Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #1

Selling your Boxster on Craigslist

Just curious if anyone has tried this and what bizarre offers they have received. I had listed my car a few times on Craigslist with my price a little high just to see what happens. I have not had any "real" hits per say.

So I thought this may be fun to list the crap people have tried to trade you for your car.
My car is a 00S with 60K in Triple Black. I have listed it for 15gs (Don't respond with I'm asking too much, that's not the point of this thread) and not interested in trades.

So far I have been offered:
$10,000 through email
$500 more than my asking price through paypal and my "helper" will come for it (scam)
04 RX-8 with 70k and 20" rims
01 Lexus IS300 120K black with black rims
Trade for a 99 Jetta, 02 Taurus, and 00 9.3 Sabb Turbo (but not all three combined?? Not sure what that means exactly. Later followed by take over my payments $6500 still owed and give me the 02 Taurus)
87 Camero (Duh, basically equal value)

That's all I can think of so far

Old 01-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #2

Here is a link to my ad. I know my ad isn't probably detailed with info as some of you might put into an ad if you were trying to sell it. Honestly the idea was just to see what would happen/ if anyone would hit on the ad.

2000 Porsche Boxster S-Triple black
Old 01-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
Matt

I guess it's how you list the items. I've never had offers like that for anything. I've always had great success selling things on Craigslist. Good luck. Honestly, if you want serious offers, I would put some quality, well lit photos.

Last edited by MileHighBoxster; 01-25-2012 at 05:48 PM.
MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Jake - sorry to see you are selling...seems like you just got it! Craigslist is annoying, get so much crap when posting there. The most dangerous is the fake login screen, watch for that one closely.

You know the funny thing, I actually got my car off of it. I had been searching for weeks traveled all over central and western NC looking for a car, all the good ones got a way. I had really given up and pulled up Craigslist and there she was...a red 2000 'S'.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighBoxster View Post
I guess it's how you list the items. I've never had offers like that for anything. I've always had great success selling things on Craigslist. Good luck.
Aren't folks in Colorado really nice and honest
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #6

I have had great luck with selling and buying cars on Craigslist,I sold my 99 Box on it for a $3,100.00 profit after driving it for a year and a half.

I also bought my 2002 Boxster W/68k miles on it for $9,000,00 in Oct. of 2011.
I love Craigslist,It's been good to me.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

When I sell a car on eBay, I always include the following text to keep the crazy people away;

Payment accepted as: Cash, PayPal, or Cashiers Check. No personal checks. No credit. No two week hold to wait for you to arrange your financing. And definitely no Liberian gold or bank accounts.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
Track rat

Garage
CL can be pretty effective for buying and selling with a little planning. I have sold 4-5 cars on CL and most were gone in 1-2 days. Try this...

- know your market. What other cars are listed and what price are they asking.
- Spend $100 and have it professionally detailed.
-Post AMAZING pics that make the car really stand out in it's surroundings.
- Sell the sizzle, not the steak.
- anon email response only, no phone # and simply delete all the lame responses.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:32 AM   #9
Ex Esso kid

I don't fear listing items on CL but I sure would be leery of people showing up to buy who are actually casing the house to later rob or "eighty two' the place as they say in the trade.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:18 AM   #10

Garage
Didn't anyone read the story about the boxster that was found dead in a motel room after being listed on Craigslist ?
Old 01-26-2012, 04:04 AM   #11
Ex Esso kid

I used to do business in the town that Dr. Killyou nitwit is from all the time.

In other news, my pal tells me that Porsche certification means squat. Reason? He states that if the certifying dealer hides damage and certifies the car anyway, there is no way for Porsche corporate to know. He works for a huge manufacturer and has been in the car business 20 plus. He said, with used cars its buyer beware no matter what the PPI or certification says, dealers can be underhanded and there is no lemon law on used stuff. So much for the long distance shopping...
Old 01-26-2012, 04:54 AM   #12

I sold all of my 944 stuff on CL, as well as my GF's motorcycle. There were a few scammers and crackpots but in general, the stuff sold quickly. Haven't sold a car...yet
'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:32 AM   #13

I have sold a few things on craigslist with success. Mostly household items and appliances, wood stove etc. Actually got good prices for the items. Never sold a car there, but I would absolutely list it on there as it's where I do most of my car shopping these days.
One word of caution: Last time I listed something I received a scammer e-mail. I responded to the person through email and after getting their response it was clear it was a scam. About a week later my e-mail account was hacked. I had a lame 6 character password and once they had my valid email address it took them no time to hack my account and spam everyone in my contact list. Now I have a much more complicated password. The bogus response to my ad came within about 15 minutes of when I posted it.

Last edited by Dave S.; 01-26-2012 at 05:34 AM.
Dave S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:55 AM   #14

You're not suppose to sell a Porsche on craigslist... you trade your cellphone to a Porsche on criagslist...

Glendora teen swaps old cell phone for Porsche on Craigslist - SGVTribune.com
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:01 AM   #15

Garage
Hey Ghost,

Command just sent over a file on you . Hmm ........... very interesting .
Old 01-26-2012, 06:53 AM   #16

Garage
I think Craigslist can be a mixed bag. I listed a SUV on Craigslist 2 yeas ago and ended up with 3-4 offers to buy the car sight unseen from supposed overseas US military members if I would work with their family or 'agent' to arrange financing and pickup. Definitely a scam of some kind since there were plenty of spelling and other errors. I had included a note for local sale only, but it didn't seem to matter.
On the bright side, the first local buyer that saw it bought it for full price.
Good luck with the sale, or figuring out a way to keep it!
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake D View Post
Here is a link to my ad. I know my ad isn't probably detailed with info as some of you might put into an ad if you were trying to sell it. Honestly the idea was just to see what would happen/ if anyone would hit on the ad.

2000 Porsche Boxster S-Triple black
I would leave out the third paragraph. If you don't want to sell it, why is it listed on CL? Putting in the bit about losing a job etc will certainly bring in the lowballers and scammers. Not to mention the part about a sports car being owned by a kid fresh from college...

The ad should be about the car, not you!
Old 01-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #18
Ex Esso kid

Jonny, check this out, I was looking at a spyder that carfax had as being owned 3 times. The last two owners had the car 29 days next owner 30 days, sounded dubious. Before I could even find out what the deal is it's sold. Boxsters are totally hot and overpriced right now because of the model year break. I think I might have to wait or give up on buying one the prices are stupid, way over list.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #19
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Jonny, check this out, I was looking at a spyder that carfax had as being owned 3 times. The last two owners had the car 29 days next owner 30 days, sounded dubious. Before I could even find out what the deal is it's sold. Boxsters are totally hot and overpriced right now because of the model year break. I think I might have to wait or give up on buying one the prices are stupid, way over list.
Usually when a car is owned for 30-60 days it means that the owner (private party or a dealer) bought the car with the intention to immediatley re-sell it (flip it) and the next owner likely intended to do the same.

Their business model is basically churning over cars as fast as possible while making ~$500 per car. Move 10 cars a month and you've got a decent business that you can run out of your cousins empty storage lot or warehouse. They won't get rich but it might be better than working a 9-5 digging ditches.
1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 01-26-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #20
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Didn't anyone read the story about the boxster that was found dead in a motel room after being listed on Craigslist ?
And missing a kidney....

1979 911 SC