Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #41

Wing going into tail lamps is like women and their over-drawing their lips with lipstick. [/QUOTE]

I kinda like that. Nothing is wrong with looking a little slutty.

I like the wing too. I think it's classy. The door is awesome. But, I am not impressed with the headlights.

The dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #42
Matt

Love the package. Headlights more than taillights. Overall package is very classy.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #43

Maybe it's just me, but I see elements of Volkswagen Bluesport sprinkled in there. The boxier and more angular shape I guess. I think better looking than the current gen Boxster, but I still maintain the 986 from 2003 is the best version they made in terms of looks. If only I could switch out the head and tail lights from the new version :P
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:00 AM   #44
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblood View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I see elements of Volkswagen Bluesport sprinkled in there. The boxier and more angular shape I guess. I think better looking than the current gen Boxster, but I still maintain the 986 from 2003 is the best version they made in terms of looks. If only I could switch out the head and tail lights from the new version :P

You might be onto something there blood, what if it was too wasteful of euros to scrap all the work done on the Bluesport so they "Frankensteined" it into the design? I think the headlights look like a cross between Nissan and MR2. IMO, the original fried eggs were weak, especially the cheese corner piece that always allowed moisture in during a wash. The current units are too busy, LED sprinkled in as if to say, us too. And the Spoiler going into the tail lights is ugly Benz-eske rip.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 01-13-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #45

the rear integrated wing kind of reminds me of the gt1 .
Attached Images

jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:06 AM   #46
Ex Esso kid

And that unit kind of reminds me of the Griswald stationwagon
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #47

It sure seems like Porsche is going upscale with the Boxster which leaves room for a new, smaller and more economical vehicle in their lineup. I like this new look - you gotta compete with the hot new Mercedes and BMW cars (and don't lose sight of what Jaguar is doing!).
dascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #48

I think it's terrible. Has anyone ever thought I wish my Boxster was longer and wider? They seem to be designing out the best parts of the original 986, the curves! The back looks flat now. It's very sad.
fusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #49

say this little video today All new 2013 Porsche Boxster reveal promo - YouTube
Old 01-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #50

sound clip The new Porsche BOXSTER 2013! It sounds rather AWESOME - YouTube
Old 01-14-2012, 04:24 AM   #51

The angular lines (especially on the headlights) make it look Japanese. As others have said, the rear hip seams really disrupt the flow, which is something I noticed on the 987 (the rear bumper seam angles up instead of horizontal like the 986's) when it came out. Not a fan of the brash rear wing either, but for some reason I love the brash side intakes. Interior looks nice, especially the console / center stack but things look to be getting squared off a bit in there also. The 986 IMO still has the best lines / curves in the Boxster family, if only they would of done the headlights more like the 987 from the gitgo.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:38 AM   #52

just noticed this bit from the promo site:
"When the vehicle is stationary, the convertible top can even be operated remotely using the vehicle key."

so i assume they've done away with the manual loop/lock/latch and went with an electric latching system...
Old 01-14-2012, 05:02 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectM96 View Post
Wow, I love those wheels and they look incredibly light (maybe a little fragile though).

I wonder if we can fit those...

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #54
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Here is an interesting side by side. For a second I thought I was comparing the 987 to a TR7. Wish I was good with photoshop, I'd morph cross between the two.

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #55

Hey new guy here. I've been interested in Porsches since I was a kid but haven't owned one yet for various that I won't go into here.

I just saw the changes for the Boxster for 2013 and I think they're right on the money. Never liked the previous iterations because of the push me pull you look and with no intent to offend, just too feminine looking.

But what they've come up with here is a proper looking sports car, greater weight in the rear, more aggressive from the front and sides. I've been playing with the configurator on the Porsche website and having a blast coming up with different looks regarding paint, top and wheels. It looks so good in so many colors.

I have to admit I was so excited that I decided to join a forum and expected to see heaps of praise for the new design but instead I've found a lot of unexpected criticism, intriguing. It's interesting reading for sure but it hasn't cooled my enthusiasm for the 2013 Boxster. I will be purchasing one in the fall.

Great website with great insight.
Chasaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #56

It sure is a long way from the concept, which is IMO still 100% more beautiful than anything Porsche actually made:

It still blows me away people will drop upwards of six figures for any Boxster.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #57

Garage
This redesign has actually been around for quite a while, the name of the picture is "new boxster", I have had this picture since march 2010 so it is not like Porsche sprung this on us all of a sudden.

The above image of the cayman is the first I have seen of it and I like the style changes more with the coupe than the roadster but I like them both just fine. I would happily drive either one.

EDIT: The photo has Road & Track watermarked on it so they must have done a bit on it in spring of 2010.

Last edited by landrovered; 01-14-2012 at 04:56 PM.
landrovered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #58

I like it....

When the photos of the silver car in the canyon were leaked a few weeks back I was not so sure...something just didn't look right...too much wheel gap and the car looked squashed front to back to me. After seeing the glamour shots on porsche's website I am liking it alot more. I am still not pleased with the car getting larger and would rather it be about the size of an mx-5 (assuming they are not bringing the baby boxster to market). It could even have less horsepower than the last generation as long as they make it lighter (2700-2800 lbs). The car is getting expensive so I would like to see more aluminum in it as an attempt to lighten the car. I do agree the seam above the intake is very strange...makes you wonder if the rocker area is replaceable or the rear fender? The headlights are not exactly the best part of the car as I would prefer them a bit more rounded as they are "MR2 ish". The only real thing I am bummed about is that with the big intake on the side, it looks like the rocker panel decals are a thing of the past. The car definately looks alot more exotic than the previous generations....hopefully it will drive the used prices down on 987's so I can afford one soo (make it a spyder too).

Last edited by papasmurf; 01-14-2012 at 11:18 AM.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #59

the front (headlights/intakes) actually resembles a ferrari 599 a little.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAP1DOUG View Post
Wow, I love those wheels and they look incredibly light (maybe a little fragile though).

I wonder if we can fit those...
Did you check how much 20" tires go for? You're looking at $975 for a pair of PZero (265/30/20) from Tirerack, before taxes/shipping/installation.

But then again, we all drive Porsches so we can certainly afford it!

Last edited by ekam; 01-14-2012 at 05:01 PM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote