a Grey top. Do you have any pics of this combination?

In general, I like Grey tops. I replaced the OE black top on my Biarritz White 986 with a Graffiti Grey top (I think Space Grey is darker). I've read that Grey will show folding creases (and dirt) more easily, but I didn't have issues with either one.

AS with a black top is a classic combination. Your proposed combination will definitely be more unique, which I like. I would tend to go the more unique route but would need to see some pics or a rendering before pulling the trigger.

Best of luck and post some pics when you can.

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:18 AM   #4
WV Boxster

Garage
black is top color. I personally like the look of black on all cars, not a fan of any other color for the top. Hardtops need to match and soft tops wont match so stick with black.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:21 AM   #5
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
I have the Grey on mine and will be replacing it with black. Grey is a great color but the comments above are correct, you will see the folds as they stand out and it will show dirt...but... It is a sexy color and makes the car have a great appearance.

I am choosing black as it is a classic color I have not had a convertible with black for a long time.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
Matt

I also didn't vote because, to me, there's more to it than just the top color. It's your car and regardless of what anyone else thinks, It needs to look good to you. If it were me, with a black interior, I would go towards the dark blue top on the silver body/black interior over any grey top. Keeping a grey top looking perfect would be much tougher.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #7

Garage
Thanks everyone for the insightful thoughts. I'm going to stick with the black for the classic look. Now I have to just figure out which aftermarket to go with (which I know is a topic that has been covered so I'll do a little homework on the forum). AG
Old 01-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #8

I wouldn't replace the top at all unless it was shot. Those installs don't always leave the the new top closing as well as it was before. The frame gets loose over time and then you put this very tight fabric over it and it never quiet closes the same again. Well at least that was my experience with previous car.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #9

Mine came with gray over seal gray paint. It does look a little more unique but as mentioned, lighter colors show dirt and wear more. When it was time to change, I chose black and haven't regretted it.
Wret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #10

Garage
The top certainly doesn't need to be replaced so thanks for the points to chew on.

There is one thing that has bothered me which makes me think about replacing off and on. There is a small bulge on the passenger side that looks like a small square plate is pushing upwards. I've attached a picture. I'm not sure what it is, and must admit, I've been a bit lazy to take it apart to investigate.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #11
Pat

Can I vote dark blue?
Old 01-31-2012, 12:28 AM   #12

I've got a grey top on a black car. And I would swap that for black top immediately if (a) it's worn out/torn (b) I can find a 2003/4 top. Actually (a) might be happening soon, as part of the top has been pulled out of the last frame.

Dirt shows clearly on the grey top and the creases on the side show up very clearly... The top looked brand new 1+ yr ago (PO probably used the hardtop all the time) and now it REALLY looks a 10 yr top now. Ha Ha, I guess it's also because I stopped my monthly cleaning and waterproofing of the top some time ago... I just spray, shampoo, wipe over it now, instead of using the top cleaner.
shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:38 AM   #13

(1) Don't change your top unless you have to, and (2) keep it black, for the color black goes with anything and it will not show creases and dirt like the other colors.
Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:45 AM   #14

it looks like something in the frame was loose and just slid into a new position.
I doubt I would have noticed it if you didn't point it out. that top looks 99% good.
If the plastic is really ageing I might replace it other than that just keep hitting it with the Raggtopp kit which keeps it nice and dark.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:23 AM   #15

When you decide to replace it...use a GAAh top. The fit is near perfect.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #16

Garage
Perfectlap et al. Any thoughts on trying to fix the frame piece that seems out of place?
Old 02-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #17

I like my triple grey combo...definitely unique. I think I only started noticing the dirt and creases when I started tracking the car and abusing the s**t out of it (like 4-5 track days and 4-5 months without washing the car).

Trust me, I am back to pouring love into my car as many of you know of my "bring Box back to show quality" project
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:06 AM   #18

Mine has a grey top, looks unique and interesting. Bugger all these boring farts choosing the same colour. If I replaced the top I'd go for red to match the interior! :dance:
Squozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #19

I like the Gray

My car had the black top originally and when it came time to replace I changed to a GAHH glass top in space grey. Since this is a hobby car for me I thought I would mix it up. I think it looks distinctive with the arena red color. I've had it a few years and it still looks good although the car hasn't been exposed much as it's usually garaged.

2012 Tunda - Dad Hauler
Fat Tire - Favorite Beer
2TrunkSteve is offline   Reply With Quote