Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #1

After Cleaning Throttle Body Car Won't Start

After experiencing a rough idle I decided to take up the task of cleaning the throttle body which was pretty dirty. But after reassembling every thing and cracking a wire housing cable which btw I'm not sure what does. I started the engine a few times with no problems but did notice a whine coming from the throttle body area and also the the throttle body itself was being much more audible. But passed it off as just the product of having no sound proofing because the heat shield and carpeting was still off. Now after a few hours of sitting the car won't start at all. When I turn the key I just get a ticking sound as if its trying to ignite. So I recorded a video highlighting the Whine, failing engine start, and also the much more audible throttle body motor I believe. I would gladly go back to the dirty throttle body, but running engine of yesterday if I could. Is there a throttle body reset switch that I don't know about? So my question in a nutshell is how do it get my car back to normal.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

My car is 2000 2.7

Here is the video link: Porsche 986 throttle body problem - YouTube

Akie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #2

You have a vacuum leak. Open up the engine lid and check to make sure your air intake is mating properly to the throttle body.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #3

The clicking sounds like a dead battery. Just go back and check your work. If all you did was clean the TB, there should be no issues.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #4

So after going back to check over all the connections when I open the cars top to get back into the engine bay it slowly crawled open and then gave up in the service position and wont close. Also the windows are having a hard time opening or closing. Not to mention the dash lights have dimmed. So I have come to the conclusion that this is either electrical or battery related. And in hind sight when I put the car into the service position the first time for the actual throttle body cleaning, the interior lights did seem to stay on for an unusually long amount of time. So I guess its time for a new battery.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:00 AM   #5

Charge your battery 1-2 amps for 24 hours. (low and slow) is how to properly charge. Also check water level, do not overfill.
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
Matt

Based on your video, your battery is dead. Cause - who knows. You will need to (as stated above) charge your battery before trying anything else. Or, it could be the white socks.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #7

Case is now closed. It was the battery after all. The timing of it all is what kinda freaked me out. But today took the battery into a local auto shop they charged it and as soon as it was back in the car it started right up. Again I would like to thank you guys for all the suggestions and input.

Tags
starter , throttle body