Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #1

Better solution than a Porsche trickle charger ....

Use the Aventador.

DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #2

Garage
Better solution than a trickle chargers is drive or run your car as many times as you can. I pull mine out of the garage and idle it until its warm then put it back.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
I pull mine out of the garage and idle it until its warm then put it back.
That's actually very bad for your engine.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
That's actually very bad for your engine.

That's a stretch, it's certainly not going to cause engine failure, but it's also not any better than a maintainer.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #5

I guess the Aventador link was too subtle?
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
That's a stretch, it's certainly not going to cause engine failure, but it's also not any better than a maintainer.
Actually, no it isn't. UoA's show that running the car for short periods without warming it fully and driving it for at least 1/2 hour or so tend to break down the oil fairly quickly and load it with contaminents. Use a maintainer and leave it sit for the winter, your car will thank you for it...........

As for the Aventador, well that is overkill....

Last edited by JFP in PA; 01-09-2012 at 02:44 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:29 AM   #7

^Thanks JFP you can always provide the technical answer better than the rest of us!!!
Old 01-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #8

If I haven't driven mine after a couple of weeks I will start let it idle until it reaches 180 degrees and then I go on a short drive of about 10 miles. Car is always on a maintainer. But, here in Florida the best convertible weather is upon us, so I drive it every weekend...top down of course.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #9

Correct me if I'm wrong but most mechanics I know only let their car idle for a minute or 2 tops. Letting it sit idle will actually warm the car up slower. Remember friction creates heat, you're supposed to drive slowly until the engine gets warm.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but most mechanics I know only let their car idle for a minute or 2 tops. Letting it sit idle will actually warm the car up slower. Remember friction creates heat, you're supposed to drive slowly until the engine gets warm.

The Porsche manual that came with the 944 (which ran awful cold) always suggested starting the car and driving it slowly as you stated. I also believe that allowing it to idle and warm up will not in itself cause an engine to fail but to err to what you stated makes more sense. I don't see why letting it sit till spring is an issue either.

Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote