Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
Ex Esso kid

If you found a car you liked

And the physician who ordered it chose PCCB would you run from it? The dealer says they have never changed a set of PCCB and that they will last far longer than regular. Ummkay but don't they cost like 10 grand after that to change??

edit worse 9k for a set of fronts 8k rears from suncoast, answered my own question, sorry guys.

Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #2

How many miles on the car?
Tracked?

If it's low mileage and not tracked, the brakes are not an issue. Prices will come down on pccb's as time goes on.

If it's high mileage and tracked, forget it.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #3

There was a guy writing in the UK Porsche magazines (911 & Porsche World :Problems Q&A) a couple of months ago who had damaged one of his PCCB rotors just because he had tried to remove the wheel without using the screw in alloy wheel guide supplies with the tool kit. Seems the heavy wheel knocked a small piece out of the leading edge of the rotor.
Something like 4,000 UK pounds to replace IIRC.
The mag suggested replacing with standard steel rotors and calpers.......
Old 01-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
Ex Esso kid

Never tracked, as new, beautiful car. The dealer says "we have never replaced a set of PCCB" yeah well IMO that is more likely do to the 16k part cost than lack of need for them to be changed. I'm going to avoid that one, I had an offer accepted today but it got mired in the details, I'm taking one more shot at it in an email to sales, otherwise I'm going to wave off until my down payment is entirely in order.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #5

If and when they need to be replaced, can't you just bolt on a set of standard rotors?
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
If and when they need to be replaced, can't you just bolt on a set of standard rotors?
Nice!
Simple logic is often the most beautiful!
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW02S View Post
Nice!
Simple logic is often the most beautiful!
Definite merit to the question though, because I think they use different calipers, the yellows look bigger anyway, and if that's the case the steel rotors would need to be the right thickness and diameter and they'd have to make pads for the caliper.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
Ex Esso kid

From the company that brings you triple square drain plugs? I sincerely doubt you can just switch rotors without changing the calipers, that car is out. I'm trying to see about finishing the deal I already had going, they seem open to it, I'll know more tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #9

You CAN switch out regular rotors and run "normal" pads in the big yellow six piston calipers. My buddy dropped the $8k on PCCB and they had horrible fade at the track and he yanked them off.

The technology, if you ask me, is too new, too expensive, and not dependable yet.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
You CAN switch out regular rotors and run "normal" pads in the big yellow six piston calipers. My buddy dropped the $8k on PCCB and they had horrible fade at the track and he yanked them off.

The technology, if you ask me, is too new, too expensive, and not dependable yet.
Was it on a Boxster? Not sure if they use the same parts on 987 and 997?
Old 01-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #11

Yup. 987S Boxster.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:09 AM   #12
Ex Esso kid

I was in professional sales for 17 years. Never once in that time do I recall selling anything where I had so much leverage I could actually give off the air that selling them my box was actually doing them a favor. I've been serious about buying a Boxster for a couple weeks now, it's the second highest expense other than my house and every dealer thinks they are doing me a favor by allowing me to buy one. I'm surprised the sales agreement doesn't include a "pretty please" clause you have to recite.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:58 AM   #13

Ghostrider, I know exactly what you mean. The arrogance level inside the stealerships in Houston disgusts me. And it's not just in the retail sales force either. You'll find it in the service dept. and the parts dept. too.

I guess the Lexus I bought a while back has just spoiled me. I felt like the king of the world every single time I set foot on the property. And they're all that way from what I hear. The Lexus CPO warranty is actually valuable compared to Porsche's pitiful, overpriced excuse for an extended warranty.

But to keep this thread focused, I must say that the Lexus I own has some of the worst brakes ever. It's almost as bad as my buddy's PCCB setup!

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 01-28-2012 at 05:00 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:32 AM   #14
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
I was in professional sales for 17 years. Never once in that time do I recall selling anything where I had so much leverage I could actually give off the air that selling them my box was actually doing them a favor. I've been serious about buying a Boxster for a couple weeks now, it's the second highest expense other than my house and every dealer thinks they are doing me a favor by allowing me to buy one. I'm surprised the sales agreement doesn't include a "pretty please" clause you have to recite.
That would be enough to move me to another make, or at least a private seller. And the company president would get a letter explaining it.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #15
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
That would be enough to move me to another make, or at least a private seller. And the company president would get a letter explaining it.

The same company president who doesn't have the backbone to address a thirty thousand mile engine failure with so much as a form letter? Every stereotype I ever heard about Germans is fulfilled in spades when dealing with Porsche. I gave the salesman my purchase parameters if he agrees Monday I'll buy it, if not then he can sell it to the myriad of waiting qualified buyers they always try to make you imagine are out the front door.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #16
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
+1^ My local dealer always gives me the feeling that if I'm not ready to spend >$100K, then its not worth their time. I asked to drive a pre-owned 911 (asking $72K) and they made me feel like I was dumpster diving.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #17
Porscheectomy

Quote:
The same company president who doesn't have the backbone to address a thirty thousand mile engine failure with so much as a form letter? Every stereotype I ever heard about Germans is fulfilled in spades when dealing with Porsche. I gave the salesman my purchase parameters if he agrees Monday I'll buy it, if not then he can sell it to the myriad of waiting qualified buyers they always try to make you imagine are out the front door.
Yup, that same one, and the dealer president as well. It's amazing the responsiveness I've gotten by sending emails directly to the big guy.

Call it the squeaky wheel but they don't like to hear bad stories at the top level, and not many people bother to try. Oprah once said that she can get 1000 letters that tell her how great she is, but the one negative letter is the one she remembers. They may not do anything about it from one letter, but they'll remember why you went somewhere else.

If I'm not treated with respect, I'm not going to deal with the company. I don't care what the next guy is willing to deal with. He's not me.

Last edited by blue2000s; 01-28-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #18
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
Yup, that same one, and the dealer president as well. It's amazing the responsiveness I've gotten by sending emails directly to the big guy.

Call it the squeaky wheel but they don't like to hear bad stories at the top level, and not many people bother to try. Oprah once said that she can get 1000 letters that tell her how great she is, but the one negative letter is the one she remembers. They may not do anything about it from one letter, but they'll remember why you went somewhere else.

If I'm not treated with respect, I'm not going to deal with the company. I don't care what the next guy is willing to deal with. He's not me.

Trust me, I hope they "dont" remember me, I got my guns off about the M96. In better news, I hope to purchase Monday, I just found out my (potential) new car has sport exhaust, awesome!!
Old 01-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #19
Porscheectomy

The '08 R8 is coming down to the $80-90k range. As much as I don't like the car , the GT-R is much less than a Spyder and much, much faster. Both with automatic clutch transmissions. Porsche dealers need to know that they're not exclusive enough to be such snobs.