Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 05:52 AM   #1

06 S vs. 07 S vs. RS60

I thought I posted this yesterday, but I must have forgotten to hit submit. I'm facing a decision to buy one of the following...

06 S - 41K miles, 10 months of CPO left - $28K frpm local Porsche dealer

07 S - 40K miles, no warranty, used dealer across the country - 29K

08 RS60 - 30K miles, factory warranty through 3/31/13 - $37K - used dealer in state

I'd get the 60 in a second, but don't love the red interior. Part of me likes it, but part of me envisions headaches from sun glare... Thoughts? I've read several threads and am taking the "get the newest car you can afford/w warranty" advice to the degree I can!

Last edited by Daylorb; 11-17-2011 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Error in title
Daylorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:10 AM   #2

If you can afford a 08, wait a bit & buy a 09 with no IMS! None of these are 986 tho.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:11 AM   #3

Garage
I've read several threads and am taking the "get the newest car you can afford/w warranty" advice to the degree I can!

You have more or less answered your own question. In any case, in '07 the boxster received the updated engine (s) of the cayman, along with other revisions . In my opinion, that alone makes it a more desirable vehicle than the '06 . As far as the RS 60 is concerned, I rather like the red interior . In fact, it's almost sexy . However, I prefer the black top over the red . Either way, you should get one .

p.s. Keep in mind, that speed yellow with a black interior trumps everything !
Old 11-17-2011, 06:29 AM   #4

06 S vs. 07 S vs. RS60

This RS60 has the black top actually... I'd wait on the 09s but man, it is a long wait. I originally set a budget of $30K and have been creeping it up. But most 08s I have found are at least $40K and closer to $44-45 right now, and 09s are up in the 50s. Definitely a stretch.

Sounds like the RS60 though would be the way to go from above. With 16 months of warranty left, that is a nice safety net as well.

Last edited by Daylorb; 11-17-2011 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Error in title
Old 11-17-2011, 07:10 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daylorb View Post
This RS60 has the black top actually... I'd wait on the 09s but man, it is a long wait. I originally set a budget of $30K and have been creeping it up. But most 08s I have found are at least $40K and closer to $44-45 right now, and 09s are up in the 50s. Definitely a stretch.

Sounds like the RS60 though would be the way to go from above. With 16 months of warranty left, that is a nice safety net as well.
At the risk of resorting to cliches, you only live once . So go for it !
Old 11-17-2011, 07:22 AM   #6

In a similar vein, I bought a CPO '06 2 years ago as my "starter Porsche", because the one I wanted was too far out of reach. I'll drive it until a '10 Boxster S in in my price range.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #7
Ex Esso kid

My choice would be the RS60 for the following reasons: 1) It's under factory warranty which you might be able to extend. 2) It has a number of very nice options that would cost a fortune to add later an item at a time. 3) It's unique in contrast to the others. As for the 09-2012 not having an IMS? From what I'm told not only does it still use a similar bearing but only by splitting the cases can said bearing be serviced.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
At the risk of resorting to cliches, you only live once . So go for it !
+1, get the RS60 and enjoy it fully for (at the very least) as many of those 16 remaining warranted months as possible. Be the top red or black, those are some fine looking special models.

WE WANT PICTURES!

EDIT: As an aside, it's actually pretty awesome to see that someone actually DROVE that car with some purpose. 30k miles on a ~4 year old car...commendable considering how little mileage some other Boxsters see. Mine is 15 years old and only has 45k on it!

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top

Last edited by Overdrive; 11-17-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
My choice would be the RS60 for the following reasons: 1) It's under factory warranty which you might be able to extend. 2) It has a number of very nice options that would cost a fortune to add later an item at a time. 3) It's unique in contrast to the others. As for the 09-2012 not having an IMS? From what I'm told not only does it still use a similar bearing but only by splitting the cases can said bearing be serviced.
2006-2008 still have IMS and have to have case split to replace 2009-2012 do not have an IMS of any kind, thank God.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

I agree with the RS 60 but only if you'll be happy with the red interior. I'm guessing that it might be one sacrfice that you can live with!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #11
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
If you don't want the red interior you can have my black one.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #12

I was over at the dealer this morning and they got an RS60 in on trade yesterday - guy didn't even know it was on the lot. Got a chance to look at the red interior. Part of me loves it, part of me is ho-hum on it, but I think I can live with it.

Love the way these cars drive, I'd like to get into the track side of things, and it seems like this would be a pretty ideal car to do it with. Given the 16 months of warranty left on it I'm going for the RS60!

Getting the deal done tomorrow - having a guy from a place called AutoCritic inspect it tomorrow morning. Checked around and seems like they know their stuff - talked to him today and he certainly seemed to be able to rattle off all of the things I should be concerned about.

Hopefully by end of day tomorrow the deal will be done!!!!
Old 11-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #13

RS60 is basically a loaded up boxster. after having a car with red interior you will only want a car with red interior. my favorite boxster man , go for it and see if you can get it certified so you have no worries.
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #14

So basically take it into the local dealer and see if they will certify it? Didn't know that was possible - will definitely try to do that.

The dealer is going to have one with 12k miles on it, red top, barely used that they are going to list certified for $45K. Didn't sound like they were going to have a lot of flexibility in that price though. Seems like this one would be better bet.

The one at 45k has also sat - the rotors are rusted pretty badly - seems like it didn't get a lot of usage.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #15
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbs986 View Post
2006-2008 still have IMS and have to have case split to replace 2009-2012 do not have an IMS of any kind, thank God.
Again, this isn't what I'm being told, the new engines use a bearing it's bigger, beefier and hopefully has more than 30k in it. Surface rust on the rotors and hats is unfortunately common.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:52 PM   #16

red and silver roadster is about as classic as you can get. It is also by far the easiest color interior to keep looking brand new for years. dirt seems to hide vs. black that requires constant attention.
I was dead set on finding a red and silver Porsche and as luck would have it one shows up within 10 miles with an S motor and barely 10K miles to boot. I don't think I spotted another one like it (that wasn't on the other side of the country) for over a year.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #17

Had the RS60 inspected - brakes are at 50%, tires are 3/32 in front, 4/32 in back (i.e. need new). Slight paint work done in two places, but looks like it was for scratches only. Needs new battery, but apparently rest looks really good - asked dealer to meet we halfway on tires (knock off $500) we'll see!
Old 11-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #18
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Again, this isn't what I'm being told, the new engines use a bearing it's bigger, beefier and hopefully has more than 30k in it. Surface rust on the rotors and hats is unfortunately common.
Not sure who told you this, but the DI engines from 2009 on don't have an intermediate shaft. The cams run off the crank. So no IMS bearing.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:02 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daylorb View Post
Had the RS60 inspected - brakes are at 50%, tires are 3/32 in front, 4/32 in back (i.e. need new). Slight paint work done in two places, but looks like it was for scratches only. Needs new battery, but apparently rest looks really good - asked dealer to meet we halfway on tires (knock off $500) we'll see!
In this economy, the dealer should not only step up to the plate on the tires, but the brakes as well. In fact, I'd ask them to paint my house and seal drive-way along with it .
Remind them that there are other boxsters out there .
Old 11-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #20

Tried to get the $500 back but they wouldn't bite. I've already gotten them down $4k from where they originally listed it and it is way below KBB (if you put any weight into those numbers).

I've been looking for several months and at $37K for this car, with 16 months left on warranty, it is going to be really hard to find something close. Any of the CPO options I've found are $45k+, the closest deal I've been able to find is coming in at $40K with shipping and less warranty.

Did I hit the bottom of the market on pricing? Maybe not - but I'm done - agreed on the price, did the deposit and am picking it up in a couple days!

Can't wait - thanks for everyone that chimed-in!