Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #21

I am in the Morehead City/Beaufort area. Charlotte is 6 hours away. will need more than coffee. Thank you anyway !!!

milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #22
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanRon View Post
I just had this problem pop up with my brand new replacement top. The cable on the driver's side closes outside of the frame. Can you provide any more details on what to look for to correct?
ChairmanRon,

I believe I had the same issue that san rensho describes on my fairly new at the time aftermarket top. Here is a pic of the velcro loop that failed due to the threads coming out of the material. I'm not sure if there was too much tension placed on the loop for some reason or if the thread was poor quality. The top was later replaced due to the glass separating from the top which was an early problem with the some of the early glass-retrofit replacement tops.

There are other reasons for the top to close outside of the frame but this is an easy thing to check. If the loops are attached properly I'm sure some more knowledgeable folks will chime in with other possible causes.

Best of luck,

ddb

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #23

I love this board! Thanks DDB. The pic is REALLY helpful. I'm going to check out the exact spot when I get back to the house.

I will have been gone a few weeks and look forward to that gigantic puff of white smoke that will come out the back when I turn the key.
ChairmanRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #24

Garage
It is most definitely the VELCRO straps...unfortunately they are poorly made and will fray with time. I bought some two-sided velcro and sewed it into the original location on the top/.

Closes perfectly every time now.
John99Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:28 PM   #25

Garage
I am in Wilmington...eastern NC.
John99Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by John99Boxster View Post
It is most definitely the VELCRO straps...unfortunately they are poorly made and will fray with time. I bought some two-sided velcro and sewed it into the original location on the top/.

Closes perfectly every time now.
Yeah, that velcro wears out. I just used duct tape to secure it. Not elegant, but so far it works.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000