Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 05:56 AM   #1

Window & Ignition

I have a 2000 Boxster with 86,000 miles. I have two problems (that may be related?) and have searched the older threads for a similar solution with no results.

1) Window - When I first looked at the car about a year ago, the driver window wouldn't work. I took it to a friend that had a used car lot to check it out before I bought it and he got it to work - no problem for the past year. About a month ago, it quit working again. I went online and used the 101 Boxster projects book to remove the door panel in preparation to replace the window motor or regulator. As soon as I got everything out, the window started working again. I'm not sure if it's a switch, connector, motor or regulator, but would like to at least troubleshoot the problem and order the parts so I can fix the problem if it pops up again.

2) Ignition - I've been having problems with the ignition switch. At first, it was hard to get the key in and sometimes difficult to turn. I shot some graphite into the switch and it temporarily helped with the turning. Now, the lights stay on in the car when I turn it off and remove the key. I talked with a mechanic and he said that the mechanical portion of the ignition was shot and needed to be replaced - the car still thinks the key is in the ignition. I've done several web searches and looked at the parts on pelican. Should I replace the whole lignition mechanism (electrical and mechanical portions) or can I replace the mechanical portion only.

Could the ignition have anything to do with the window? Thanks for any help.

dlmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
Matt

Hello. The two are not connected. The window sounds like a loose connection. I would put it back together making sure all connection's are tight and locked into position. I would never introduce graphite , or any other solid, into an ignition switch. I would remove it, clean it thoroughly by spraying it with electrical contact cleaner, and reinstall it. The lights do stay on for a while, and then go off, in mine too. They should go off when you lock the car with the fob if you don't like them staying on for a short time.

Last edited by MileHighBoxster; 01-23-2012 at 07:34 AM.
MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #3

I'll be prepared to clean and check all of the connections on the window. Since it works some/most of the time, you don't think it's the regulator or motor.

As for the ignition switch, will cleaning it keep it from sticking. Would there be any benefit of taking it to a locksmith to clean or replacing the mechanical portion of the ignition?

thanks
Old 01-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
Matt

I may not have the answer you want. I take my car to the dealer for anything it needs. If I were you, I would take it in, make sure all the 60K, and now, 90K maintenance is done, have the ignition cleaned and reinstalled and the motor checked. Other's would do much of that themselves.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
WV Boxster

Garage
the ignition switch is a diy job from the post I have read. Search them and go that route first- I doubt the two are related but there is a slight chance, the windows will not work without key on so maybe the switch is sending a false signal to window, again it is a stretch but if I had to fix one it would be ignition then work on window.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #6

Electrical switch

Change the electrical part first before going to the whole mechanical assembly. The electrical selector switch for the boxster is very cheap (approx. $20). Check your 101 book on how to replace it. It is very easy.
itoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #7

Changed the ignition and it seems to be working. The driver window quit again. I can hear it click when I hit the switch - no movement. It started working the last time I took it apart. Any suggestions. Thanks
Old 02-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #8

I took the door panel off again today and checked the connections. Everything looked good - window still won't work. Any help or advice appreciated. thanks
Old 02-05-2012, 05:07 AM   #9
WV Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmoore View Post
Changed the ignition and it seems to be working. The driver window quit again. I can hear it click when I hit the switch - no movement. It started working the last time I took it apart. Any suggestions. Thanks
when you take it apart are you just removing door panel or moving some of the window parts? It could be regulator I just replaced mine fairly simple. Mine was moving a little but crunching, grinding while moving. Yours could be in a jam.

Remove motor and try switch if it works then take out regulator Look for frayed wire or where it jumped track and is now jammed.