Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #1

Convertible Top Problem

Went to put down the top today.I forgot to pull the opening lever before I presses the down button. Top will not go down---1997 boxter---I checked fuses d3 and b6 and both
check ok. ignition is on and handbreak is set. New owner , so your help will be appreciated. Indicator light on the instrument panel lights in the check mode.

PAULD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #2

One additional item.When I hit the down button the windows will partially go down
as they are supposed to do.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:01 PM   #3

There's a micro switch in the top lock, so it senses whether the top is present or not. If you hit the button without unlatching, nothing would happen; so I doubt it's a fuse issue.

With the ignition on, I would try releasing, then re-locking the top latch and see if the system resets?
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #4

I tried the locking lever a couple of times --no luck-- I do not hear the relay click when I
press the button--I suspect a bad switch or the relay which is actually a control module.
not too expensive $ 81.00 and $24 for the switch.

Not sure how the switch is removed--

Thanks Paul
Old 09-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #5

convert top

i am having the same issue with my top. I press the button and the windows go down. However, no top retraction (no motor sound) How do one rule out the motor. Fuses are fine.
piper777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:24 AM   #6

There are three microswitches in the top system. One is behind the hook near the rearview mirror. Another is in the emergency brake. A third is near the motor ahead of the third brake light.

To swap out the one by the rearview mirror, pop off the alien eye smoked plastic covers and you'll see some large T-hex screws to remove and then just follow your nose.

The one in the e-brake is not hard, but time consuming. You must remove the center console and there's something like 13 screws that hold it down, including some hidden ones under the oddments tray floor and under the ash tray and a couple behind the bat wing at the base of the console.

The center hook switch (rearview mirror one) must not be activated and the handbrake one must be activated for the top motor to work.

The third microswitch at the back turns the light on the dash out so you know when to stop pushing the button.

If your hook is undone, you can poke your finger up there and click it a few times and push it in deeper than the hook and that might show you a short in that one.

Also try pulling up a little harder on your ebrake handle to actuate that one.

If the fuses are fine and the motor is not functioning, you should troubleshoot these microswitches. Both go out on our cars.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 09-13-2009 at 04:27 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:55 AM   #7

Question 98 Boxster Convertable Top

I'm having a similar problem with my 98 Boxster. It has been at the dealer now for several days. They told me that they think my car is possessed because it starts working for about a dozen times and then when they think they have it fixed it stops.

They have checked all micro switches and relays and can't seem to find out what the problem is. I want to sell the car and I know it won't sell without the top working. The car only has 52,000 miles. I have seen on other Forums that there is a common problem and that some people have had success with Porsche paying for the dealers time. Meanwhile, my dealer has several hours into this and has no solution for me.

Does anyone have a recommendation on how to fix this? http://www.987forum.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=190574#
jld717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #8

Exclamation Convertable top malfunction!

Drivers side top cover seems to be inoperable . Right side seems to raise fine. Any knowlege would be heplful. Thanks
noah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Drivers side top cover seems to be inoperable . Right side seems to raise fine. Any knowlege would be heplful. Thanks
You may have a malfunctioning motor on the drivers side. See Wayne's write up, you should be able to see if the motor is turning if you have someone else raise the top while you watch from behind:

Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Convertible Top Repair - 986 / 987

If its not the motor, the clam shell may have jumped the track, but I think it would still go up and down.
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #10

2000 986

:ah: Thank You !!!
noah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Noah:

There is only one electric motor that operates the convertible top canvas and the clamshell, by means of a spinning cable on each side, which transmit the spinning motion through each of the two transmissions.

You didn't state which year your Boxster is, but if it has smooth sided black vinyl cables leading from the electric motor (which is just forward of the third brake light, in the convertible top well), it is very likely that the cable on the side that has the clamshell not moving is faulty. Either the inner cable has retracted inside the sheath (and is therefore not being spun by the electric motor) or the inner cable has frayed or come apart inside the sheath.

Pull the vinyl cable out of the side of the electric motor by first removing the upside-down u-clip and then pulling the cable outboard and examine to make sure that the inner cable is sticking out by about 3/4 of an inch. If it's not sticking out by that much, you will have to replace that cable or just trim about 1/2 inch of the outer sheath so that it no longer keeps the inner cable apart from the electric motor when the cable is reinstalled into the side of the motor.

To test whether the cable has frayed or broken apart inside the sheath, stick the inner metal cable into a cordless drill chuck (lowest torque setting) and spin the cable with the drill. You should see the V-lever on that side rotating. If it doesn't rotate, you must replace the cable.

A broken transmission is less likely. Also less likely is that the black "hydraulic" pushrod on that side has somehow become separated from the steel ball on one end of the V-lever. Both are possible, but less likely than the above scenario.

Regards, Maurice.

Last edited by schoir; 02-26-2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: correct spelling
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote