Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2005, 08:24 AM   #1

Clear Bra Pictures

BuffaloBoxster was asking me about the clear bra so I figured I would post some pics of it for everyone. It has been on our Boxster for 2 1/2 years now and, personally, I will do it again. It looks best on darker cars, but it looks good on or speed yellow color too. I'm posting pics of the good and bad.

We have it on the bumper, hood, fenders, headlights and mirrors.

Here's some good shots of the hood and fenders
If you look closely, you can see the light line that is behind the headlight. The bra ends about 6" behind the back of the headlights on the fenders, but I had a custom sheet put on the hood that goes all the way up so there is no line on the hood.

The bad fender part
Notice the line around the back of the headlight. That is where dirt collects.

Some shots of the bumper
Please pardon the bugs. I pulled it out of the garage and took these in the morning after my wife had driven it home from work the night before so it has not been cleaned since last weekend. The nice thing is you can wipe them off with Plexus, just like the rear window, and it looks great. We have not needed to use any bug/tar remover since putting the bra on.

The bad bumper part
Dirt collects around the intake where the curves are tight. You can't see it very well when walking around the car.

The mirrors
The only part I would not do again. It's too difficult for them to get it perfectly flat on the aero style mirrors so a good bit of dirt gets under it.

The protection!
This is why I will do it again. I was hit by several rocks that a dump truck full of gravel dropped on the highway. I'm guessing at that, but there was a bunch of it being kicked up from the road. The rocks that hit me were 1-1 1/2" in diameter and I was going about 75mph. The plastic was torn a little and the paint was scratched, but no dent.

Overall, we are very pleased. The damaged sheet on the hood will come off with the aid of a hairdryer without damaging the paint. I will pull it off soon, repair the scratch and put the regular 1/2 hood cover part of the bra on it instead of the full hood cover.

Hope this helps some of you with your decision.

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:03 AM   #2

Looks good. Where did you get it done, & how much? I talked with a Z06 owner who had it done in Charlotte, and I think his price may have been upwards of $500. Is it really that expensive?
Still, it's invisible and protects from some of the normal dings... my car is pristine right now and I'm trying to figure out how to keep it that way. thanks for the pics -
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:08 AM   #3

That's great info but could you please modify the title of your thread to "Clear Car Bra Pictures" so others won't leap to open this thread and be tragically disappointed?
Old 07-29-2005, 09:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogans7
That's great info but could you please modify the title of your thread to "Clear Car Bra Pictures" so others won't leap to open this thread and be tragically disappointed?
Do you think I should tell my wife I was posting pics of her clear bra on the net?
Old 07-29-2005, 09:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by limoncello
Looks good. Where did you get it done, & how much? I talked with a Z06 owner who had it done in Charlotte, and I think his price may have been upwards of $500. Is it really that expensive?
Still, it's invisible and protects from some of the normal dings... my car is pristine right now and I'm trying to figure out how to keep it that way. thanks for the pics -
I got it done by Speed Film www.speedfilm.net

$500 is a good price. The 3M kit for the Boxster is about $400 itself then you have to add labor. Ours was $900 because they were not highly available when we got it done and the custom sheet took a good bit of labor to fit it correctly.

The bumper cover has no damage yet even though it has bumped a trailer hitch at a car wash a long time ago. I think since the bumper is flexible it's harder to tear that cover. The hood is the only part that has been damaged and I can replace it myself easily for about $125.

They sell just the kit, but I would not want to try to put the bumper piece on myself. Everything else looks easy, but that bumper has too many tight curves and such to try and get around.

Go with the 3M film over the Stongard. It's heavier weight and cut in single sheets rather than split cuts to go around some curves.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:33 PM   #6

Can anyone recommend a good 3M clear bra installer in/near Orange County, CA?

SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote