Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 12:41 PM   #1

Thinking of buying a Wrangler!

Anyone out there has a wrangler? I'm in Boston, and the idea of putting my boxster s in the garage while still paying for a car note and full insurance got me flipping out. I want a car I can use year around. So instead, I'm thinking about trading it in for a nice wrangler, 07 or 08. I hear wranglers are a lot of fun. I test-drove a black 2008 2d Sahara with manual transmission. It aint no boxster s fun but it was more fun than most other cars I've driven. I was gonna get a 911 awd, but I decided i should just lay low for a while (finances aren't great right now). Any thoughts????

19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled
CVstarBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
Registered Boxster abuser

If it makes you happy I say do it!
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
Porscheectomy

Make sure you check out the Jeep boards for a while. There have been many Jeeps in my family and most were less than reliable. Others have been pretty good. None were much fun on road. Off road is a different story.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #4

I personally hate Jeeps after the one my mom had although it was a Grand Cherokee... Wranglers seems to be better but the only wrangler I would buy would be the jeans.

Whats the idea behind a wrangler, that its a convertible also?
Old 12-29-2011, 03:21 PM   #5

There's a reason why most people in the middle east (including terrorists) drive Toyota trucks...
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:34 PM   #6

If you are going to store your car, call your insurance agent and ask if they have the option for non driving status. I have State Farm and when I would store a car for a long period, the cost was only about $25 for 6 months of comprehensive coverage. If I wanted to drive the car, all you have to do is call them and they would restore the original coverage immediately. They told me that a lot of people that have RV's do this to save a bunch on the insurance cost.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap

Last edited by Spinnaker; 12-29-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #7

Funny this thread came up. I just this afternoon traded in my 2000 S and bought a new 2012 Wrangler. Maybe I can post a picture tomorrow.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #8

I have both....just store the box. You will miss it. The Jeep is a brute force vehicle very agricultural. Sometimes a bit heavy in traffic. It is very engaging with the 6-speed; very rarely boring. Very stable on loose surfaces.....unstoppable in any kind of bad weather. So far no reliability issues yet but realize the build quality is very basic. Lots of mods available! I find it much more fun than driving a run of the mill econo box.....it's cool
Old 12-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
Porscheectomy

Forgot to mention in my earlier post, if you end up finding one that seems to have electrical problems, like the gas gauge doesn't read correctly, or the radio acts funny, DO NOT buy it. That truck will never work right, no matter how many things you try. There are no SMALL electrical problems in a Chrysler product.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #10

storage

Thanks for the input. The reason i have to keep full insurance coverage is because I still owe about 10k on it. So the loaner co. won't let me do it. Otherwise, I'd been done it. I just went for a spin on the porscha, and I gotta say it will be hard to let go of it. Absolutely vigorating to drive!

We'll c what I decide.
19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled
Old 12-29-2011, 08:04 PM   #11

I have personally owned a Wrangler and now I own an FJ cruiser. I have to say, after owning an FJ, I will never go back. The wrangler was nice........but..... On a side note, do not put any personal items in the wrangler, they are easy to have things stolen out of.

Happy shopping.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #12

I have owned jeep wranglers since 1993, they are great Little trucks and are in a class of it's own, Sorry your FJ 40 is no convertible my Friend. and yes you can go off roading with them but plan on a lot of body damage, the Toyota trucks you see in the Mid-east have diesel engines in them that are not available here in the U.S.

A Wrangler is not for everyone but for those who understand what they are all- about,you will love them.they are way easier and cheaper to own and maintain. test drive one first and ask an owner if they like their's before you buy one.

As for being reliable? the motors do not have over 20 design flaws and will not blow up on you.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #13
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbs986 View Post
I have owned jeep wranglers since 1993, they are great Little trucks and are in a class of it's own, Sorry your FJ 40 is no convertible my Friend. and yes you can go off roading with them but plan on a lot of body damage, the Toyota trucks you see in the Mid-east have diesel engines in them that are not available here in the U.S.

A Wrangler is not for everyone but for those who understand what they are all- about,you will love them.they are way easier and cheaper to own and maintain. test drive one first and ask an owner if they like their's before you buy one.

As for being reliable? the motors do not have over 20 design flaws and will not blow up on you.
The 4.0 v6 is indestructable, it's probably the best product Jeep has ever produced. Much better than the pre-hemi Grand Cherokee V8s. But vehicle reliability extends beyond the engine.

Last edited by blue2000s; 12-29-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
The 4.0 V is indestructable, it's probably the best product Jeep has ever produced. Much better than the pre-hemi Grand Cherokee V8s. But vehicle reliability extends beyond the engine.
True.... for one, the 4.0 is an in line 6 engine not a V6. the newer ones have the V6. A jeep Wrangler is nothing more then a metal box on a steel frame W/ a motor and transmission.Not much to go wrong.

And just a side Note,It has the highest resale value of any SUV sold in the U.S and has remained in the top 5 highest resale value of all vehicles sold in the U.S/both car and SUVs for the past 8 years, no other SUV has held it for that long.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:38 PM   #15

I have owned 7 Jeeps and currently have a 2008 Wrangler I purchased new. There is nothing in their class and nothing better off road. Period. They invented the off road vehicle and everything else is measured by how it stacks up to the Wrangler. Read ANY review and you'll see nothing does. As has been stated, a Wrangler is not for everyone. If you want to drive a bloated couch there are many vehicles out there (almost every SUV). The wrangler is not an SUV, it's a Jeep. I have owned every variant of Jeep from the CJ5 to the current JK and they rule off road. They are also a blast in the snow and on road - but they are not an SUV or big comfy couch. Test drive one and see if it's for you. There's a reason it has the 2nd best resale value - of ANY vehicle in the country. It will also take you places other's will never see. Mine have. It can be a highly secure hard top. A half top. A convertible or topless, let's see that from anything else. And, of course, doorless is always unmatched.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 12-29-2011 at 10:01 PM.
DenverSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:47 PM   #16

Do whatever floats your boat...sounds like the Wrangler keeps its value and is easy to sell if you decide it's not for you. And very sorry to say, but getting into another Boxster is even easier.

That is why I will never sell my 986 so I won't take the big hit.
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:17 AM   #17

Why not driving the Boxster in winter?

Yesterday it was -18 Celsius plus wind it feel -29. The boxster park outside start perfectly. I put the heated seat on, let it warm while I clean the snow off of it. Drove in great comfort and had my usual pleasure driving to work. Some time, I make a detour to small industrial road and take off the DSP just to increase the smile in my face.

I love my Boxster in the snow. I have paid to have a car I like, I'm not gonna let it sit during the winter time. Yes it does not look pristine, but my Porsche is not dust catching museum artifact, its my everyday fun dose! When its going do be too old, I'll sell it and by an other one. There is so many cheap one out there.

Its just my point of view, got to use these things

Later
wawa
wawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:13 AM   #18

custom boxster in the snow is a nono

Wawa, the reason I can't drive my boxster in the snow is because of all the mods. check it out.

19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled
Old 12-30-2011, 08:15 AM   #19
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbs986 View Post
True.... for one, the 4.0 is an in line 6 engine not a V6.
Oops, I knew that, thanks for the correction.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #20

Nice!! Very beautiful. Dont put your beauty in the snow. Find an other boxster just for the winter ;-)

wawa

wawa is offline   Reply With Quote