Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #21
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Did you buy yours new? If not it could be that the owner prior to you had the dealer deactivate that feature.

EDIT: Also, my sister's '99 functions the same as mine. It could also be a change they made for MY00 since that's when a few things, as big as the debut of the S and as small as a .2L bump to the base engine, came along. Maybe they got rid of the horn beeps, too.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top

Last edited by Overdrive; 12-05-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #22
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
Did you buy yours new? If not it could be that the owner prior to you had the dealer deactivate that feature.
No, I didn't buy it new. The noise of the doors locking is loud enough for me as an audible confirmation. So I like not having the horn chirp for a routine lock.

I wonder what else the dealer can activate? Do all cars have the automatic door lock function at a certain speed (3-5 MPH)? Mine does this.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #23
Pat

Both of my black plastic oval covers have come loose and fallen off. Has anyone else experienced this before? I'm considering gluing them back into place.
If that's a good idea, does anyone have a recommended glue for something like that?
Old 12-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #24
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb View Post
No, I didn't buy it new. The noise of the doors locking is loud enough for me as an audible confirmation. So I like not having the horn chirp for a routine lock.

I wonder what else the dealer can activate? Do all cars have the automatic door lock function at a certain speed (3-5 MPH)? Mine does this.
I think that's a feature of later cars. There's no mention of it in my manual, and my car has never done it, so I don't think mine can. The only thing that happens at 3mph is that my spoiler warning light extinguishes after startup. I have to remember to press the lock button when I get in, since there's no other way of locking them but that switch.

I know that the dealer (or probably any person/shop with the equipment) can also change how long your car takes before it re-locks itself when you unlock it with the remote and don't pull a door handle (e.g., unlock car, forgot something in the house, went back inside without locking the car or opening the door, the car will lock itself and reset the alarm in 2 minutes). It can be set anywhere from 4 seconds to 120 seconds, the latter of which is the default.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #25

Anyone know where I can get those covers? The used 1998 Boxster I just bought did not have them.
gomarlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomarlins3 View Post
Anyone know where I can get those covers? The used 1998 Boxster I just bought did not have them.
You have to go to a dealer. One of mine fell off. Where? When? Don't know. I ended up using some contact cement to make sure they never come off again.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:54 AM   #27

^Thanks. They are dark lenses, correct? Do they just pop in like the front and rear trunk lights?
gomarlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb View Post
Interesting, Overdrive. My 2000 didn't have the confirmatory horn beep when locking the doors via the remote. Maybe the dealer has the option to turn this feature on or off. The lights do however flash.
On my '03 Base, the horn chirp alerts me that something is not secure, usually the compartment between the seats. Once I make sure it is latched, I just get a flash of the lights to let me know my system is armed.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #29

mine does the same. a horn beep after locking means something is not secure. 04 S

rene525d is offline   Reply With Quote