Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
2006 987

Garage
Instead of a Boxster I wish I would have bought....

Been spending some time on the Pontiac Solstice forum, seeing what they have to say about the Boxster: Pontiac Solstice Forum - Search Results for Boxster

They're pretty realistic, general consensus is the Boxster is way out of the Solstice's league and many of them wish they could afford a Boxster or even afford the maintanence a used Boxster requires. Most justify the Solstice by saying the turbo model has a similar 0-60 as the older S and has cheaper performance mods available but others just come right out and admit "I should have bought a used Boxster".

So I'm curious: seeing how we're all Boxster owners, has anyone had any regrets and wished they bought some other vehicle than a Boxster? Besides other Porsche models

986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #2

No !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #3

......Nope!
Jbocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #4

Garage
Regret? Hmm, seems that most boxster owners have eliminated this word from their vocabulary, shortly after their purchase :P
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
that car barely compares.
i actually drove one, and wouldn't recomend it to anyone whos stuck between the two.
its cramped in there, cheaply made, trans sux, and seats are uncomfortable.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:34 PM   #6
Registered Boxster abuser

As a second car I have no problems with having a boxster. As a primary, well maybe if I was a little younger and no kids.

I've been playing with this lately and it is a ton of fun for commuting. Yeah it sucks in the twisties

healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:20 AM   #7

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
i seriously considered the Solstice before i decided i really could afford a Boxster and upped my game.

if it had to be american, most likely a Vette.

nothing in a higher-end european i can afford.

i will have a used Ferrari some day though...

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:41 AM   #8
Ex Esso kid

I'd still get a Boxster but... Wish I would have bought one with a PPI from a dealer, whether it would have made any difference I'll never know. When I could shift I thought about buying a Detomaso Pantera, I'm sure after the boxster it would feel unrefined. As JD noted, a 10 year old 360 Modena can be had for around the same dollars as a new Boxster, now what are the odds you can get a Ferrari engine to 100K?
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:11 AM   #9

Garage
997 GT3 is the only car that I would sell my boxster for.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:42 AM   #10

Before buying the Boxster I honestly considered every car under the sun. I've had the Box for three years now and couldn't be happier with my choice.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:25 AM   #11

C55 AMG....
but if I ever get rid of the S it will be for a Cayman
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:50 AM   #12

I actually looked at a 2008 Solstice a few days ago and was considering trading in the Boxster. It was a nice car - only 10k miles and it had the 260 hp turbo motor but they wanted $20k for it.

I also looked at a Miata and I really do think the overall ownership experience would be better but I can't fit behind the wheel comfortably (6'3"). I am thinking about a new Jeep. You can buy a new soft top Wrangler with 285 hp for $22k around here.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:18 AM   #13
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Nope, while you can always find something else out there that is faster, cheaper or different, owning a Porsche is about owning a passion.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:23 AM   #14
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_inquiry View Post
Been spending some time on the Pontiac Solstice forum, seeing what they have to say about the Boxster: Pontiac Solstice Forum - Search Results for Boxster

They're pretty realistic, general consensus is the Boxster is way out of the Solstice's league and many of them wish they could afford a Boxster or even afford the maintanence a used Boxster requires. Most justify the Solstice by saying the turbo model has a similar 0-60 as the older S and has cheaper performance mods available but others just come right out and admit "I should have bought a used Boxster".

So I'm curious: seeing how we're all Boxster owners, has anyone had any regrets and wished they bought some other vehicle than a Boxster? Besides other Porsche models
Ok to simplify the posts please start each post with "Instead of a Boxster I wish I would have bought..."

Example: Instead of a Boxster I wish I would have bought... nothing else, the Boxster is perfect.

or

Instead of a Boxster I wish I would have bought... the Boxster made sense at the time for the price, but if I had the money I would have bought a lambo (or vette or GT3 or whatever)

Please do not say "Instead of a Boxster I wish I would have bought... a Veyron (or other ridiculous example)" unless it was something you could have actually purchased at the time and was considering. Posts will be on google/internet for all time so I'd like for others to come back and read this someday and go "Wow all these owners really liked their Boxsters even after many years of ownership, repairs, etc."

Also please include what you bought and when you bought it.

Here's mine:

Instead of a Boxster I wish I would have bought... nothing else, it's perfect so far. 1998 2.5, purchased 2011

Last edited by 986_inquiry; 12-15-2011 at 05:29 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:57 AM   #15
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_K View Post
I actually looked at a 2008 Solstice a few days ago and was considering trading in the Boxster. It was a nice car - only 10k miles and it had the 260 hp turbo motor but they wanted $20k for it.

I also looked at a Miata and I really do think the overall ownership experience would be better but I can't fit behind the wheel comfortably (6'3"). I am thinking about a new Jeep. You can buy a new soft top Wrangler with 285 hp for $22k around here.
I'm 6'1" and was very comfortable in a 2nd gen Miata. Actually I probably had more head room than in the Boxster. Which one were you having issues in?

Trading a Porsche for a Jeep? That's a lifestyle shift!
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:00 AM   #16
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
I'd still get a Boxster but... Wish I would have bought one with a PPI from a dealer, whether it would have made any difference I'll never know. When I could shift I thought about buying a Detomaso Pantera, I'm sure after the boxster it would feel unrefined. As JD noted, a 10 year old 360 Modena can be had for around the same dollars as a new Boxster, now what are the odds you can get a Ferrari engine to 100K?
Panteras are such beautiful cars. It seems like they have a cult following but not the wide respect that they should. I love how the trunk is a removeable basket that sits over the transmission.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:02 AM   #17

[QUOTE=986_inquiry;268772]Ok to simplify the posts please start each post with "Instead of a Boxster I wish I would have bought..."

Example: Instead of a Boxster I wish I would have bought... nothing else, the Boxster is perfect.

DAMN, I didn't realize this was a writing assignment. (Posted for all time and eternity.)
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:34 AM   #18
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthservices View Post
As a second car I have no problems with having a boxster. As a primary, well maybe if I was a little younger and no kids.

I've been playing with this lately and it is a ton of fun for commuting. Yeah it sucks in the twisties

Fun? Aren't Lexus cars for people who don't like driving?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:15 AM   #19
2006 987

Garage
[QUOTE=schnellman;268778]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_inquiry View Post
Ok to simplify the posts please start each post with "Instead of a Boxster I wish I would have bought..."

DAMN, I didn't realize this was a writing assignment. (Posted for all time and eternity.)
IT'S A TRAP!

Thread is for reference, so future potential buyers can read and decide whether a boxster is a good fit or maybe there is another vehicle they weren't considering. A thread like this would have helped me with my decision to purchase a boxster
Old 12-15-2011, 07:19 AM   #20

I'll take the 458 Spyder with the leggy blonde in it.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/ferrari-458-spider-driven-italy-top-gear-2011-12-02?imageNo=0

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote