Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #1

Garage
What Happened to My Forum?

Logged on this morning to get the latest scoop from my 986forum buddys and what do I find? The home page is now changed to the point that I can't see, at a glance, all the updates people have posted.:troll: Is there any way to go back to the old format for my login?

Sorry Bruce, but I dislike the update as much as I dislike facebooks recent face lift.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #2

Me too. Go back to the old format. (Please? )
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #3

Garage
Double ditto ! What happened ???
Old 09-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
Administrator

Hello all. The 986Forum is undergoing some changes, as you might have noticed. The forums software that was on the site was from 2005, more than six years old. The site had already been hacked quite a few times because of these security holes. In addition, the performance of the site was terrible because the software was so old.

The plug-in that gave all of that information on the front page was also very old, and isn't compatible with the software update. The two features that you mention (recent posts and birthdays) are still available on the site - simply click on the "New Posts" link at the top of the page, and the birthdays are listed at the bottom of the page. Other than that, the only thing on the front was the rules page from 2008, which didn't do much to attract new members to the site. To refresh your memory, I have attached screenshots to this post.

No one likes change, but in this case, it was *absolutely* necessary to update the site's software into this decade. In addition, the speed of the site should be lightning fast now, which is pretty important as well.

There are some other changes coming to the forum in the near future - announcements forthcoming soon. In the meantime, your patience is appreciated.
Attached Images

986Forum Webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
kpm

Apparently the forum is now wide open for spammers.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #6

Just typed out a long PM to someone...went to preview it and was unable to do so. Instead, I got the following message:
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

Such treatment, after all these years as a forum member!!! No reason given, just banned (apparently) forever.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #7

is 986forum also trying to compete with google+ (i.e. the big facebook update) LOL
honestly I didn't eve see any changes, I go directly to the forums directory

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #8

No noticed changes here either - except that it's much faster. Thanks for that. New owner, new furniture.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
No noticed changes here either - except that it's much faster. Thanks for that. New owner, new furniture.
someone needs to visit the optometrist. *I KEED*
Old 09-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #10
Forum Sponsor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
About 10X faster by my measures. Still trying to work out a few kinks from the software upgrade. Going from 2005 to 2011 software in one swoop is not fun nor painless.

Thank you everyone for your patience and continued support.

-Wayne
• 101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper

Now Available:
• 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997
Wayne 962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:26 AM   #11

Thumbs up

I am sure it will take some time for the "bugs" to get worked out of the new software platform. You patience is appreciated, as this is never easy.

Oh, and please, no references here to Facebook in the same sentence as our beloved Forum. That would be hurtful to us old timers, who eschew something so new as FB!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #12

Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee View Post
I am sure it will take some time for the "bugs" to get worked out of the new software platform. You patience is appreciated, as this is never easy.

Oh, and please, no references here to Facebook in the same sentence as our beloved Forum. That would be hurtful to us old timers, who eschew something so new as FB!

Finally the forum pops right open like all my other web pages, instead of filling in in 1/3 increments on the screen! I never complained about it because I figured it was your site and that's the way it was. But it's sure better now!

Keep up the good work!!

J T
Old 09-23-2011, 04:02 PM   #13

I guess it depends on how your shortcut is set up. I've always come straight to the forums page and I see not too much difference other than being faster.
Since I'm on dsl and not a super fast connection, I probably see less difference in speed.