Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
Track rat

Garage
Cha-ching$$$

Ok so I have owned my car now for 6 years and it has served me well through 30K miles and 50+ track days with very little money spent on repairs. It has been essentially as reliable and trouble free as my wife's Lexus. I have added track goodies over the years and the suspension was due for replacement earlier this year.

Now at 97K miles on the clock I get a bearing noise from the left rear. After diagnosis on the road we put her up on a lift and find internal trans bearing noise. Rats! This one is not gonna be cheap or easy. I searched options and decided a low mileage dismantler trans was the way to go. Also, while we are in there it's time for a new clutch assy, new flywheel, IMS upgrade, RMS replacement... Cha-ching $$$ Probably $5K when all the work is completed. Making up for lost time I suppose. My repair tech is my new best friend.

FYI my original IMS bearing came out today and was in very good condition. It was clearly not new but the seals were intact on both sides with no obvious bearing play. Not bad for 97K miles.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
Rennzenn

Garage
woo-hoo, more evidence supporting that the Boxster needs to be driven! Love to hear this kind of IMS story.
Check w/G-Box on the transmission. I could have bought one of their rebuilts for what I paid to have less work done on mine. Any thoughts on replacing the open diff? I've got the Guard torque biasing and am very pleased.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
woo-hoo, more evidence supporting that the Boxster needs to be driven! Love to hear this kind of IMS story.
Check w/G-Box on the transmission. I could have bought one of their rebuilts for what I paid to have less work done on mine. Any thoughts on replacing the open diff? I've got the Guard torque biasing and am very pleased.
Hi J,
Yes I considered a nice rebuilt trans and LSD but I really want to run another year in BSX class so LSD is out. Used 1st gen Boxster trans are plentiful in dismantler yards and I have had very good luck going this route in the past with Toyotas, Fords, Chevys, Nissans. I have probably bought 15-20 used trans over the years for my service fleet with only 1 bad one which they promptly exchanged. Good odds.

I like Matt Monson at Guard a lot and he was helpful while we were discussing my options. Maybe when my 2.5 finally gives up at 140k I'll slide in a 3.8L with a proper racing trans and Guard 60/40 LSD. For now she will stay nearly stock and run BSX.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

$5K is actually a pretty good deal for all of the work that you're having done! Nice to hear about a perfectly intact IMS at nearly 100K miles too.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #5

Garage
I had a german mechanic tell me one time that IMS bearings only fail because people don't drive them the way they are meant to be driven :P, Again, this is solid proof that he is right lol

Good luck with everything man! $5k isnt much to spend over that many years in a boxster :P
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #6

Garage
Eric from Hergisheimmer Spec Boxster race team has a trans he just rebuilt for sale on some of the forums, that's the route I would go. Do it nice or do it twice !
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:55 AM   #7

Topless, I wish my story had been as positive as yours. I've sunk at least $8k into repairs alone on my 97.

Probably had a lot to do with the fact that I didn't know much about cars in general and boxsters in particular before I bought mine ... and I didn't get a PPI on the car before purchase. I should have done a LOT more homework.

Live and learn!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #8
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Eric from Hergisheimmer Spec Boxster race team has a trans he just rebuilt for sale on some of the forums, that's the route I would go. Do it nice or do it twice !
Yes I considered that trans also. In a perfect world I would always choose a no compromise solution to the problem. Until Roger Penske calls and offers to support my racing habit I simply don't live in that world. Repair costs dig directly into my tire budget so I choose very carefully.

A nice, reasonably low mileage 5spd from a dismantler at 1/5th the price makes more sense to me right now. If I get a dud the first time and have to exchange it during the 90 day warranty I am still money ahead. I expect a good used trans will go another 5 years/30k miles in my car and at that time I will consider a motor and trans upgrade. I don't tend to bang on em like some younger drivers so I can get along with a good used one.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
+ 1 on Hergersheimer workmanship and most important integrity...
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
A nice, reasonably low mileage 5spd from a dismantler at 1/5th the price makes more sense to me right now. If I get a dud the first time and have to exchange it during the 90 day warranty I am still money ahead. I expect a good used trans will go another 5 years/30k miles in my car and at that time I will consider a motor and trans upgrade. I don't tend to bang on em like some younger drivers so I can get along with a good used one.
Topless, I relate with your comments

Precisely last night I was underneath my (daily driver) Alfa Milano troubleshooting a powertrain horrible clanking noise that had gotten worse over time.

After determining that the transaxle was the culprit, my wife (on the driver seat, carefully releasing the clutch), finally accepted that I had made a good investment when I purchased those transaxles as spares (3..!)

I swapped the first about three years ago, drove about 25-30k and now is time to replace it again, however when you consider that I paid about $150 for each, it does make sense (even to my wife..) ..ha!

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote