Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #1

Garage
Advice on Replacing Front Bumper Cover

Well, I'm an idiot.

I have my '02 Boxster S under cover and decide to clean out the radiators of debris. Smart idea, bad execution. After watching a video on procedure, try to remove front bumper cover and tear the fiberglass during removal because I missed a clip on each side and forced it. Tried to repair it with special reinforced kevlar glue from inside, but the damage is too severe for repair. Toast, time for plan b, need to get replacement part.

The car is in prestine condition otherwise (in spite of self). After on-line research, found new OEM bumper cover for '03-04S that could be sent for $450 including shipping. Others new would be $1000 plus. But, that means different vent hardware needs to be acquired.

So, Q's are:
1. Should I buy the OEM from the '03-'04 and try to find the inserts from a junkyard? I'm in PA if anyone has suggestion on where.
2. My car is black. Can any indy bodyshop paint the bumper cover or does this need to be done at Porsche dealer?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:38 AM   #2

I would not be too hard on yourself, most everyone who has done their own work has a story or two of self induced mishap. Luckily it happened in January and you'll have it back in order before spring in PA. You would be shocked at the magic some body shops can perform on plastic with weld and filler, it's a common repair now. I'd approach the local shop of your choice and see what they say, with the cover already removed you'd save money there also.

[IMG][/IMG]

If it were me and I wasn't going to repair the original, I'd scour CL, ebay and the 986 Websites (here, Pelican, Rennlist, 6speed, etc.) for the front cover. If you go with the newer generation you might have some explaining to do when / if you sell to prospective buyers. I do not see the need to take the car to the dealer for paint work, most competent independent body shops can pull off same or better results for far less money (cash talks). Good Luck.

Last edited by coreseller; 01-28-2012 at 05:40 AM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #3

Garage
Thanks Coreseller, appreciate both the advice and the video which was pretty interesting. I might have screwed up the option of the bodyshop repairing by trying to do it myself without the proper material and tools. Live & learn. Thanks again.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
Ex Esso kid

Barkin, Given that a professional paint and prep will be something you only want to pay for once. IMO, you should look for a new cover or a dismantle company used cover. My Boxster had spider cracks in the cover from the PO, my body guys told me they frequently re-crack. There is a real possibility that the repair you make could crack and ruin a nice paint job. You were trying to clean the radiators, clearly the car is your baby, I understand that. You won't be happy without a perfect repair so go the full boat, it will be easier to forgive yourself when it looks like it never occured.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #5

Barkin... go see Mark Miller's (sr & jr) shop - Greater Pittsburgh Collision Works - * Greater Pittsburgh Collision Works * Corey in the front handles all their estimates but they do great work. Not always cheapest but fair based on quality of job. I suspect, barring anything too catastrophic, they can repair and respray your damage so you'll never even notice w/o having to replace. They're on Flaugherty Run ~ 5min from Sewickley Bridge and do most of Sewickley's work. If you fly a lot, they have free pick up and delivery at Globe too.

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #6

Garage
OK, thanks Ghost & Burg, I'll see what they say & line up options.