Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #1

Garage
GT3 or aftermarket

Would you spend a similar amount for used Porsche OEM Recaro GT3 seats fixed back with Porsche rail and sliders, or purchase new aftermarket brand name race seats with a curent build date, then purchase rails and sliders. If the end price turned out to be the same within about $100. The seats in question are in good condition a color that matches my interior and have the Porsche crest on the head rest. The others would be black leather. I have not found an aftermarket Grey seat in either cloth or leather.

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #2

Garage
You should check out this site . Very high quality aftermarket seats that you can customize to your liking .

www.statusracing.com

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 10-24-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #3

Garage
Stratus Ring Gt FRP Leather, was one of the 2 other choices but I did not see color choice beside Black Red and Blue. I'll look again.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
Old 10-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Pat

When you say "race seat," do you really mean race seat? If so, don't get the OEM stuff. I'm guessing you don't really mean that, in which case I'd go OEM or Status.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:26 AM   #5
Ex Esso kid

Those seats are cool but having it say status doesn't appeal to me.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:26 AM   #6

do you actually drive the car on the track? how much? in what capacity?

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:30 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
Stratus Ring Gt FRP Leather, was one of the 2 other choices but I did not see color choice beside Black Red and Blue. I'll look again.
Look again, they offer both gray and graphite color choices .
Old 10-25-2011, 06:11 AM   #8

Used GT3 seats are almost always a bargain for what you are getting. It's a proven seat. To get something comparable from the aftermarket (for street use - that can withstand collision) probably means getting a kevlar race seat and those are way expensive. If the GT3 seat leather is too worn you can probably have them reupholstered since the cushions are vlecro'd in to allow for the racing belts to pass between your legs and down under the seat. In other words easy to remove and drop off with someone who does that sort of leather refinishing thing. I thought about doing lack carbon fabric I've seen around on bikes. The same for the pocket door lids and e-brake. And the best thing of all is that you can remove the seats with only a torx bit and a socket and extension. No having to drill holes or install rails. Piece of cake.
This weekend I had to tighten the seatbelt hardware as it was starting to rattle. Had the seats ubolted and hardware torq'd in 15 minutes, both sides.The Porsche guys did their homework on this part of the 996/Boxster. Just like swapping out brake pads for the track it's such a simple process.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 10-25-2011 at 06:14 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:49 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Look again, they offer both gray and graphite color choices .
Yes I looked closer last night. and saw the selection. Graphite Grey is the correct collor. My mind is close to being made up. Thank you for the info.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:59 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by insite View Post
do you actually drive the car on the track? how much? in what capacity?
7, AX events this year and 4 HPDE track days this year. I am close to being able to run solo in DE. The chance of someone making a mistake including me gets higher going up in class. Im not going to get a china seat the crumbles around me in an accident. If I can get to Pocono next year I could see speeds of 130. I was told this by my last instructor. I have run 120+ at WGI back straight and that is a 10 to 12 story climb

Last edited by jsceash; 10-25-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #11

Garage
The third seat was the 070.98.LS19 Recaro Pole Position Leater Black with grey inserts.