Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #1

E-VAP noise HELP!!

So my 2000 Box makes this humming/whinning noise when at a certain rpm. I've had the car in the shop 4 times trying to find out what the noise was, sounds like a front right wheel bearing.

Finally a mechanic finds the problem. The e-vac hole beside the gas cap! If you put your finger over the hole while the car is in motion, the noise stops. This hole is sucking in air, and has two sensor on the inside wheel hub.

Has anyone ever had this issue??? and how do I fix it??

Thanks

Dre

bulkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #2

I had the same noise last year!

Here is what I did for my 2003 Boxster 2.7 (maybe P/N are not the same that you need):

There are two (2) solenoide valves press fit in a valve housing behind the gas filler section. Accessing that valves housing is done by 1- Removing passenger front wheel and plastic wheel well. Valves housing will be at top right of the wheel well just behind the front headlight. The housing is bolted up there, so unbolt it.

The best way to access and remove the valves from the housing is done by going by the passenger side front headlight that you have to remove first. Use a flash light and you will see the valve housing that you just unbolt. Inplug power from the valves (both terminals are different, you can't mix them. There is a plastic sleeve that cover the valves. Use a Torx screw driver to remove it. Pry gently the valve metalllic ring and voilą!

First of all I did order Shut Off Valve P/N 996.605.201.01 ($72.00) from Sunset. Did replace it but it wasn't the good one, noise was still there. Did order the second valve P/N 996.605.213.01 ($41.00) and noise gone!

See att. pictures of the valve itself and the drawing showing both valves position.
Attached Images

Upgrades so far: 4 Stalks installed,OBC, Cruise Control, Variable wipers, Rear speakers, Alpine CDEHD149BT deck, Alpine MRP-F250 4 ch. amplifier, Blaupunkt THb 200A pre-amplified subwoofer, XM radio integration, 997 shifter, front motor mount, LN Engineering IMS upgrade and much more.
tolum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #3

My car made a pretty loud "wooooooo" sound - kind of like blowing over the lip of a coke bottle. I pulled the inner fender liner and removed those valves and somehow the car fixed itself. I have a guess that the sound might come back in the colder weather. It's funny how I never had a CEL for the evap system. You'd think if the valve didn't work at all the car couldn't test the fuel tank tightness. I also replaced the "vent valve", which is a part the clamps over the fill pipe under the fender. I neveer did figure out exactly why the noise disappeared.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #4

i am trying to picture you with your hand in the gas fill area while the car is moving.......how exactly is this accomplished?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulkman View Post
The e-vac hole beside the gas cap! If you put your finger over the hole while the car is in motion, the noise stops.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #5

Well picture the back end of your car on stands...then picture someone inside giving it gas just like they were driving it....THEN picture me standing next to the car with my finger over the evac hole!! VOILA! It's accomplished

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite View Post
i am trying to picture you with your hand in the gas fill area while the car is moving.......how exactly is this accomplished?
Old 09-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #6

Thanks Tolum! Do you have to replace both of them, or is there away to figure out which one is acting up?

Dre
Old 09-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Well picture the back end of your car on stands...then picture someone inside giving it gas just like they were driving it....THEN picture me standing next to the car with my finger over the evac hole!! VOILA! It's accomplished
weak! in my mind there were rollerblades....

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks Tolum! Do you have to replace both of them, or is there away to figure out which one is acting up?

Dre
Tough to say. If I was you I would start with the part shows as #9 on the PET above. That's the one that was in trouble on my side and as your probelm is exactly as mine, I would start with that one first...

Good luck.

Thierry

Upgrades so far: 4 Stalks installed,OBC, Cruise Control, Variable wipers, Rear speakers, Alpine CDEHD149BT deck, Alpine MRP-F250 4 ch. amplifier, Blaupunkt THb 200A pre-amplified subwoofer, XM radio integration, 997 shifter, front motor mount, LN Engineering IMS upgrade and much more.
tolum is offline   Reply With Quote