986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   door speakers (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/32888-door-speakers.html)

tuanle16 01-01-2012 02:11 AM

door speakers

i just discovered that my door speakers don't work!!! my brother was sitting in the car and noticed that all of the sound was coming from the speakers on the dash. i played with the fade on the radio and confirmed that both door speakers don't work. anyone ever encountered this before? i have had speakers "blown" before, but they usually make some sort of noise, albeit, not pleasant, but at least it signals a bad speaker. but this time, nothing and both? could it be just a loose wire? i'm asking because i don't have the keys to remove the radio to check. so before buying the keys or buying new speakers, wanted to see what my friends here thought first.

tuanle16 01-01-2012 02:16 AM

perhaps the door "speakers" are really subwoofers...? i kinda feel as if air "thumps" out of it, but can't tell for certain. perhaps it's just resonance from the sound system of the entire car. does the fade on the original radio adjust to those speakers, or when i turn the fade to rear, it goes to the empty slots that people are using for the rear storage component speakers?

2003S 01-01-2012 03:23 AM

Yes, the door speakers are just woofers. The fade on the HU is for the optional rear speakers.

tonycarreon 01-01-2012 04:57 AM

i believe (someone will correct me if i'm wrong) but it's totally possible there is nothing behind the door speaker grill. depending on the year, i think the standard option is speakers in the dash only. optionally, you can add the door speakers ("woofers") and/or rear speakers. have you actually removed the grills to confirm there is something more than dead space there?

i think the three options were:

1. standard: radio + 2 dash speakers
2. hi-fi: standard + amp + 2 door sub woofers
3. bose: hi-fi + rear speakers

Burg Boxster 01-01-2012 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2003S (Post 271708)
Yes, the door speakers are just woofers. The fade on the HU is for the optional rear speakers.

Sort of correct... the fade on the h/u will adjust b/w front & rear (if installed) speakers. However, door speakers get their signal by combining front & rear channel signals from the h/u in the amp. There is also a crossover built into the amp which only sends lows to door "woofers" (which are just 5.25" paper cone drivers in a large plastic "tuned port". If you have fade set to 100% front, or 100% rear, no signal is sent to door "woofers" regardless if rear speakers are present.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonycarreon (Post 271713)
i believe (someone will correct me if i'm wrong) but it's totally possible there is nothing behind the door speaker grill. depending on the year, i think the standard option is speakers in the dash only. optionally, you can add the door speakers ("woofers") and/or rear speakers. have you actually removed the grills to confirm there is something more than dead space there?

i think the three options were:

1. standard: radio + 2 dash speakers
2. hi-fi: standard + amp + 2 door sub woofers
3. bose: hi-fi + rear speakers

Wrong. Standard radio option cars had different door skins... w/o grilles. Only way to remove grilles is to take entire skin off as grilles are attached from behind.