Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 03:40 AM   #41

I will continue to follow the recommendations of Charles Navarro, Jake Raby and JFP in PA who witness the cars in real life, not some recommendation or "approved" oil list from Porsche...what BS. Brought to you by the same folks that manufactured weak connecting rods, inferior IMS bearings, plastic galore, etc., etc.

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:14 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta View Post
I will continue to follow the recommendations of Charles Navarro, Jake Raby and JFP in PA who witness the cars in real life, not some recommendation or "approved" oil list from Porsche...what BS. Brought to you by the same folks that manufactured weak connecting rods, inferior IMS bearings, plastic galore, etc., etc.
Charles recommends certain Mobil 1 oils. Jake has never (IIRC) publically recommended any specific oil, only intervals, and at one time was getting ready to market his own brand of oil. And JFP in PA pretty much repeats whatever Jake says.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:39 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Wow. After reading that article I'm afraid to put coco butter on my face; never mind choosing the right engine oil . So what's the verdict for normal to "spirited" street
driving ? Either 0-30 or 10-30 synthetic ?
JD,

You can read the rest of Dr Haas's oil articles on BITOG: - Bob is the Oil Guy

Regards,
paul...
paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:39 AM   #44

I've called 4 Porsche dealers in Florida. They all use only M1 0W-40. They have stated, they have been instructed by Porsche to only use this weight.
As far as intervals, I change mine every 5K. Mainly cause its easier to keep track of oil change intervals. If I had to, I wouldn't go any more than 7.5K.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:03 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandodiaz View Post
I've called 4 Porsche dealers in Florida. They all use only M1 0W-40. They have stated, they have been instructed by Porsche to only use this weight.
As far as intervals, I change mine every 5K. Mainly cause its easier to keep track of oil change intervals. If I had to, I wouldn't go any more than 7.5K.
Ditto. I do 5K changes on all of my vehicles because it's simple to keep track of. Each vehicle uses a different weight of M1, but the Box gets and always will get 0W40.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
And JFP in PA pretty much repeats whatever Jake says.
I wouldn't bet money on that.................
Old 02-24-2012, 02:12 AM   #47

I use a time / milage basis, with 6 months or 3500 miles. I now have all my vehicles on the same schedule with one change in the spring, and one change in the fall. The weather is nice outside then...

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:31 AM   #48

Those Q's shouldn't be allowed to be asked online in all honesty! Anyone concerned with oil change, who don't know when to change it, should really speak to a track/team side support engineer or the team manager if possible. He/she will simply ask you: "tell me how you drive your porsche, and at what outside/engine temp, and I will tell you when to change your oil".

It is as simple as that. I believe any decent race team or aware track car owner knows that oil should be flushed after each track day/race.

You could translate and apply this into your daily driving. E.g. I would change my motor oil if I would be stuck in traffic for more than 1 (one) hour during a very-very hot summer day for instance. You shouldn’t need to rely on your little km gauge to judge whether you need to change your oil!

If anyone haven't understood the concept of modern "oil" until today, I'd just give up trying to find out and suck on what porsche "generalize" in their (thank god) User manual
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #49

Madmods, now that you know everything you ever wanted to know about oil, how about working on your English?
Boxster101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:03 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster101 View Post
Madmods, now that you know everything you ever wanted to know about oil, how about working on your English?
haha check the forum policy again, nowhere it says that non-native english member can't join or participate in any conversations.

It does say somewhere in there to respect other's differences however... or something in the lines of that, forgot. Can't bother reading them again just for someone that adds up crap to one of the best knowledge base porsche car forum on Internet tho

Small man right?!
Old 02-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #51

You see... com'on.... Bob Chuck, Bill, WrenchBoy, Sunshine, ALLLL have different versions for the oil thread. How is this supposed to help anyone who perhaps have a genuine question about "how often I need to change oil".

Just seak advice from a profesional if you care to know about oil, and porsche cars apparently. I did, and I strongly recommend anyone to do so as well.

Hence my comment "Those Q's shouldn't be allowed to be asked online in all honesty!" which I believe have offended Boxter101 maybe?

and apologies for the insult-back. Again, there is nowhere in the forum policy that says you can't insult a member who've insulted you mouahahah!
Old 02-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmods View Post
Those Q's shouldn't be allowed to be asked online in all honesty! Anyone concerned with oil change, who don't know when to change it, should really speak to a track/team side support engineer or the team manager if possible. He/she will simply ask you: "tell me how you drive your porsche, and at what outside/engine temp, and I will tell you when to change your oil".
Actually, there is a technically based method to determine when to change your oil, regardless of what oil you use, or how or where you choose to drive your car.

Collect both new and used oil samples and send them out for analysis, being sure to request TBN values. When your used sample’s TBN has reached 50% of the virgin oil, it is time to change. Interestingly, as long as your environmental conditions and driving habits remain reasonably constant, this will happen in a fairly narrow mileage range. If you track the car in the summer months, but not in the winter, you will end up with two mileage ranges, one for each season; but they will be both accurate and based upon facts, not opinions..........
Old 02-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #53

Quote:
I would change my motor oil if I would be stuck in traffic for more than 1 (one) hour during a very-very hot summer day for instance.
Sorry, but I don't believe that's remotely necessary. If it was, cars in hot climates would be going pop all over the place. Moreover, if it was, there would be plenty of Boxster drivers who'd need to change their oil on a near daily basis.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #54
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Small man right?!
Hey now! Don't make me send one of Johnny Dangers friends after you ..well I'm headed back down to the garage to finish installing more of the suspension components you inspired me to install
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
Sorry, but I don't believe that's remotely necessary. If it was, cars in hot climates would be going pop all over the place. Moreover, if it was, there would be plenty of Boxster drivers who'd need to change their oil on a near daily basis.
You are possibly right mate. All I was trying to point out (in canadian frenchglish of course) is the concept of oil and the factors that degrade its effective properties... high revs, high temp, aging, etc...

If you understand this, then you should be able to judge when to change your oil. Perhaps not as accurate as JFP in PA's professional method, but very near.

RE "hour hour in traffic thing". I know a guy here with 3 Ferrari (4th on order) and 2 Lambo and believe it or not, every-single-time he take one out for an afternoon spin and garage it back home, he ask his 2 (trained) house handyman "dust-off and flush the oil please". Clearly this guy doesn't ask anyone on forums or even question himself whether his oil is up to, full protection
Old 02-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350 View Post
Hey now! Don't make me send one of Johnny Dangers friends after you ..well I'm headed back down to the garage to finish installing more of the suspension components you inspired me to install
Oh crap... again, more people that I will have to pay twice more than what the current employer pays them
Old 02-25-2012, 04:06 AM   #57

Quote:
RE "hour hour in traffic thing". I know a guy here with 3 Ferrari (4th on order) and 2 Lambo and believe it or not, every-single-time he take one out for an afternoon spin and garage it back home, he ask his 2 (trained) house handyman "dust-off and flush the oil please". Clearly this guy doesn't ask anyone on forums or even question himself whether his oil is up to, full protection
I'll be the first to call "BS".
Old 02-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #58

Garage
Quote:

It is as simple as that. I believe any decent race team or aware track car owner knows that oil should be flushed after each track day/race.

You could translate and apply this into your daily driving. E.g. I would change my motor oil if I would be stuck in traffic for more than 1 (one) hour during a very-very hot summer day for instance. You shouldn’t need to rely on your little km gauge to judge whether you need to change your oil!

If anyone haven't understood the concept of modern "oil" until today, I'd just give up trying to find out and suck on what porsche "generalize" in their (thank god) User manual
You've got to be kidding me.... Your just ridiculous... Like these aren't race cars sir. I feel that none of us have race team managers... And aren't strictly racing...

And you're wrong... He would ask you how often you drive on the highway, the street, and on the track.... Because these each run in a general range of oil temps... If you want to get all technical, you should probably know what you're talking about. NOT RACE CARS.... Thats like asking a proffesional drag racer how often I should do a motor swap....

To end the discussion:
Do an oil change as often as you can afford but don't let it get out of hand.
Around 5k miles is generally safe.
More than every 3k miles is exessive and you're just wasting money.
Don't go more than 10k miles, especially if you haven't done an IMS upgrade.

I believe that fully concludes everything people have said.
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:53 AM   #59

Hey guys, I drive my 05 boxster about 1k a year...should I change oil every year or at 3k?
Thanks
Cattiva72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:42 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattiva72 View Post
Hey guys, I drive my 05 boxster about 1k a year...should I change oil every year or at 3k?
Thanks
Every year.