986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Replace 2001 Black Convertible Top with Space Grey? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/33575-replace-2001-black-convertible-top-space-grey.html)

AndrewG 01-29-2012 07:17 PM

Replace 2001 Black Convertible Top with Space Grey?

I am thinking about replacing the stock black convertible top on my 2001 S with an aftermarket with a glass window. At the same time, I'm toying with maybe Space Grey instead of black. My 2001 S is Arctic Silver, 18" BBS Porsche wheels with chrome embossed crest center caps, Black leather with crested headrests, exclusive e-brake and shift knob and surround, de-ambered, DEPO smoked tail lights LEDs, all emblems and logos chromed (hood, steering wheel, Boxster S on rear lid), body matched bumperettes, speedster humps (not relevant to the question). I don't drive the car in the rain and mostly often the top is down with the speedster humps on about 50% of the time. Would appreciate this forum's opinions on the change to a space grey top.

jcb986 01-30-2012 05:06 AM

I have seen a newer model Boxster, maybe 05 model, with the Grey top top on silver, glass window and it looked pretty good. Except it shows dirt and wear much more than a black top. I just replaced mine on my 2000S Seal Grey with a GAAH glass window, black of course.

ddb 01-30-2012 05:18 AM

AndrewG,

I didn't vote because I'm not sure what the combination would look like. I've seen many Seal Grey cars with Grey tops, and I like the look. I don't believe I've seen an AS car with a Grey top. Do you have any pics of this combination?

In general, I like Grey tops. I replaced the OE black top on my Biarritz White 986 with a Graffiti Grey top (I think Space Grey is darker). I've read that Grey will show folding creases (and dirt) more easily, but I didn't have issues with either one.

AS with a black top is a classic combination. Your proposed combination will definitely be more unique, which I like. I would tend to go the more unique route but would need to see some pics or a rendering before pulling the trigger.

Best of luck and post some pics when you can.

ddb

wvboxst3r 01-30-2012 05:18 AM

black is top color. I personally like the look of black on all cars, not a fan of any other color for the top. Hardtops need to match and soft tops wont match so stick with black.

Eric G 01-30-2012 05:21 AM

I have the Grey on mine and will be replacing it with black. Grey is a great color but the comments above are correct, you will see the folds as they stand out and it will show dirt...but... It is a sexy color and makes the car have a great appearance.

I am choosing black as it is a classic color I have not had a convertible with black for a long time.

MileHighBoxster 01-30-2012 07:31 AM

I also didn't vote because, to me, there's more to it than just the top color. It's your car and regardless of what anyone else thinks, It needs to look good to you. If it were me, with a black interior, I would go towards the dark blue top on the silver body/black interior over any grey top. Keeping a grey top looking perfect would be much tougher.

AndrewG 01-30-2012 08:25 AM

Thanks everyone for the insightful thoughts. I'm going to stick with the black for the classic look. Now I have to just figure out which aftermarket to go with (which I know is a topic that has been covered so I'll do a little homework on the forum). AG

Perfectlap 01-30-2012 11:08 AM

I wouldn't replace the top at all unless it was shot. Those installs don't always leave the the new top closing as well as it was before. The frame gets loose over time and then you put this very tight fabric over it and it never quiet closes the same again. Well at least that was my experience with previous car.

Wret 01-30-2012 02:49 PM

Mine came with gray over seal gray paint. It does look a little more unique but as mentioned, lighter colors show dirt and wear more. When it was time to change, I chose black and haven't regretted it.

AndrewG 01-30-2012 04:47 PM

The top certainly doesn't need to be replaced so thanks for the points to chew on.

There is one thing that has bothered me which makes me think about replacing off and on. There is a small bulge on the passenger side that looks like a small square plate is pushing upwards. I've attached a picture. I'm not sure what it is, and must admit, I've been a bit lazy to take it apart to investigate. http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1327974419.jpg

Pat 01-30-2012 07:06 PM

Can I vote dark blue?

shlim8 01-31-2012 12:28 AM

I've got a grey top on a black car. And I would swap that for black top immediately if (a) it's worn out/torn (b) I can find a 2003/4 top. Actually (a) might be happening soon, as part of the top has been pulled out of the last frame.

Dirt shows clearly on the grey top and the creases on the side show up very clearly... The top looked brand new 1+ yr ago (PO probably used the hardtop all the time) and now it REALLY looks a 10 yr top now. Ha Ha, I guess it's also because I stopped my monthly cleaning and waterproofing of the top some time ago... I just spray, shampoo, wipe over it now, instead of using the top cleaner.

Soetekouw 01-31-2012 04:38 AM

(1) Don't change your top unless you have to, and (2) keep it black, for the color black goes with anything and it will not show creases and dirt like the other colors.

Perfectlap 01-31-2012 05:45 AM

it looks like something in the frame was loose and just slid into a new position.
I doubt I would have noticed it if you didn't point it out. that top looks 99% good.
If the plastic is really ageing I might replace it other than that just keep hitting it with the Raggtopp kit which keeps it nice and dark.

jcb986 01-31-2012 11:23 AM

When you decide to replace it...use a GAAh top. The fit is near perfect.

AndrewG 01-31-2012 06:01 PM

Perfectlap et al. Any thoughts on trying to fix the frame piece that seems out of place?

986_c6 02-03-2012 09:50 PM

I like my triple grey combo...definitely unique. I think I only started noticing the dirt and creases when I started tracking the car and abusing the s**t out of it (like 4-5 track days and 4-5 months without washing the car).

Trust me, I am back to pouring love into my car as many of you know of my "bring Box back to show quality" project

Squozen 02-04-2012 01:06 AM

Mine has a grey top, looks unique and interesting. Bugger all these boring farts choosing the same colour. If I replaced the top I'd go for red to match the interior! :dance:

2TrunkSteve 02-04-2012 08:42 PM

I like the Gray

My car had the black top originally and when it came time to replace I changed to a GAHH glass top in space grey. Since this is a hobby car for me I thought I would mix it up. I think it looks distinctive with the arena red color. I've had it a few years and it still looks good although the car hasn't been exposed much as it's usually garaged.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1328420464.jpg