Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 02:11 AM   #1

door speakers

i just discovered that my door speakers don't work!!! my brother was sitting in the car and noticed that all of the sound was coming from the speakers on the dash. i played with the fade on the radio and confirmed that both door speakers don't work. anyone ever encountered this before? i have had speakers "blown" before, but they usually make some sort of noise, albeit, not pleasant, but at least it signals a bad speaker. but this time, nothing and both? could it be just a loose wire? i'm asking because i don't have the keys to remove the radio to check. so before buying the keys or buying new speakers, wanted to see what my friends here thought first.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:16 AM   #2

perhaps the door "speakers" are really subwoofers...? i kinda feel as if air "thumps" out of it, but can't tell for certain. perhaps it's just resonance from the sound system of the entire car. does the fade on the original radio adjust to those speakers, or when i turn the fade to rear, it goes to the empty slots that people are using for the rear storage component speakers?
Old 01-01-2012, 03:23 AM   #3

Garage
Yes, the door speakers are just woofers. The fade on the HU is for the optional rear speakers.
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:57 AM   #4

i believe (someone will correct me if i'm wrong) but it's totally possible there is nothing behind the door speaker grill. depending on the year, i think the standard option is speakers in the dash only. optionally, you can add the door speakers ("woofers") and/or rear speakers. have you actually removed the grills to confirm there is something more than dead space there?

i think the three options were:

1. standard: radio + 2 dash speakers
2. hi-fi: standard + amp + 2 door sub woofers
3. bose: hi-fi + rear speakers

Last edited by tonycarreon; 01-01-2012 at 05:05 AM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003S View Post
Yes, the door speakers are just woofers. The fade on the HU is for the optional rear speakers.
Sort of correct... the fade on the h/u will adjust b/w front & rear (if installed) speakers. However, door speakers get their signal by combining front & rear channel signals from the h/u in the amp. There is also a crossover built into the amp which only sends lows to door "woofers" (which are just 5.25" paper cone drivers in a large plastic "tuned port". If you have fade set to 100% front, or 100% rear, no signal is sent to door "woofers" regardless if rear speakers are present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon View Post
i believe (someone will correct me if i'm wrong) but it's totally possible there is nothing behind the door speaker grill. depending on the year, i think the standard option is speakers in the dash only. optionally, you can add the door speakers ("woofers") and/or rear speakers. have you actually removed the grills to confirm there is something more than dead space there?

i think the three options were:

1. standard: radio + 2 dash speakers
2. hi-fi: standard + amp + 2 door sub woofers
3. bose: hi-fi + rear speakers
Wrong. Standard radio option cars had different door skins... w/o grilles. Only way to remove grilles is to take entire skin off as grilles are attached from behind.

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote