Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2005, 11:59 AM   #1

Angry Here's what a failed water reservoir looks like.

After my mysterious coolant loss and reading about several others with a similar situation, I decided to replace my coolant reservoir over the weekend along with the new, updated cap. It worked, no more coolant loss.

While I was in there, I went ahead and replaced all of the spring clamps with real, screw on type clamps (a TSB says to replace them if they leak, but why wait for a leak?). When I pulled out my tank, I could not believe the number of stress cracks in the thing.

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:21 PM   #2

where did you buy the tank and the coolant? Local dealership?

I wonder what Sunset sells it for and if they'll ship coolant via UPS or if it's considered "hazardous materials"

My mechanic said with the age of my boxster I should do the same thing you did as preventative maintenance.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:31 PM   #3

replacing coolant tank

I have heard that this is a very difficult job. What was your experience?
Old 07-18-2005, 01:17 PM   #4

Randall: I got them at the local dealer. My wife had been Boxsterless for nearly 2 weeks while I figured the problem out here and there so I just went down and picked it up. The reservoir was $255, the cap was $17 and the coolant was $44/gal. If you are a member of PCA they give you a 10% discount and those prices are after the discount. Compared to online suppliers it was about the same price. If it's a big difference at Sunset, please let me know. I'm ordering future parts needs soon.

Tom: It's not too tough if you lift it high enough. I had it about 21" up so I could be on a creeper. It took me about an hour to get it out after the car was lifted, the carpet was removed and the engine compartment was opened, two to get it back in. The most difficult part was getting the new hoses connected from the tank to the metal tubes. I found a couple of things that were much easier to do than explained in other posts. I'll post the whole process on my website when I get a chance in the next few weeks. The only tools you need are a ratchet wrench with a 10mm & 15mm socket, regular size pliers for the clamps and a screwdriver for prying. Air tools really speed things up underneath when you pull off the tranny cover.

It took me the whole weekend to do it because I am anal about everything to a fault and I was working on a couple of other things too. I clean every part I take off thoroughly and take pics as I go in case I forget how it goes back together. I also decided to replace all of the hoses that go from the tank to prevent having to take it out soon due to a busted hose.

I went to NAPA and bought 2' each of high pressure heater hose in the same size diameters. I also got 5' of 8mm high pressure fuel line since heater hose does not come in that size. I cut the pieces I needed to size and replaced all of the hose I could along with the clamps. Not bad as the hoses I replaced are $100+ at the dealer, $7 at NAPA. The only difference is my hoses don't have part numbers stamped on them. I'm ordering the two large hoses and the 3-way hose that you can't get elsewhere some time soon so the next time I have the covers off I can replace those.

The final thing that took awhile was I filled the system slowly with water to pressure test it under running conditions before the covers were all put on. After warming it up to 195 degrees and seeing no leaks I let it sit over night Saturday because overnight was when I was losing coolant. When nothing leaked, I drained the system again on Sunday and then put in the liquid gold.

The dealer (Hennessy Porsche in Alpharetta, GA) was very helpful when I picked up the parts. I wasn't sure about the amount of coolant I needed and the special tools listed on AllData DIY. The parts guy asked a tech about filling the system and he told me how to do it the right way and keep from having air pockets.

Old 07-18-2005, 01:21 PM   #5

John, I just bought a front radiator fan from Sunset. My stealership here in Houston wanted 366.00, and Sunset charged me $189.

I bet that resovoir would have cost $135 or so from Sunset.

I'll post what I paid for mine in about a month on this thread for you. I'm gonna buy one and replace it regardless of if it needs it or not.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
John, I just bought a front radiator fan from Sunset. My stealership here in Houston wanted 366.00, and Sunset charged me $189.

I bet that resovoir would have cost $135 or so from Sunset.

I'll post what I paid for mine in about a month on this thread for you. I'm gonna buy one and replace it regardless of if it needs it or not.
I requested a price quote to see the comparison for future needs. The reservoir at Sunset is $164.73 compared to the $255 I paid locally and the revised cap is $10.98 compared to $17 locally. I also checked the hoses I will be ordering soon for the next time I'm under the Boxster and they were all about 40% off the local dealer's cost. I will definitely wait for the parts next time and get them at Sunset.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:07 PM   #7

don't know if this is related but I noticed a small puddle the other day when I had the car's air conditioning running while the car sat in park.

p.s. I also noticed after a driving event that a five inch cylindrical tube made of copper was hanging from my front bumper and someting that appeared to be sand was spilling out. I quickly patched the pin hole with JB quick weld and tucked the tube back into the bumper. What was that thing?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 12:53 PM   #8

The small puddle while the A/C was running was probably just condensation, which is normal and to be expected. See if it's clear water and not colored fluid.

Now the second thing about the tube just sounds like an alien thing within your car and frankly, I'm gonna have nightmares about that.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:46 PM   #9

Garage
perfectlap the cylindical tube is part of the electonics of your cooling fan....apparently some sort of regulator, It should be in good condition for the proper cooling fan operation, verify your fans are operating...failure in one of them will cause your reservior tank to burst and your water pump to give in not to mention your cooling radiators to bleed green.....
Pablito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 07:17 AM   #10

if the cooling fans were opertaing fully, wouldn't this trip the check engine light?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
if the cooling fans were opertaing fully, wouldn't this trip the check engine light?
Do you mean "if the cooling fans were not operating fully"? I don't think the CEL monitors anything with the fans, just emmissions issues. I think the red light on the temp gauge will start blinking if one of the fans fails, but I don't believe it can tell if it is just running a little slow. I know it starts blinking if the engine compartment fan fails. It may show up as a higher temp reading if it's pretty hot outside and one fan is not blowing at full capacity.