Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #1

tires

I am looking for new tires for my 986. It has the 18" Michelin tires on it now, but, I would like a quieter longer lasting tire. Any suggestions?
Thanks

barender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
You'll find that there are many suggestions and opinions on the matter, barender. You may want to do a search, I can almost guarantee you that you'll find your answer in one of the many discussions that have already taken place on this topic over the years. I will say that there are good, less costly tires that are comparable to the Michelins that should satisfy you. Give the search a try.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #3

Look at the new Super Sports.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #4

You could also try Tire Rack. Look at the reviews and reports on the tires you might be interested in. It's a helpful site with lots of info.

And, just to start off the "discussion"....I recently got new 17s for my 986. Dunlop Direzza. I went with +1 size on the front to somewhat ease up on the understeer. I had them on during Boxstoberfest and combined with the trip from KC to Texas have put about 2000 miles on them. So far I like them a lot. Quiet (not as quiet as the Bridgestones I replaced but not bad), handle very well and seem to be good in the rain. We'll see this weekend how sticky they are....DE is coming up and I haven't yet (still) got the R's that I'm wanting. But my mechanic today commented on them while doing the inspection. He's using them on his car and loves them at the track. "If it rains this weekend, you'll be the fastest SOB there". We'll see! lol.

I think even if you don't track them they are well worh a look.

The only reason I'm commenting on them is they're pretty new and I don't think there's been much discussion about them on the forums. At least not that I could find.

Bob.
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by barender View Post
I am looking for new tires for my 986. It has the 18" Michelin tires on it now, but, I would like a quieter longer lasting tire. Any suggestions?
Thanks
With the possible exception of "all-season tires" I am guessing your dissatisfaction is due to improper alignment &/or low tire pressure, causing uneven tread wear which makes noise & slashes tread life. If that is not the case then you must reduce the hi-performance capability of your tires to get longer tread wear & reduced wet weather performance tread design to minimize noise & tendancy for uneven treadwear.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
With the possible exception of "all-season tires" I am guessing your dissatisfaction is due to improper alignment &/or low tire pressure, causing uneven tread wear which makes noise & slashes tread life. If that is not the case then you must reduce the hi-performance capability of your tires to get longer tread wear & reduced wet weather performance tread design to minimize noise & tendancy for uneven treadwear.
Yep, quieter and long lasting starts with alignment. Other questions are wet/dry grip needs, cold weather use (summer or all season tires), and budget. Boxster tires run full spectrum.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #7

I am happy with my Sumitoma HTR Zlll. About $800 for the set at tirerack, plus shipping and mounting.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:10 AM   #8

I think most people fail to consider the simple fact that these are sports cars and typically a sports car will wear tires in a shorter period of time. That said, getting a tire with a higher UTQG rating plus a proper alignment based on your driving style will help the tire wear more evenly and last 'longer.'

Me, I budget for at least 1 set of rear tires per year and a set of fronts ever 1.5 years
I have a spirited driving style and I autox the boxster at least 6 times a year and run either the Pilot Sports PS2 or Advan AD08. but both of those have a UTOG rating of less than 220.

Many people on this forum have indicated they like the performance and wear of the Sumitomo HTR Z series. you are in GA, so you may need to look at an all season tire.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)

Last edited by kabel; 10-11-2011 at 07:14 AM.
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:15 AM   #9

I am very happy with my Continental ExtremeContact D+W.

I had the Perelli's previously, I found them to be very expensive, very loud and they wore out extremely fast. Worst tires I've ever had on any car.

I was looking for a summer tire that had some manners. I am very happy with the Continentals. The Continental is rated as a "max performance summer tire", but its much more of a plush ride by comparison. Quiet, and smooth and they do great on the highway. Excellent in the wet. I do think you give up a little compared to the Michelin PS2s in term of maximum dry grip. I don't track my car and I am very happy with these tires and would buy them again.

Last edited by fatmike; 10-11-2011 at 07:18 AM.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote