Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #1

Confirming location of trans fluid fill plug

99 boxster 5-speed

I pulled off the trans pan and loosened the aluminum track arms this morning to drain my trans fluid.

I wanted to confirm that the fill plug is forward (towards the front of the car) of the axle/halfshaft? That's the only thing I saw that looked like a 17mm would fit in there.

Side note: I inherited this car from my father and it came with a tri-square socket and what I thought was a 17mm dedicated allen wrench. It has a box-end on one side and a allen on the other. Came with the Porsche. Only thing I knew that needed such a thing was the trans fluid.

So I go to loosen the fill plug this morning....it's too small. I slip a 17mm socket over it and realize - for some reason, the Porsche came with a 16mm tool that was sitting with the tri-square. Doh.

Running out to get the 17mm insert socket now, figured I'd confirm Ihad the right location for the fill plug while I was at it

Joe

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

This DIY article from Wayne at Pelican Parts should answer all of your questions:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/38-TRANS-Manual_Fluid/38-TRANS-Manual_Fluid.htm

These articles are invaluable (as is Wayne's book, 101 Projects for Your Boxster). I buy a lot of my parts there to help support the expansion and upkeep of the technical articles.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #3

Thanks. I've read that article a bunch of times and somehow consistently missed that first photo showing the location - exactly what I needed confirmation on.

Pelican Parts got about $300 of my dollars last year for 60k maintenance + a 987 motor mount. This year is looking much better as the car is looking great going into the winter - I'll do a brake fluid bleed and oil change of course, but aside from that there is next to nothing that needs a-fixing. It got sorted out last year and has treated me well this year.

That just means I get to spend 8-10 hours detailing the heck out of it

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Nice to hear about another Boxster running great!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:35 AM   #5

Always make sure you can locate and loosen the fill plug FIRST before draining your trans/gear fluid. This way, if you have a problem, you can still drive the car, till resolved.

Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote