Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
The lighting system is cool and unique in my opinion.

Try the parking lights next !
I had known about the parking light from back when I was a kid and had a chance to borrow (?) my dad Merc and subsequently a Peugeot. Thought that was cool and makes sense if the car is parked.

One sided fog light used while driving don't make sense. I know the roads in Germany have more than one lane. Someone screwed up and I'm going to fix it!! Or make all 4 brake lights. That should keep the tailgaters away if they do catch up.

2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post

Doesn't anyone read their owner's manual ???
I've read the owner's manual. Cover to cover. However, I don't recall the part about the single rear fog light.

Heck, I would be hard pressed to find anyone who could recall *every single piece* of information in a book they read.
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #23

I've read through nearly every single page in the 101projects book. Very interested in the topic and took time to soak all that information in! But I'm sure there are more than 100 questions you could ask me and I wouldn't remember what was written in the book.

But going back to the owner's manual. It's a great reference to go back to when you have questions about how certain features operate. However, I would understand if a user wouldn't think to refer to the owner's manual because of a feature they didn't think would be covered in the manual. But either way, this wouldn't apply to the original poster, as he doesn't even have an owner's manual anyways.
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden View Post
If you do that other drivers won't be able to tell when you step on the brakes, hense ONE light only.
When brake pedal depressed, the BRAKE lights, including the center high row of brake lights, also light up. Very apparent.
IIRC, one or more other countries are very strict about passing on driver side only. This would be impractical on our multiple lane highways. Not to mention folks who just plain disregard the rules.

Last edited by jotoole; 01-11-2012 at 12:54 AM. Reason: typo
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon View Post
but you would be happy driving around with people thinking "wow - that guy's riding his brakes a lot..."? how often do you use your rear foglight? i did when i first got the car, now i never do.
ALWAYS in heavy fog. And when in heavy fog, often passed by folks who are way out-driving the distance they can see. They have no chance of stopping short of something (or somebody) in roadway.
And some people think seat belts are foolish. Really don't give a rat's -ss what other people might be thinking.

Last edited by jotoole; 01-11-2012 at 01:07 AM.
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:24 AM   #26

I have a copy of the 986 owner's manual in pdf format and I would be happy to email a copy to anyone who pm's me for it.

And, for the record, I totally disagree - real men DO read manuals. If anything I buy comes with a manual, I read it cover to cover before operating the item. This has often saved me from costly "who'da thought?" lessons in life.

I apologize for coming across all admonish-y, but I'm sure anyone who has hung around here for any length of time will agree that there are a lot of questions posted that would not have been if the poster took the time to crack a book or (and I realize this is an extreme suggestion) used the forum search function. I don't mind helping others out with info, and have posted many long-winded answers to members' technical questions, but at least make the effort to see if the info you seek is readily available. This is topic is a good example as it has been covered in the forum previously here:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/19220-rear-fog-light.html

and here:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/26324-tail-light-rear-fog-question.html

and here:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/23448-rear-fog-lights.html

and here:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/22665-fog-light-bulb-problem.html

and here:

Tail Light Short Please help

and here:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/14178-rear-fog-lights.html

and here:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/11746-rear-fog-light-not-working.html

and here:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/8969-tail-foglight-problem.html

and these are just the first two pages of search results.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:53 AM   #27
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Mark, good reply...but in all seriousness one of the problems with a any forum like this, replies like your and stored historical content is this: To a new owner of a car, bike, truck, RV or what ever, when they experience something for the first time...ITS NEW TO THEM.

Your reply is a common statement made on countless forums: Search is your friend; take some time and look around; try doing your homework before you post...the list goes on.

Why does this seemingly simple problem arise? As I stated, when a problem is NEW TO YOU, the member may not know how to phrase the question they are thinking about, they may have searched and not found what they needed, or if they did...they may be hoping someone will talk with them about there problem. They do not want to be admonished for being foolish or taken for being stupid...they are simply reaching out for help.

The forums have become our old water cooler of the past and with this change there tends to be a tendency to be quicker on our reply to new members posting what the "older" crowd on a forum see as...OMG not another one of "those" questions. While I am new to this forum, this is not my first rodeo.

This is one of those cases where if you don't have constructive or helpful comments to make, it might be best not to make any at all. You can't moderate people into doing something you think is right, but what you can do is offer help. In this case, it sounds like you have a wealth of information and helpful areas to offer...have you thought about creating a FAQ thread to help in cases like this and other topics?

To the OP...thanks for asking the question, as I said your timing was perfect as I just noticed this on my car the same day.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:14 AM   #28

I think we just need a big sticky post listing out all the little questions that's been asked 100 times.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:26 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
I think we just need a big sticky post listing out all the little questions that's been asked 100 times.
Most of it is there if we look for it: Porsche Boxster (986) FAQ

x x x Fog Lights Integrated in Headlight Unit; Rear Fog Light, Left

I want to talk to people not websites!!!
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
Old 01-11-2012, 06:37 AM   #30

I like your idea Eric, and I think Ekam's suggestion is an excellent way to tackle it.

Suggestion for frequently covered topics could be:
-top doesn't work (handbrake switch)
-psgr side fog light not working (of course)
-battery dead, frunk won't open (use cable)
-key won't turn in ignition (take pressure off steering wheel)
-coolant light flashing (low coolant or dead engine fan)
-winter storage (also covered in owner's manual)
-white smoke (failed AOS)
-puff of bue smoke at start-up (normal)
-list of failed ignition switch symptoms
-top replacement (link to Mike's tutorial cuz if you can't follow this you shouldn't be doing it)
-list of handy special tools and their uses

Hey, I have an idea - maybe someone should write a book of a hundred or so common Boxster projects....
Old 01-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #31

Garage
The little Boxster has been around for 15 years already. I'm pretty certain that most questions have been asked before by now. I'm equally sure that all those questions have been answered too.
So, let's shut down all comments on Boxster forums!

I got my Boxster 1 year ago and I greatly enjoy reading through all the comments on this forum. It's like one big discovery fest and I appreciate finding out I'm not the only ignoramus.

Fog on Long Island? Not much or maybe it has cleared up by the time I get out of bed.
Bala, you're ready for your inspection?

Looks like we have some critical Boxster mass on Long Island, we should plan a Spring get together.
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #32
Porscheectomy

Automotive lighting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #33

1. I posted my experience (which did happen) to alleviate any embarrassment Bala, the original poster may have experienced.

2. I had in fact read the owner's manual right after purchasing the car, this tidbit of information eluded my recollection when I noticed only one light lit.

3. Comments like "Doesn't anyone read their owner's manual ???", especially in bold, regarding prior posters' comments will rarely elicit a positive reaction from them. General politeness and etiquette go a long way.

4. Yes, I agree this forum could use a FAQ section. It would save quite a few repetitive posts.

An Addendum : In all fairness, # 3 is something I've had to learn myself.

Last edited by coreseller; 01-11-2012 at 12:04 PM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
An Addendum : In all fairness, # 3 is something I've had to learn myself.

as long as it's not another oil thread i'll usually read it.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #35

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #36

Yeah, I can be a little abrasive sometimes. I try to compensate through good deeds.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
Smokes like boxster too.....
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
Old 01-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #38

No worries Mr. Mark, we're all compensating............with Porsches.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #39

darn! four guard is only available in 10-30...