Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #21

i live in atl and charlotte.

first, i am GLAD that you are staying away from ROOCK. He caused more damage to my car than I could ever imagine possible. Just thinking about it, boils me again.

secondly, i completely agree with "going to whip". he's a great guy. glad i got to know him this year. you will be surprised at what he can do to your car, not only mechanically, but physically. mine looks practically new after he was done detailing it. but i do agree, driving 4 hours for an oil change/routine maintenance is excessive. but if you are looking for a trip and seriously want a great professional detail....WELL WORTH THE TRIP. i was trying to get my other car up here for him to detail as well.

but if you are at all interested in doing it yourself, just give it a try. most things are surprisingly easy. if you are uncomfortable, hook up with someone on this forum in atl. most on here are very friendly and would love to show you the ropes around your new toy.

enjoy!

Old 12-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #22
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Do you have the previous records on the car. Maybe you can get a few more things thrown in to make the dealer price more worth while. Or if you do take on a few yourself get a little savings and enjoy the hands on. I know for many getting hands on just isn't time practical.

Anyway I think knowing the previous history can help tell you if you need brake work both flush/rotor/pads work...or anything else.

I agree it is a haul to Charlotte, I really don't know how Tuan does it all the time in that Boxster. Check out some other shops in Atl, that is one big city, think there would be a bunch of Indys.

Keep us posted on how it works out. In the mean time enjoy the ride, mine has been up on stands since Wed and I already miss her.

Cheers.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:13 AM   #23

Garage
I live in Newnan BUT am all over the metro. I purchased the car CPO and they performed all maint. including new brakes etc... So really it needs belt, oil, plugs, filter.
Xmode007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:00 AM   #24

Garage
I called the dealer today where i purchased the car. All maintenance is up to date except the 60k. So I'm in good shape. Searching around I found a place called Freed Performance. Owner/ operator shop in Cumming. Price looks reasonable @ $700 for parts and labor. He can complete the work in 4.5 labor hours. I talked to the guy for 30 minutes or so about model year and problems he has seen and things he looks for when servicing various model year Boxster. He sounds and talks pretty well about Porsche and is authorized dealer for Fabspeed products.

Long story short I think i will give him a shot. Of all the people I have called on the phone he actually took time to talk about the service, and maintenance related items on Boxsters. Thoughts?
Xmode007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #25

run a search on RennTech or Rennlist in the 996 forum (most replys, 986 gets very little) on the Independent mechanic you plan to use. Bad mechanics hate those.... good mechanics also read them. It only takes one bad month to undo years of good reputation in the internet era.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote