Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #21
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Another angle.

I think it depends on the color of the car.

Silver cars look fantastic de-ambered

Red and black cars look really nice with the amber

plus I think de-ambering the lights shows you're a "modder" and if you ever decide to sell the car I think that might detract from the ability to sell it.

Attached Images

986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt brad View Post
hey guys,

as a new owner i'm still feeling my way around the boxster world. i had thought that the only way to get rid of the "fried egg" look was to buy the litronics. like coreseller, i could not justify 1500.00-2500.00 just to de-amber the front end. however, i am interested to see the 03-04 bosch units for around 800.00. still a ridiculous price, but it's just part of the cost of entry to the porsche world. how much are fried egg lights worth used? i could be persuaded to go the bosch route if there is any market for used fried eggs.

brad
The clear halogen Bosch units are what I bought brand new and used for 2 summers. I eventually did buy Litronics and fully deambered them, then sold my original ambers for $300. If you are interested in my Bosch clear halogens (which can be fully deambered), let me know. Price is earlier in this thread. They are in excellent condition and will come in to original boxes.
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:44 AM   #23
02 box s

right now my thoughts are to add the bosch lights and then later add the pedros garage xenon conversion. seems like a less expensive proposition than the factory litronics with similar results.
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #24

I wouldn't. I like the amber.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:16 AM   #25

imho, if you are going to deamber, do it the litronics way, or the bosch. i don't think the tinting/diy looks that good.
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:46 AM   #26

I have to agree, the amber looks great on the green car. On my black car however, I prefer the clear. I bought new Bosch, got them for about $900 including shipping.

I also completely agree that trying to mask the amber with dark tint just makes it look worse.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #27
Boxster S Bassist

Sorry to get into this thread so late but again, what is the procedure for de-ambering my current headlights?
John Bergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bergen View Post
Sorry to get into this thread so late but again, what is the procedure for de-ambering my current headlights?
Buy Litronics headlights from a reputable source. That's the easy way. There's also the deambering that I believe Madmods did in the show and tell forum which is best mod I have ever seen for the Boxster cosmetically speaking, but not for the feint of heart as it involves some risky steps.

There is also the amber-ectomy of the Litronics so that you have no orange anywhere inside the light as well as outside. You basically take a soldering gun and a pair of needle nose pliers and break apart the little orange reflector inside and pull out the pieces. Its a very clean look.

I think amber looks so bad but it does make the car look dated. Even in the rear, I switched the clear tail lights for LED tailights and it looks much up to date.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-14-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #29

I bought a set of Litronics with the harness and computer on eBay for $750. I did an amberectomy and sanded/polished the headlights. It was a bit of work, but well worth it. Not just for the looks, but the better visibility at night too.

Shop around and you can find a good deal on eBay. Just don' be in a hurry to buy and you'll find what you want at a reasonable price.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #30

The headlights on my 2002S do not have amber. Does that mean a prior owner changed them? (they are xenon, with regular fog bulbs)
ganseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #31

Yep. Lucky you - those are pricey.
Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #32

I bought the Bosch units to replace the fried eggs. When the lights arrived the internal parts weren't attached to the housings, which I found out when I took them in to be aimed. Fortunately there are some really good people working at our local dealership. Big Mike spent over an hour with extended reach tools and fixed them - he looked like he was building a ship in a bottle, and I imagine it was about that hard. They only charged me $100 including the aiming. Considering that they were aftermarket lights bought somewhere else, I was very grateful that they didn't just tell me to take a hike!

Last edited by Mark_T; 08-15-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
Yep. Lucky you - those are pricey.
buying used Litronics can be good luck. But then it can be a problem if one of the goes out and you don't have a warranty. Then your savings just went to zero.
I had to replace one recently after someone backed into it, and the dealer price was $1,000.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote