Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #1

Castrol Edge? is it a new Syntec?

Hi,

I'm planning to change oil and I was looking for rebates on castrol syntec 5w40...

I noticed Castrol has a new oil they advertise "edge".. they advertise it as full syntetic.. and a "new formula"

Should I go for edge or stick with Syntec?

Did anyone tried it or know anything about it?

Thanks
Sasha

sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:30 AM   #2

I would go with the proven Syntec 5w40. It takes awhile before you know about a new oil and it's characteristics to be known.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha055
Hi,

I'm planning to change oil and I was looking for rebates on castrol syntec 5w40...

I noticed Castrol has a new oil they advertise "edge".. they advertise it as full syntetic.. and a "new formula"

Thanks
Sasha

No, Edge is a new product, is not available in 5W or 10W-40 weights, and does not hold the ACEA A3, B3, B4 ratings.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #4

Thanks,

I'll go with good old syntec

Sasha
Old 06-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #5

In a related vein, JFP---You still recommending the Syntec 10W-40 over the 5W-40?
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
In a related vein, JFP---You still recommending the Syntec 10W-40 over the 5W-40?

Yes, UoA's continue to support that it holds up somewhat better, particularly under high heat/shear conditions.............
Old 06-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppmo
"No, Edge is a new product, is not available in 5W or 10W-40 weights, and does not hold the ACEA A3, B3, B4 ratings."

This is wrong information. Edge is a generic label.

For Porsche you should use EDGE SPORT 0W-40

Technical Specifications
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, C2, C3
API SM/CF
BMW Longlife-04
Porsche (except Cayenne V6) A40
MB-Approved 229.51
VW 502 00 / 503 00 / 505 00
Data sheets I have say that Edge is only available in 5W-30 and 10W-30 weights, and they do not have ACEA A3, B2, B4; both are also too thin for Porsche use. The "Edge Sport" is supposedly not widely available currently in North America due to some marketing agreements according to my Castrol rep.

As for 0W-anything weight oils, based upon how well most hold up in UoA's, I wouldn't use them in my lawn mower...........

Last edited by JFP in PA; 06-15-2010 at 01:09 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Data sheets I have say that Edge is only available in 5W-30 and 10W-30 weights, and they do not have ACEA A3, B2, B4; both are also too thin for Porsche use. The "Edge Sport" is supposedly not widely available currently in North America due to some marketing agreements according to my Castrol rep.

As for 0W-anything weight oils, based upon how well most hold up in UoA's, I wouldn't use them in my lawn mower...........
JFP's correct. EDGE is not available in the US in anything other than the xw-30 weights.

from castrol's US site:

Old 06-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #9

A lot of guys over on the BMW forums are using it, and seem happy with it, but I'd agree with JFP here.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #10

Garage
in any case having to do with OIL and the m96 motor I would always go with the opinion of someone like JFP because he can back it all up with tests and experience

as true as it may be that it works well in other motors I can only compare it to a friend of mine who is a huge mustang guy. they love to build High horsepower motors good for some of them into the 1000hp range... what oil do they use? many just use whatever is on sale at the time.

every motor is different and like cloudsurfer said in this case I would defer to someone like JFP
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #11

When it becomes readily available here, we will take a good look at it; but I’m not going to pop $60-70 per 5 Qt jug to test it, particularly when some of the stuff I’ve come across was imported from Malaysia or Australia, and may not be the same formula they eventually release for North America.

If you really want to get a killer oil, just hop on over to your local Ferrari dealership as ask for some of the Shell Helix that they make for Ferrari’s wiz-bang cars; really nice product that sells for around $100 per liter………..
Old 06-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
When it becomes readily available here, we will take a good look at it; but I’m not going to pop $60-70 per 5 Qt jug to test it, particularly when some of the stuff I’ve come across was imported from Malaysia or Australia, and may not be the same formula they eventually release for North America.

If you really want to get a killer oil, just hop on over to your local Ferrari dealership as ask for some of the Shell Helix that they make for Ferrari’s wiz-bang cars; really nice product that sells for around $100 per liter………..
This reminds me of a funny story .... Quite a few years ago I owned an Alfa Romeo Spider. Yeah, I know - lets not even go there. Any way, the same dealership also sold Ferraris. To make a long story short, the dealership loved to "tout" the Agip brand of oil. Interestingly, depending upon which parts counter you were standing in front of (Alfa or Ferrari) determined the price of the oil. For example, if you were at the Alfa counter the price was $$$$. If you were at the Ferrari counter the price was $$$$$$. Both for the exact same oil.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 06-15-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #13
Pat

This practice is common. Not only for oil, but parts. I.E. a control arm for a VW might be $$$, but if it's the exact same part sold for an Audi it's $$$$.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #14

speaking of agip...

Old 06-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #15

One more question:
Is 10w40 too thick for Seattle?

Car is always garaged overnight so in the night it never gets under 50F
During day I park in underground parking.. so I don't think gets under 32F too often...
And in Seattle there is very rarely sub freezing temperatures..

I'm asking because I cann't find 5w40 anywhere and local Napa store has 10w40 for 7$ quart
and closest wallmart/Advance Auto.. is 1hr away from me

Thanks
Sasha
Old 06-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #16

I run 10w40 Lubro Moly here in Seattle and have never had a problem. Same issue, couldn't reliably find 5w40. And $7/qt isn't so bad these days.

I did get a 3-gallon case of Delo 400 for $25 for the truck. But then again Mobil 1 for the bike was $14.99/qt. I've stopped caring about the price of motor oil a while ago. Just cost of doing business.
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #17

We run 10W-40 year round in most of our customer's cars out here, and we see temps a lot lower than you ever would............. You'll be fine.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha055
Hi,

Thanks
Sasha
I think it's just a marketing gimmick, basically same product new name.
keithl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #19

Actually, no, Edge is a distinct product with completely different ratings than Syntec; and is currently available only in a couple of weights that are not usable in a Porsche. Castrol also has a “Pro Edge” product line in more compatible weights, currently unavailable in North America, that is getting very favorable reviews overseas…………
Old 05-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #20
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

This thread is a year old, and it looks like Castrol is rebranding stuff.
It appears Castrol Syntec is now Castrol Edge with Syntec.
www.castrol.com has all the details.

They even say the 5w-50 has zinc for older cars.

tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote